Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi all, Before purchasing a product I like to do research to find the best product to meet my needs as well as the best product overall. I usually read many reviews as well as check out the reviews of real customers of the product. Ironicly, this is what lead me to choosing my Pre two years ago especially after reading a few reviews on Amazon, a decision that has changed my life and also led me to this wonderful community. So it goes without saying " I love my Pre and webOS".
    That being said, I have found quite a incongruity between the corporate reviews (ie: Engadget, Cnet, Zdnet etc.) and the real life reviews from people who have purchased a Touchpad.
    These are excerpts of real reviews from early adopters on Amazon, quite an eye opener compared to the corporate reviews. Check it out!

"While my iPad seems very app-centric, webOS 3.0 feels more like "the matrix has you". It takes your online world and puts it into the tablet. I love that. All of those websites I often interact with get glued together seamlessly so I feel like I'm "jacked in".

A major strength of the TouchPad is the web functionality that won't work on the iPad. For example, I ran Amazon's cloud music player and Grooveshark just fine (awesome!)."
    --------------------------------
    "First I saw the commercial, then I found out about the open source movement inside of WebOS, and how unlike Apple, there was no cat and mouse games, Palm didn't support it, but didn't block it. I saw the UI, it was much appealing than Android, which to me looks chaotic and not the clean simplicity that we all come to expect from a google product. Although it wasn't as "nice" looking as iOS, and it didn't run as smooth as it, WebOS made up for it with true multitasking, and a clean enough looking UI to make an iOS lover happy."
    "It is elegant. It is refined. It does some common, basic things beautifully, unlike the others - be they android or iPad. The rest - Facebook, Kindle, thousands of apps - they will happen, but its the core device that I truly like. If the core device is rough, no amount of apps can fix that fundamental goof. -

Notifications. If you get an email in the middle of reading a webpage, for example, The iPad interrupts whatever you are doing, and blares out the notification right in the middle of the screen, right in your face - as if I would miss it if was done quietly off to the side. The Touchpad is far more refined - the notifications come up on the top. If it is an email, it will update in the background, and if the tablet is sleeping, the home button gently glows. The iPad/Androids are crude and uncouth in comparison.

Is this a big deal? Once again, to me, yes it is. When I am reading a book, the last thing I want is to be interrupted by a BIG notification blob in the middle of the page telling me I have got a text message. Say it quietly on the side - and I will get to it"

----------------------------------

"For about a week I had an IPAD2, and it was a very nice tablet, easy to use, great display, and tons of Apps. The main problem for me was the lack of flash support. I didn't realize how much my work required Flash until I had a browser that wouldn't support it. I gave the Puffin browser a try, but its Flash support was terrible. IOS 4.3 is refined, however, I still found it to be clunky when switching between apps (multi-tasking).

Please check out the TouchPad. It deserves a look! Don't get sucked into the negativity from IPAD and Android *******/fangirls on the web, as they have their own vested interest for TouchPad to not succeed. Best Buy employees, don't poo poo the TouchPad until you have a chance to learn what it can do. The demo app from HP (only comes on the demo units) does make the tablet seize up at times. Before the demo app was loaded it worked fine. My TouchPad works fine at home (no demo app)."
    "The look and feel of the touchpad is very nice. Other reviews made it sound like it would be a big brick, but I barely notice that it is a little thicker than the Ipad, and it feels very nice in my hands. In a week or two I'll have the HP Case, and I won't have any worries about finger prints. Fingerprints on the Ipad screen were just as much of an issue, and I find myself needed to wipe it clean occassionally. As for the back, no concerns there.

Here's to HP doing a great job with their first WebOS pad out of the gate, and looking forward to the apps that will be coming."
    "I will have to admit, that when I first unboxed it, there was a bit of relearning that I had to do. I've been an iPhone/iPad user for quite awhile now. But, the more time I spend with this product, the more I see how superior and natural the operating system is to android and iOS. Workflow, notifications, and organization are all more intuitive. There are some minor bugs in the software and it can be a bit sluggish at moments, but this is easy to fix through over-the-air updates which HP has already promised.

I'm sold. Buy it! "
    "Notifications? Perfect. Multi-tasking? PERFECT. I can switch between apps, and views multiple apps, instantly. For example, this morning I listened live to a radio station through their website, while reading the news in another app, while responding an an e-mail in another. Why is tabbed browsing the norm now? We like to multi-task. Products from Apple and others force you to focus on one item, but we are humans and it's just not our preference. Last night I listened to my Amazon Cloud Player, while reading Google Reader, in-between an instant messaging convo with my friend. Every time he IM'd me guess what happened? His message scrolled across the task/status bar at the top. I was able to instantly read his response and not for a millisecond stop what I was doing.
    I think I'm an HP fan boy now. I was very discouraged when this was announced, and with all of the negative reviews the product got. I thought it was a sad play that they copied Apple directly. I was wrong. webOS DOES make all the difference for a tablet."
    "was tempted by the Samsung 10.1 while I was shopping for tabs at Best Buy. The hardware on the 10.1 is really sweet, super thin and high-end. But, I didn't figure out honeycomb right away. In fact I kept trying to swipe up from the bottom of the screen (kudos blackberry for stealing that). Google+ and the new gmail design look amazing so why does honeycomb look like a cheap game of 80s lazer tag? I think its safe to say that WebOS is much easier to use and looks better to boot. And that's what we want from a tablet right? Easy to use, content consumption etc. And the HP Touchpad giveth very muchth."
    -----------------------------------
    "I almost didn't buy this, after reading all the negative reviews comparing the Touchpad to the iPad. I went to Bestbuy and played around with it, and still wasn't sure, even after months of anticipation. I finally decided to get it, even though I had a sinking feeling I may regret it afterwards.

I have had the product for about a day now, but I love it already.
    Overall, I am impressed by this tablet and am a real fan. I intend to show it off to others to make them realize what a great product this is. I really see this product set going far and doing well, once people start using it and seeing it."
    "this tablet is so much better than the ipad, i have an ipad 2 i got recently and a friend got me the Hp touchpad yesterday for my birthday, I played around with it and i could see the difference, it had such a better multitasking software with the card view and it supports flash something the ipad 2 doesn't do, i think the touchpad gives you such a better experience on a tablet and it has a growing app store. i think if you are deciding between an ipad an this touchpad i would recommend the touchpad."
    "The Touchpad is a great tablet! Not sure what all the "experts" were looking at. Yes, there needs to be a software update to fix a few things, which should be downloadable soon, but my goodness, it is so much more intuitive than the iPad2. I played with one of those fruits in a store and it didn't take me long to get lost - couldn't figure out how to navigate. WebOS is so much more intuitive, and who cares about 500,000 apps that no one will ever use (iPad). I need about a dozen excellent apps, and I am good to go."

Sounds to me like, given a fair impartial trial, the Touchpad does favorably against the iPad and the various android tablets.

P.S. Of the 43 current customer reviews, 40 are 4stars or above.
    You can read the full reviews here: http://www.amazon.com/HP-TouchPad-9-...bosnation0e-20
    Last edited by vza33; 07/12/2011 at 03:27 PM.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    This is good to hear.
    Given the same impartial trial it does worse as well in other areas. Where's doc editing, where's Netflix, HBO GO, logmein, so forth so forth...oh yes, they're coming. Well someone who needs such right now would pass on the TP and look at Android or iOS. Diehard webOSites would make do till the mythical updates come.
    Me personally, I just wish it were lighter cause I could overlook the other issues for now. Having owned a Galaxy Tab 10.1 (and currently own a Tab 7"), it's a big difference.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    I will be forwarding this on. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    Given the same impartial trial it does worse as well in other areas. Where's doc editing, where's Netflix, HBO GO, logmein, so forth so forth...oh yes, they're coming. Well someone who needs such right now would pass on the TP and look at Android or iOS. Diehard webOSites would make do till the mythical updates come.
    Me personally, I just wish it were lighter cause I could overlook the other issues for now. Having owned a Galaxy Tab 10.1 (and currently own a Tab 7"), it's a big difference.

You gotta run over to Chuck Zitto's new gym and do some bicep curls. Or, do like my 10 year old daughter, and rest the TP on a nice pillow.
    Palm III -> Palm m500 -> Zire 71 -> Zire 72 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre Minus -> TWO Touchpads 16gb -. and unfortunately, a Motorola Photon 4G...
    jpenico, jetsen and hparsons like this.
    If they come, then they're not myths, they're fulfilled promises, right?
    jetsen likes this.
    Well, when the Androids don't kill my Exchange accounts without reason, maybe I can think in use seriously. And yes, I have a GL Ace, an Archos 10.1 and a Galaxy Tab 7 here...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by popologuy View Post
    You gotta run over to Chuck Zitto's new gym and do some bicep curls. Or, do like my 10 year old daughter, and rest the TP on a nice pillow.
    Thanks for the tip but I'll pass.

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    If they come, then they're not myths, they're fulfilled promises, right?
    Ofcourse.

Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Well, when the Androids don't kill my Exchange accounts without reason, maybe I can think in use seriously. And yes, I have a GL Ace, an Archos 10.1 and a Galaxy Tab 7 here...

Best Regards...
    Exchange works fine on my Tab 7 (VZW model), very well with the default email app.

Very interesting comments from the users. Actually, wish I knew Stephen DeWitt's email address or Leo's for that matter and pass on the good news. Instead of quoting blogs that no one besides us read (Precentral.net, Engadget, Gizmodo, etc...), quote the reviews on Amazon and elsewhere that says exceptionally more in my eyes.

I love the quote above that referenced not knowing what the Tech Review industry had been using since his HP TouchPad was kicking and screaming goodness. Actually, I suspect the pre-release models had problems and these issues were reported 10 fold in negative reviews.

I personally love my Touchpad and to be honest...just need a keyboard since my touch typing on screen doesn't serve very well. Looking forward to the OTA update coming sooner then later and great times for webOS faithful. Sorli...
    vza33 likes this.
    Exchange works fine on my Tab 7 (VZW model), very well with the default email app.

While I respect your opinion I honestly wonder why you are here? This is a forum for webOS enthusiast and people who own webOS products who need support. Yes we talk about the differences with other platforms, but we use our experience with webOS as a basis. If you love Android or iOS so much there are other forums for you.
    hparsons and ksht like this.
    I would assume the reason there is a major difference between the tech review world and owners of the TouchPad is because the TouchPad met the needs of the people who bought it.

Compared to an iPad 2; however, the TouchPad's capabilities are significantly limited. Reviewers have been pretty kind to the Touchpad IMHO. They've overlooked some of the OS glitches and missing features while hoping new apps and OS updates will help the device out.

If people want some of those services badly along with streaming media with transcoding from their home computer they should get Playon. Playon streams extremely well to the Touchpad through the browser (since it supports flash!). I can watch Netflix, Comedy Central, etc on my Touchpad using Playon. You can also watch Hulu, Crackle, and Amazon Video on the Touchpad. Last thing I have to say to you, I've been using the Touchpad since the 1st of July heavily on flash sites. The browser has not crashed once! Hate to say it but Android can't go one hour without flash crashing and iOS does not support it.
    jetsen likes this.
    Thank you vza33! I have been saying that I don't understand the overwhelming media bias against webOS, and feeling like my cries have been falling on deaf ears. I received my touchpad on Friday, have used it for four days (incessantly), and it has performed brilliantly. Aside from a few minor bugs and lack of apps, which will be addressed by OTA and developers/time, this is a solid, intuitive device that allows me to work the way I want to work - like someone with ADD! *lol* People I've shown it to (even diehard fruit people) have remarked how cool it is, and have wanted to play with it. So why all the negative press? I think some of them started playing with it during the profile loading phase of startup, and others may have even gotten a lemon, but wow does my TP scream. I'm starting to smell a rat in the coordinated orchestra of negative reviews..
    vza33 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    While I respect your opinion I honestly wonder why you are here? This is a forum for webOS enthusiast and people who own webOS products who need support. Yes we talk about the differences with other platforms, but we use our experience with webOS as a basis. If you love Android or iOS so much there are other forums for you.
    I'm here because i have an opinion. Sue me if you disagree or just ignore me. It's that simple.

"coordinated orchestra of negative reviews" you say.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    If people want some of those services badly along with streaming media with transcoding from their home computer they should get Playon. Playon streams extremely well to the Touchpad through the browser (since it supports flash!). I can watch Netflix, Comedy Central, etc on my Touchpad using Playon. You can also watch Hulu, Crackle, and Amazon Video on the Touchpad. Last thing I have to say to you, I've been using the Touchpad since the 1st of July heavily on flash sites. The browser has not crashed once! Hate to say it but Android can't go one hour without flash crashing and iOS does not support it.
    Hmmm, disagree there. My Tab hasn't crashed due to flash, and definitely not in the past hour. Not opera/dolphin/stock/e.t.c.
    To each his/her own.

I honestly am not at all surprised by all of this. From the very beginning when I got my Touchpad I have thought that most of the issues have been blown way out of proportion. I kind of expected exactly this, based on my own use of my Touchpad, that yes, it has some work to be done, but it's still incredible and I wouldn't trade it. I expected a disparity to develop between the professional reviews and real world users, because there was no way I just happened to be the only person lucky enough not to have massive issues with the TP. Lol, I am not that lucky, and it seems I was right, many people are very happy with them, even with the current lack of some apps and a few bugs.
    grappler likes this.
    Also, I don't really feel this thread needs to turn into yet another Android and/or iOS vs Touchpad argument. . . There are plenty of those. The OP was about how people seem to actually be loving the Touchpad. Why can't we at least have ONE thread that doesn't have to have negativity in it? Sure, comparison is valid, but it doesn't have to be brought into EVERYTHING. Just sayin.
    Last edited by lukehale; 07/12/2011 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Typos
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast