Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hparsons
  1.    #1  
    I appreciated this review by Patrick Moorhead who has worked with HP for 20 years. HP screwed up the initial launch but I'm inclined to believe also that "the issues will be cleared up".

10 Days With the HP TouchPad Tablet | TechPinions
    Well, I certainly agree with all of his points. He summed up everything very well. It just seems like HP cannot convey all of the benefits of WebOS to the public. If its not an iPad or on Android, nobody cares...

I definitely have my disappointments with the TouchPad, but you can't beat the OS. It's the only tablet on the market that does things the way I need it to.
    Browser File Access: Without a specific app, I’d like to be able to upload files through the browser. For example, even if I didn’t have a Google Plus app, I’d like to upload photos via the browser. This requires file system access to do. The BlackBerry PlayBook did this very well and in many ways, compensated for the lack of apps.
    I noticed in the Patrick Moorhead Review of the TouchPad that he made issue of the fact that you couldn’t upload a photo via the browser. I know that on my Pre Plus that I can hold down the function key and touch a picture and get a drop down to “share Image” or “Copy to Photos”. Does this function not exist on the TouchPad?
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    I noticed in the Patrick Moorhead Review of the TouchPad that he made issue of the fact that you couldn’t upload a photo via the browser. I know that on my Pre Plus that I can hold down the function key and touch a picture and get a drop down to “share Image” or “Copy to Photos”. Does this function not exist on the TouchPad?
    Technically, he may be correct (I don't know, since I haven't tried uploading from the browser); however, in practical use, he is not.

On the TouchPad, it's somewhat similar to what you described on the Pre.

You open the Photos app. Keep in mind, this shows you all of the photos, both on your device, and on the accounts you have on the device (for instance, Facebook).

You select the local photo you want to upload, then select the Album you want it to be in, and it uploads it.

For instance, on my Facebook page, I have a collection of photos called Kids and Grands. That shows up as an "Album" on my TouchPad. I just took a screenshot picture that I did a few days ago that was in my Screen capturs "album" on the local machine. I selected the photo, chose the Add to Album icon in the lower right side (looks like two photos stacked with a "+" sign). From the pop-up, I chose the Kids and Grands, and now that screenshot is right there on Facebook with the photos of my kids and their kids.

Nothing to it.

I wonder how many of the "negatives" written about by people are really simply a lack of understanding how to use the device...

And yes, it's different than the iPad. Guess why?
    threed61#WN likes this.
    HP recognized that WebOS was a good product. That is why they bought Palm. For whatever reason (no need to speculate) Palm was hurting in the end, and HP swooped in and bought them while they were down. HP (Palm is now HP!) has then transformed WebOS into something that can run on Tablets, Phones and PCs. Palm did not have the influence or money to do this. Now after a year (or so) of ownership HP has started to put its new division to "public" work. The developers had a few months to make apps, and now we all have the first edition of the Touchpad and Webos3 in our hands.

What people seem to forget is that all version 1.0 products have bugs. They all have areas where improvement is needed, and we have to give HP time to fix these things. HP so far has shown that they are engaged and desire to deliver the best product possible. Give HP Time!
    <arguing removed>
  7.    #7  
    I'd like to know history of Envy device upgrades if anyone wants to share. I understood those are the top of the line?
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Um, this is actually what he said:

Browser File Access: Without a specific app, I’d like to be able to upload files through the browser. For example, even if I didn’t have a Google Plus app, I’d like to upload photos via the browser. This requires file system access to do. The BlackBerry PlayBook did this very well and in many ways, compensated for the lack of apps.

Not the same as what you guys are talking about.