Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    Story at This is my next...
    AT&T wasted no time trotting out its newly-announced TouchPad 4G for an early hands-on opportunity today at a New York event. Of course, there’s not much here that’s outwardly different from the Wi-Fi TouchPad we’re already familiar with — instead, the money is in the guts: on top of the 21Mbps HSPA+ radio, there’s an unexpected processor bump from 1.2GHz up to 1.5GHz of dual-core Snapdragon power. The current unit here is using a special build of webOS 3.0, with so far none of the promised changes in the upcoming OTA update — not to worry, though, the upcoming firmware fix is coming to the 4G model, as well. We’re told the weight is about a few grams more than the Wi-Fi model — not enough that we’d call really noticeable at first pass. HP sees this is a separate tier of the Wi-Fi Touchpad, processor boost and all. In other words, don’t expect that 1.5GHz processor to trickle down to a Wi-Fi-only variant. There’s no AT&T branding, and so far the plan is to keep it that way; additionally, you’ll be able to purchase the tablet without a contract.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    And how is it different?
    That was fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    And how is it different?
    It comes with a cellular service unlike the wifi only version. That and apparently its a faster processor.
  5.    #5  
    and a tiny bit heavier, probably from the GPS chip and HSPA+ radio, we have to 'veer' TP in right direction of weight somehow.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    It comes with a cellular service unlike the wifi only version. That and apparently its a faster processor.
    Yes. But the hands on reports what? Nothing. It's a crap article.
    PrinceAlbert likes this.
  7.    #7  
    Basically it is for pictures and the fact that its near ready
    Good stuff to see HP getting these out.

Yet, one little question:

wait. what? Now, a "few more grams" is "not really noticeable"

I R Confuzzled.
    I see pandas.
    The TP4G is basically the same as the Wifi-only model. Only difference seems to be a cell radio, GPS, and the faster processor.

At least it's more "4G" than the Veer. TP4G supports 21mbps.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    kkhanmd likes this.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    The TP4G is basically the same as the Wifi-only model. Only difference seems to be a cell radio, GPS, and the faster processor.

At least it's more "4G" than the Veer. TP4G supports 21mbps.
    I want to know how the 1.5 ghz CPU impacts the user expereince.
    I want to know how the 1.5 ghz CPU impacts the user expereince.
    If you own a TP, I bet there will be a homebrew "overclock" shortly after the TP4G launches. I'm sure they both use the same processor.
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Not surprised, as HP will release a laptop and 2-3 months later release the same laptop with minor spec upgrades.
    If you own a TP, I bet there will be a homebrew "overclock" shortly after the TP4G launches. I'm sure they both use the same processor.
    You're probably right. Im sure the wifi only TP is underclocked to 1.2 GHz
    Yea, I'm pretty sure someone here mentioned that the processor in the TP is rated at 1.5GHz, but HP limits it to 1.2. I think they just wanted to make the 4G model more appealing.

Also, is this TP4G the rumored "white Touchpad with faster processor" that we've been hearing about? (Even though they've only shown a black TP4G so far)
  15.    #15  
    what we need is a TP high defination before Apple comes out with it
    I'm glad to hear that its available without a contract.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    I'm glad to hear that its available without a contract.
    that is pretty much the rule for most tablets, though the only way they come down on tablet price is either contract or bundle with a mifi
    Interesting...

Now, releasing the 4G with the updates and bugs fixed, the HP can send some ToucHPads 4G to EXACTLY same journalists that wrote the bad reviews, and see what they have to say...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    The CPU in the TP is rated at 1.5 ghz, but was underclocked to 1.2 ghz in the wifi version - I would speculate that with the additional workload of handling a cell radio and GPS, they increased the clock speed to 1.5 GHz using the same CPU.

That's a 25% increase in speed - when the pending OTA hits it, it should be extremely fast - perhaps the fastest pad on the market, today (not that this would make a real difference for most tasks, but, its nice to know).
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    dont think its the same exact processor...from what ive read here in the forums, its possible that the current TP processor isnt gsm/cdma capable, so they had to put in a cellular chip-ready processor..the 1.5

i dont really give two poops about 300 mghz... plus a homebrew overclock would do the trick for me
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast