Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
  • 2 Post By dv220s
  1.    #1  
    Can we please quash this BS about the 4G having a different processor...

From Qualcomm's website. As you can see the APQ8060 has the same 1.5 capability as it's cellular radio counterparts per it's own manufacturer.

Attachment 58653

http://www.qualcomm.com/documents/fi...duct-brief.pdf
    Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 09/14/2011 at 11:03 AM.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    sketch42 likes this.
    In the front page interview (video) doesn't the guy say that they just bumped up the speed of the processor (not changed processors)? It sounded to me that they just raised the clock speed of the current chip.
  3.    #3  
    Haven't had a chance to watch the video. In the comments in the first story about the 4G people were going off about them putting in a different processor. Figured I'd grab the specs straight from the manufacturer before it turned into some crazy speculation thread.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    LordSecksie likes this.
    crapola! What will we complain about now???

EDIT: Duh! It's not on Sprint!!!

SPRINT! FTW!
    I see pandas.
    Just took a look at it again... At 28 seconds into the video...

"These devices will ship with a 1.5 Gigahertz dual-core, Qualcomm Snapdragon processor. So... still in that 80/60 family, but we did a bump on the <sic> max CPU."
  6.    #6  
    Thanks newman! Wondering if they have found 1.5 stable and will roll it out OTA to the rest of the TP's.

Any chance cellular data takes more processing than wifi? Or just that consumers expect less battery life from a cellular device than a wifi only device?

I'm still thinking it at least has something to do with knowing they had more dev time on the 4G devices than the wifi.

Any other tangible thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Thanks newman! Wondering if they have found 1.5 stable and will roll it out OTA to the rest of the TP's.
    I don't think so...

From ThisIsMyNext: "HP sees this as a separate tier from the Wi-Fi Touchpad, processor boost and all. In other words, donít expect that 1.5GHz processor to trickle down to a Wi-Fi-only variant."
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
  8.    #8  
    Eh either way, we know the TP processor is 1.5 stable in terms of HP and Qualcomm. I can wait for a lil homebrew magic, especially with knowing there will be that HP approved 1.5 kernel.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I don't think so...

From ThisIsMyNext: "HP sees this as a separate tier from the Wi-Fi Touchpad, processor boost and all. In other words, donít expect that 1.5GHz processor to trickle down to a Wi-Fi-only variant."
    If it's the same hardware then a kernal mod will likely add it to the WiFi versions later if they don't do so with an OTA.
    Eh either way, we know the TP processor is 1.5 stable in terms of HP and Qualcomm. I can wait for a lil homebrew magic, especially with knowing there will be that HP approved 1.5 kernel.

Very true. I'm sure we'll see a homebrew solution that will get us to 1.5GHz soon enough.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.

Any chance cellular data takes more processing than wifi? Or just that consumers expect less battery life from a cellular device than a wifi only device?

I'm still thinking it at least has something to do with knowing they had more dev time on the 4G devices than the wifi.

Any other tangible thoughts?

I really don't think the bump from 1.2 to 1.5 in and of itself will have anything but a negligible impact on battery. Yes, if you run it at full load on both 1.2 and 1.5 there will be a bit of a difference, but how much is the processor fully taxed on both cores during day to day use on a Touchpad? These things have great power management as it is, I doubt we would see any impact other than better speed. Plus they will have had time for more speed and power optimization, so the 1.5 bump could actually give us even longer battery life AND speed.

Always optomistic
  12.    #12  
    Good points I was thinking along the same lines.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Just took a look at it again... At 28 seconds into the video...
    Uhhh..in the same video at about 23 seconds the guy says "We made one significant hardware change". (Bold added for emphasis)

Can they really be saying they made a hardware change if they just increased the clock speed of the current chip up to it's max?
    this is how they appease the carriers for offering wife only, which carriers don't want to sell. They want to sell tablets with contracts attached. Better specs help to sweeten the deal...
    mildly disappointed that the .5 is being reserved for the 4g versions right now, hopefully they will role that out to the wifi touchpads but sadly i dont see that happening. And sadly I wont be overclocking my touchpad until pretty close to the warranty dieing.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    this is how they appease the carriers for offering wife only, which carriers don't want to sell. They want to sell tablets with contracts attached. Better specs help to sweeten the deal...
    Carriers definitely don't want to sell a wife only model. That'll spark sexism comments.
    PrinceAlbert and kill_dano like this.
    PCMag seems to say AT&T has confidence in webOS as the third player in the market

"AT&T seems committed to giving WebOS a chance. AT&T emerging devices vice president David Haight said that he thought there was room for a third player beyond iOS and Android in the tablet space. AT&T seems to have voted against the BlackBerry Playbook for now, so that leaves WebOS..."

Hands On: HP TouchPad for AT&T | News & Opinion | PCMag.com