1.    #1  
    I've asked for this about a dozen times over the past 18 months - the Thread Title changes as I can't figure out a good name for the request.

This time, I'm going to describe what I want and perhaps, somebody can tell me the technical name.

What I'm NOT looking for: VPN.

Using Windows parlance: I want to open my TP, go to settings and hit Join A Network. You could find this under My Computer, Network ID. Hitting that would walk you through joining a domain or workgroup.

Domain is for servers (larger business) and workgroup is usually for smaller business or home networks.

Once you have WiFi access to your network, all you would need is to enter the workgroup name and BAMM!, you would have file access to all the available computer and file servers your network has to offer.

I know a wonderful interface for the file surfing would be the amazing and indispensable Pre Hombrew app Internalz (by the equally amazing Jason Robitaille).

Once set up (you have secussifuly 'joined' the network), I would like to touch something similar to My Networks (XP parlance), see all the available destinations (PC, file servers, print servers, etc.), pick one, say my RAID 5 Buffalo drive and see all my family photos, pick and choose the ones I want to be on my TP, select and move them there.

If this is a business machine as well as a home computing tool, this 'app' seems a requirement.

Otherwise, we're all doomed to deal with box.net, dropbox, USB cable, etc and the multiple steps each requires.

This type of instant WiFi network communication is the reason laptops became an acceptable business tool - you walk in the door, ask what the WEP code is, connect and you're connected to all the resources of the network.

I'd like my HP TouchPad to be that powerful / useful / accepted / connected.
    Last edited by PF Graham; 07/12/2011 at 06:38 PM. Reason: bad syntex
    a windows share client/samba client would be what you're looking for I think... as far as I know it doesn't exist.
    I seem to remember a post on this forum about using a shell along with the 'mount' command to mount a CIFS (Windows) share. I haven't tried it myself, it wouldn't be joining a domain in the traditional sense (no group policies, user auth, etc).

Also, there's really no such thing as joining a workgroup... all that does is tell your computer what group it should broadcast itself as being a part of and filtering the browsing to computers that broadcast that same group name.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jemojc View Post
    a windows share client/samba client would be what you're looking for I think... as far as I know it doesn't exist.
    Not to be too sarcastic, but that's sorta' why I put '...requested feature' in the title.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by StarDestroyer View Post
    I seem to remember a post on this forum about using a shell along with the 'mount' command to mount a CIFS (Windows) share. I haven't tried it myself, it wouldn't be joining a domain in the traditional sense (no group policies, user auth, etc).

Also, there's really no such thing as joining a workgroup... all that does is tell your computer what group it should broadcast itself as being a part of and filtering the browsing to computers that broadcast that same group name.
    I was using the 'join' in the more traditional sense rather then the more specific technology terminology.

I don't recall a CIFS protocol but I could look.

A primer for the uneducated (or slovenly) for all these crazy acronyms including CIFS, SMB and all things dialect can be found here. Really boring if you ask me.

Anywho, again, I ask, is anybody working on a brain-dead network conection for the TP?

If not, why? It should be 'just that simple'!