Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Being the gadget geek that already has two iPad 2's (I contend mostly for our twin toddlers for educational apps), my wife wasn't thrilled when I told her I was buying the Touchpad. "But it's better" I said, and when pressed (pre-launch) I stated that I expected the overall internet browsing experience to be better on it. I didn't go into detail with her, but for me, whether it be various sites that load poorly, no flash (duh), poor ability to interact with commenting systems (especially Disqus), or just the overall feel, I hadn't been thrilled with the iPad experience and had high hopes for the Touchpad.

Fast forward to yesterday - we're sitting on the couch, she on an iPad and me with the Touchpad. I hear "crap" come out of her mouth followed by "Can the iPad do Flash"? "Nope" I reply, "but the Touchpad can". She proceeds to tell me that the Nordstroms catalog she wanted to look at was Flash. I proceeded to get her the Touchpad and she was able to look at the catalog.

Unfortunately this was "mostly" a win because the Touchpad locked up twice in the middle of her scrolling through the catalog (anybody care to track down the Nordstrom Flash catalog and see if it happens to them??). I'm not sure whether it was the fact that she tried to click on one of the items, zoom, or something else, but it locked up twice and a power down/reboot was needed. Had it not locked up I would have absolutely "pwnt" her , but unfortunately the lockup, in her mind, almost negated the experience of getting the catalog up.

In any case I think it shows the promise of the Touchpad. Yes, there are a few refinements that are needed, but hopefully my supposition that the Touchpad will be a better "internet" experience holds true.
    Last edited by StompAWOT; 07/12/2011 at 02:08 PM.
    The Nordstroms catalog that I looked at is a pretty flashy site with a lot of hover overs and all. Not really a good site to look at on ANY mobile device. I looked it up on my phone. It loads up just fine but I cant really navigate to anything.
    Out of curiosity, which part of Nordstrom wasn't viewable on the iPad? I just browsed through the catalog without any issue. On the desktop, it uses Flash but on the iPad it reverts to HTML 5.

Screenshot: Stratus App 2011-07-12 at 12:13:13 PM.png
    This is what I looked at:

Anniversary Sale 2011 Catalog Preview
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Fair enough - I didn't bother to check it on my computer until you said something. Me thinks a "hover over" is a hard thing to accomplish on a tablet...

Link for anybody who cares about the offending site....and no, this isn't an ad by me for Nordstrom's.

Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    This is what I looked at:

How'd you navigate to that page from the main page? I'm curious to see how they handle these sorts of things on non-Flash devices.

Edit: Never mind, I see the link at the top left. It's a small purple link.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    How'd you navigate to that page from the main page? I'm curious to see how they handle these sorts of things on non-Flash devices.

Edit: Never mind, I see the link at the top left. It's a small purple link.
    All I did was type in Nordstroms catalog into google and it was the first one. I didnt even see their main page.
    Quote Originally Posted by StompAWOT View Post
    Fair enough - I didn't bother to check it on my computer until you said something. Me thinks a "hover over" is a hard thing to accomplish on a tablet...

Link for anybody who cares about the offending site....and no, this isn't an ad by me for Nordstrom's.

Yeah, those kinds of sites will not work properly on tablets how they were intended without a mouse. That was the whole thing about flash on mobile devices when it first started.