webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > HP's Tortured WebOS Positioning
HP's Tortured WebOS Positioning

Old 07/12/2011, 01:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Not sure if this has been posted but the always insightful Jean-Louis Gassée chimes in with an interesting article on the mixed messages HP is sending and the apparent lack of focus on exactly which market the TouchPad is targeting.

HP
nappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/12/2011, 01:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

I posted it yesterday, but it didn't fly.

I thought it was interesting. In the end the mixed messages won't matter if the product is good enough.
hagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/12/2011, 01:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

I agree with you but I think determining which demographic they want to target and saying "this is who the TouchPad is for. This is why it's for them. We're going to spend all our efforts in enhancing and refining the TouchPad experience for this demographic" would yield more success for HP than this haphazard almost-good-enough-at-everything approach they seem to be taking.

Look at how RIM built the BlackBerry brand. They decided they were unabashedly corporate, refined and perfected the core featureset for that market, then expanded downwards. Apple took the opposite approach and created a product that catered to consumers. Now they're expanding to small business and the enterprise with that foundation under their belt. The TouchPad is...number one plus? Geared towards the enterprise? Perfect? It's just too schizophrenic to excel at anything.
Old 07/12/2011, 02:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

What I really find interesting is that it seems the Apple fans on here only find the negative articles to be "interesting".

My spin on "need" for devices is that the only audience that must have a need defined is the enterprise. Users buy devices such as this because they want to. The "needs" are simply excuses.

I bought my first computer (for slightly more than I just paid for this tablet, interestingly) back around 1981. At the time, I owned dozens of Avalon (and a few other) wargames that required endless charts and dice-rolling. I just knew that a computer would have programs that made this better. That was my excuse. The real reason was that I wanted one.

I had no idea it would lead to a serious hobby that would become a career. Sometimes, it's OK to buy something just because you want it.

People made fun of Apple when the introduced the iPad - what were folks going to do with it? It didn't matter, people bought it because they wanted it.

It's sort of funny to see the pundits now use the iPad as the "standard' - It must do what the iPad does, or it has no chance.

Wrong. The device is going to succeed. The only downside to that is that the naysayers will still be here years from now (as they have been), still saying it's going to fail (as they have been).

BTW, I bought my first wargame for my computer almost 3 years after buying the computer. I was pretty bored with the wargame, but still enjoyed the computer.
hparsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/12/2011, 02:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

So which part of the article do you disagree with, exactly?
Old 07/12/2011, 02:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

i'm not an Apple fan. Far from it.

as far as the enterprise/consumer debate goes I honestly think it needs to be both. The cloud has merged peoples work and home life to such an extent that the bounderies are very fuzzy. Many people are bringing their own devices to work and want them supported on the corporate system. Fundamentally the enterprise user and the consumer is the same person and they don't want to carry 2 devices.
hagster is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0