Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hagster
  1.    #1  
    I am trying to decide if I should purchase either the future-proof buy back program or the accidental protection plan for the touchpad. I purchased the protection plan for the Sprint pre minus and it was definitely worth it for me, however I am not convinced about the protection plan for the Touchpad especially since the hardware is solid. A little bulky, yes but in my opinion the device hardware is still high quality. Any ideas? What are your thoughts and what are you guys doing?
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    No. It's a scam beyond recognition.
    Devices
    -Sprint Pre & FrankenPre 2
    -AT&T Pre3 4G
    Accessories
    -5 Touchstones for phones & Touchpad
    I went with SquareTrade. I got 2 years of coverage with accidental damage for $69.99. They were running a special over 4th of July. No other fees for shipping or making a claim. I did consider Buy Back, but opted not to buy because I can "accidentally" break my TouchPad and get $499.99 back.
    I never buy such warranties personally, because I'm careful with my toys. In all my 12 years with Sprint i've never had their insurance either. So it depends on how flimsy you are personally and if you see it as an added value.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Also, you have 90 days to purchase through SquareTrade. Try coupon code THIRTY30 for 30% off.
    as a rule. Don't insure anything that you can afford to replace. Use it to cover for big things that could reck your life, like your house or car, but understand that they will be making money on your premiums and to cover themselves against fruad. If you like, put some aside every month to cover all your various tech. That way when something breaks, you have the money to replace it, without having to fight over smallprint with the insurer. Best of all you keep the profit that they would otherwise make.
    cshrader likes this.
  7.    #7  
    The only insurance plan I have ever bought on Sprint was for the Pre. In my case the Sprint plan was worth it because my kids have a history of accidentally dropping my phone when they play games on my phone. I also had tons of issues with the Sprint Pre hardware (speakers, keyboard, slider, etc). So for a little peace of mind, the Pre insurance plan was worth it. In this case however, the kids are not going to touch my touchpad, and if they do they better be seating down
    Don't do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by WaleE View Post
    The only insurance plan I have ever bought on Sprint was for the Pre. In my case the Sprint plan was worth it because my kids have a history of accidentally dropping my phone when they play games on my phone. I also had tons of issues with the Sprint Pre hardware (speakers, keyboard, slider, etc). So for a little peace of mind, the Pre insurance plan was worth it. In this case however, the kids are not going to touch my touchpad, and if they do they better be seating down
    there will always be the odd device you buy where the insurance would have been well worth it. But over a lifetime of gadgets your better off not bothering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TouchPad_Owner_Andrew View Post
    I went with SquareTrade. I got 2 years of coverage with accidental damage for $69.99. They were running a special over 4th of July. No other fees for shipping or making a claim. I did consider Buy Back, but opted not to buy because I can "accidentally" break my TouchPad and get $499.99 back.
    Doesn't SquareTrade have a deductible for their coverage?

I'm rather careful with my stuff. I only get ADH coverage if it was something I specifically knew was going to see a lot of rough/hazardous conditions. Otherwise, the manufacturer warranty + a credit card's automatic warranty extension are good enough.
    Same and had a 25% rebate that knocked it down to $70ish for Two Years and accidental (covers drops, spills, and system failure) Actually, the best thing about SquareTrade is their they can't fix it...you get your money back, which I can imagine happening since nothing lasts forever.

Either way, Best Buy's coverage is WAY OVER PRICED and I know this simply because one of the Best Buy reps was able to give me a $100 off the normal $200 or 250 3-year standard price. They rather have money, even less money, then not buying their service plans at all. Sorli...
  12.    #12  
    Enough said. I appreciate your thoughts on the matter and I will NOT be doing it. Keeping my fingers crossed that the Touchpad holds up. I have already purchase the Touchpad cover so that I can keep the device in good shape. Are any of you guys using a protective screen cover? I am currently leaning against it unless someone can convince me otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    No. It's a scam beyond recognition.
    wrong. Or would you like to see the 3 new digital cameras, new xbox, 2 new cell phones and new TV that I got out of mine?

I did consider Buy Back, but opted not to buy because I can "accidentally" break my TouchPad and get $499.99 back.
    Until they repair it, send it back and mark your accidental damage as fulfilled and then you end up with what you had and wasted accidental damage.

Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    as a rule. Don't insure anything that you can afford to replace.
    this is a good general rule of thumb.

oddly enough for me, if I dont buy it, I have more problems out of those products and if I do buy it, I have less problems out of those products. murphy's law I suppse lol

Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Either way, Best Buy's coverage is WAY OVER PRICED and I know this simply because one of the Best Buy reps was able to give me a $100 off the normal $200 or 250 3-year standard price. They rather have money, even less money, then not buying their service plans at all. Sorli...
    This is against their company policy.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)