Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By hparsons
  1.    #1  
    This past week, I spend some time Thursday with my daughter and son-in-law. He's a big Apple fan (actually, to be more accurate, he's more of a big "whatever I've got right now" fan, and that just happens to be iPhone and iPad), my daughter is more of a "if it's a gadget, I'm probably going to enjoy playing with it" person.

It was Thursday evening, and I'd had the TouchPad for almost a week, so naturally I had to show it off. He had given her a TouchPad for an early Christmas present, and she was genuinely interested in seeing the TouchPad closer (she had a short look at it as we were watching fireworks on July 4th). I was anxious to rub a few things in on him

When I first told them I had it (the night of the 4th), his response was "Well, at least they probably had plenty of them on hand". Score one for him (for now). When I brought it over, he asked something along the lines of "Have you downloaded all eleven apps for it yet?". Score another for him. There's more than 11, but point made.

My daughter's a photographer. As a matter of fact, she just recently went full time into it, after having doing shoots weekends and some weeknights for the past three years. Her website that shows samples of her work and lets users order prints was written using Flash, a lot of Flash modules. Of course, that was one of the first things I had to show her (and him). She'd never seen her website on a tablet. She loved it. Score one for me. He scowled, score another one for me.

After I connected to their WiFi (and thankfully, it got an IP address with no trouble, unlike my own router), I showed them a few of the features. He was unimpressed, frankly, even she was only mildly impressed. When I showed them how it ran multiple programs at once, she was more impressed (score another for me), and he commented "That is all blown way out of proportion". I showed her how I could easily cut and paste from an email to Facebook, then get right back to the email without exiting FB, and she was impressed again. He scowled again (score two more). He started asking about apps again, and I admitted there weren't many. He showed me a very nice photo app. I showed him the photos in Exhibition mode. We both agreed, his app was better (way too little control on the exhibition mode). Score one for him. I think we were 4-3 at this point, my favor. Then I showed him the Facebook Exhibition app, and he even grinned and said "OK, that's pretty cool". That made it 5-3.

Their son is six months old. I opened up the Children's Piano app, and he even smiled and said "OK's, that's pretty cool too" Ironically, I was less than impressed with the app, but I'll take what I can. 6-3. I'll take a side note here; anyone that doubts whether a tablet computer has "a place", needs to watch a 6 month old in front of a keyboard and mouse, then watch the same kid with a tablet.

Back to the story - His neice (on his sister's side, no real relation to me, but we're all family around here) was at his house. She's three, and when PB (my grandson) got more interested in his bottle than the Children's Piano, I let her use the coloring book app. He was again impressed, and decided to hit up the App Store and outdo me. Well call that 7-3.

Unfortunately for me, within about 30 minutes or so, he found both a piano/animal sounds/vehicle sounds app for the iPad, and a coloring book app. Guess that brings it 7-5. They actually did seem more polished, so I'll call it an even score at this point.

However, then I nailed him. "Interesting that within my first week, I found apps that were impressive enough that you decided to find similar for the iPad". He said he was surprised at the app selection so soon (though I'm still not really all that impressed) but that comparable apps were readily available of IOS. But then I pointed out, there's so much garbage out there, he didn't see them on his own, and then had to look for over 30 minutes to find them when he knew what he was looking for. He agreed, that was a problem.

I guess when we left for the day, neither of us were less happy with our devices than before, nor any more ready to switch; but he did have a greater respect for the newcomer, and that's a win.

Of course, there's an epilogue.

He was out of town this last weekend, but she was at my other daughter's house for that son-in-law's birthday celebration. They have a 3 year old daughter. I let her play both apps, the "piananano" and "coloring book". She would play with one for about 2 minutes, then ask for the other. I quickly switched between the two apps, picking up where she left off.

Making sure we set next to my photogrpaher daughter of course.

Yeah, score another one for me
    For a device that, as per HP's own admission, hasn't even had a proper launch, I'd say we're well on our way to a really nice run with webOS.

As early adopters, we've all agreed with ourselves that TouchPad 1.0 wasn't all that webOS could offer, but whatever it does, it would be simply different from anything that's out there. I can't even imagine what much more robust webOS devices will be capable of doing in the next 18 months.

What a great time to be a (webOS) gadget lover!

NB: I agree that, right now (at this very moment) there are some very polished iOS apps. Some great work has been done in that area; if webOS could just attract a similar caliber of developer, it would an amazing thing.
    That's a great story. Thanks! Let's hope the update that's supposedly coming in about 10 days actually shows up and does some real improvements.
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    This past week, I spend some time Thursday with my daughter and son-in-law. He's a big Apple fan (actually, to be more accurate, he's more of a big "whatever I've got right now" fan, and that just happens to be iPhone and iPad), my daughter is more of a "if it's a gadget, I'm probably going to enjoy playing with it" person.

It was Thursday evening, and I'd had the TouchPad for almost a week, so naturally I had to show it off.
    He doesn't know what he is getting into .

My daughter's a photographer. As a matter of fact, she just recently went full time into it, after having doing shoots weekends and some weeknights for the past three years. Her website that shows samples of her work and lets users order prints was written using Flash, a lot of Flash modules. Of course, that was one of the first things I had to show her (and him). She'd never seen her website on a tablet. She loved it. Score one for me. He scowled, score another one for me.
    Folks Flash is real and is here to stay for long. I pity iUsers.

However, then I nailed him. "Interesting that within my first week, I found apps that were impressive enough that you decided to find similar for the iPad".
    This is bound to happen, the apps, its easier to port iOS apps to webOS. The screen size is same among other things.

Of course, there's an epilogue.

He was out of town this last weekend, but she was at my other daughter's house for that son-in-law's birthday celebration. They have a 3 year old daughter. I let her play both apps, the "piananano" and "coloring book". She would play with one for about 2 minutes, then ask for the other. I quickly switched between the two apps, picking up where she left off.

Making sure we set next to my photogrpaher daughter of course.

Yeah, score another one for me
    Nice story. When folks ask me about my tablet, I just hand my TP to them to play. The rest is magic, except when it crashes