Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Sapient2k7
  1.    #1  
    Do you guys believe that the TP is good for College students?
    i would say a laptop is better than any tablet right now for a college student.
    unless you already have a pc/laptop and want something extra to play with
    No Tablet is good enough for a college student yet.
    For a college student a tablet is not a viable alternative to a laptop or netbook since productivity is required for a college student. Tablets are predominantly a media consumption device and netbooks are much better as a lighter alternative to full fledged desktops or laptops.

Touchpad will one day come close to netbooks in its features and functionality but today is not that day and thus it does not make much sense in its current state.
    iFreDDyz and daniela like this.
    Mine will be a nice supplemental device at school, but no tablet is ready to be the primary computing device for most anyone yet.
    Actually, Apple is trying to change the perception people have about tablets (i.e. what you all are saying), that's why its pushing iMovie, GarageBand and iWork.

But I agree, laptops are still a better alternative, if you want portability you could get an ultraportable.
    hopefully I'll br using mine as a text bokk reader. I am tired of carrying bookd aroundddd
    If you have a desktop PC or a good computer lab on campus the Touchpad will be fine. I rarely used my netbook for anything other than basic notetaking and PDF viewing for classes, and the TP would have done that fine. I'm graduated now but I can say that with a desktop and a Touchpad, you won't be left wanting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siah1214 View Post
    If you have a desktop PC or a good computer lab on campus the Touchpad will be fine. I rarely used my netbook for anything other than basic notetaking and PDF viewing for classes, and the TP would have done that fine. I'm graduated now but I can say that with a desktop and a Touchpad, you won't be left wanting.
    If he seriously takes notes, the Touchpad is going to be useless (no doc editor).
    Quote Originally Posted by augustofretes View Post
    If he seriously takes notes, the Touchpad is going to be useless (no doc editor).
    Typewriter? Tapnote?
    Typewriter? Tapnote?
    Those integrate with Evernote? Anyway, you may be right. I work mostly with math, so I would love to be able to use a stylus in a precise manner.
    Quote Originally Posted by augustofretes View Post
    Those integrate with Evernote? Anyway, you may be right. I work mostly with math, so I would love to be able to use a stylus in a precise manner.
    I think the drop box integration is enough. If you want to use Evernote the web app works well enough.
    As a Computer Science major, a netbook or laptop is a must. Tablets just don't cut it since they are primarily a media device / plaything. If all you need is a e-reader for textbooks and a little bit of browsing to make it by for you major then it seems like a good alternative, but there are going to be time you wish you had a laptop.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    I think the drop box integration is enough.
    Fair enough.
    as I write out my notes anyways in class, personal preference, the only thing that holds back my getting a touchpad for school is lack of video out for presentations.
    I recently returned to school to "level up" for that next promotion and am attending Florida Tech's Online program. The TPad works AMAZINGLY well for the FLASH based video lectures and the classroom portal. I use Google Docs for all my assignments since I had a mishap with a thumb drive that cost me a full letter grade. GDocs also works amazingly well.

My Previous method was Portable Apps on a flash drive that would be my entire course curriculum in one place but now I am 99% cloud based and it's great. Class 24/7 anytime anywhere.

Only drawback is that I'm not as fast or as accurate on the VK even though I find it better than iPads. My look into a portable\folding BT keyboard to make things a little easier...
    I'm a computer science major and have a desktop in my room. Touchpad is perfect for my needs of getting me around campus and kindle when it is available.
    when i was in college we did a lot of writing and editing and there's no tablet that could cut it. You needed an office suite and you'd insane to do attempt the sort of typing i needed to do on a touch screen.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    I should add that all big prjects are done on my desktop pc anway. would never attemt to write a term paper on a tablet, would kill myself before it was half done.

for internet research, and if they ever get a decent pdf reader on it text books
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    as I write out my notes anyways in class, personal preference, the only thing that holds back my getting a touchpad for school is lack of video out for presentations.
    My school, I always used the computers they had set up in the room and either a flash drive or google docs (usually google docs)
    Or you could have it on the Touchpad, upload it to Box.net, and download it on the classroom computer. Just some thoughts.