Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By sledge007
  • 1 Post By dj ozone
  1.    #1  
    Months ago when they announced TouchPad, I had a hard time understanding what was so great about a tablet. I have a decent PC at home, 3 years old, but near top of the line when I bought it...it was the most expensive on the floor. I wasn't really tech-savvy then & probably paid more than I should have, but oh well....old news.

I didn't get caught in the hype until very recently, say a month ago, then it was a financial issue. I had a hard time justifying the expenditure. I don't really need a TouchPad, but I sure want one.

Now every single day I HAVE to read real owner reviews. I kind of came into an unexpected windfall and needed to hear real reviews from real owners and make sure I'm doing the right thing. Well the more I read, the more I want and I still have to wait 4 more days.

I haven't bought anything on a launch day before, and have never been so anxious to acquire something that I can recall. THIS IS WORSE THAN WAITING FOR CHRISTMAS!!!!

I'd just like to ask all TouchPad owners if they could tone it down a bit, or maybe install a cease & desist order until after the 15th... Canadian Launch Day.

I'm going out of my mind, I need an intervention and I don't even have it yet.

thank you for your full compliance
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    a word of advice from an experienced early adaptor and launch day buyer: don't get your expectations up too high
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    As a long time Palm user/supporter I was both excited and nervous about the Touchpad. No tech item is ever flawless out of the gate and they only get better if they survive and evolve with more generations. But my trusty Thinkpad is pushing 6 years old (it is still a great and reliable unit). I already tried the Netbook way and found it totally underwhelming. It isn't a laptop in performance but it isn't small or light enough to be anything new. The continued dependence on bloated Windows and its need for tons of space and ram while killing battery life make it a loser. The action and true innovation is in the smartphone world and the tablets that has spawned.

As a Pre+ owner I am familiar with the beauty of webOS as well as the issues. Having used many Apple items and tested various Androids I knew the TP was what I wanted to have. So despite the 1st generation stigma I decided to jump in ASAP.

After a week of relentless use I'm beyond satisfied. I have used it about 95% of the time for my email, web and music. I have averaged 14 hours+ battery life, reasonable stability (one reset to date) and ever growing satisfaction with a system people like my Dr are impressed with in action. She spoke of picking one up as she is not satisfied with her families iPad2 largely due to web issues - especially the lack of Flash (she knew of that and is NOT a techie).

Yes the calendar & phone integration is a mess, and I have seen the occasional "pause", but I'm willing to bet it will be fixed soon. Meanwhile I get 80% of what I wanted from a tablet and will plan to use it as my main access for an upcoming 4 week trip based on the success I've had over the week of heavy usage.

I want and expect that it will improve leaps and bounds as the software and OS get real world user feedback. There have certainly been plenty of great suggestions and opinions made although with far too negative a tone IMO. If you like the Palm world as I and many of my family / friends / customers do then I like to see positive input to make it better. The hardware is solid and the OS good with the real potential to be great. It would be a shame if those who appreciate it end up turning HP against continued improvement and support. I hope they manage to make this all it can be. Too much negativity in the guise of "tough love" and we may find ourselves with poor options of far less elegant OS's. I sure hope that isn't the end result.

Written on Touchpad using virtual keyboard. Waiting for delivery of keyboard, case & charger delivery due 7/!2.
    John

Proudly Microsoft/Apple Free with HP/Palm Pre+/ Driod Bionic / Verizon Wireless TouchPad SOON! NOW!
    Quote Originally Posted by timeweb2 View Post
    As a long time Palm user/supporter I was both excited and nervous about the Touchpad. No tech item is ever flawless out of the gate and they only get better if they survive and evolve with more generations
    lol the man just said he cant take these user reviews and you just give him an excellent long user review!....That was cold
    PrinceAlbert likes this.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    lol the man just said he cant take these user reviews and you just give him an excellent long user review!....That was cold
    Just trying to improve the tone. That seemed to be his underlying issue. Or I p***ed him off big time!

(Uh-oh after rereading the OP he IS positive on the TP & just wants the chance to buy one! Oh well, maybe it stokes the fire even more)
    John

Proudly Microsoft/Apple Free with HP/Palm Pre+/ Driod Bionic / Verizon Wireless TouchPad SOON! NOW!
    My TouchPad is horrible, it is so bad that I cannot put it down, I spend hour after hour surfing the net, watching movies with flash, checking my email and so on
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Hey Sledge -- I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry...maybe even wait for a month or so. Right now, there is not much the TouchPad can do that your Pre can already do -- just a larger screen. I bought mine at Day 2 and am sending it back today. I love webOS, but I am no longer giving up my money for a device that is still "coming soon" even after launch.

Hopefully by the time it rolls around to you, there will be the ability to read eBooks, watch NetFlix, view emails without rebooting the email app, and have some webOS 3 adaptations of at least a few of our favorite webOS 2 apps. For me, it's not ready for primetime. I'm no longer letting myself set my expectations for a webOS product so low.
    OP

I'm right there with you. I was on a mission last night. I'm from Toronto, and a friend back home works at staples. This is in Whitby. Anyways, her store has a floor model out and working, so last night i was on a mission. I went to 2 staples, they both received their shipment however, for some reason these calgary stores seem to be told "not to put it out until launch day or open boxes" so i was disappointed. Anyways, Staples staff seem to be pumped about it. they have advertising all of their stores and seem to want to promote.

Futureshop on the other hand, are well, i don't know how to put it forum-friendly.

But i'm right there with you. few more days. Friday morning i'll be there first thing at one of the futureshops, probably the southland futureshop since it's close by work.