Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By netwrkr9
  1.    #1  
    in Anaheim. Bought it on day one, returned it today. After a week it seems like it wasn't for me. Overall build was good on the device but the web browsing was too choppy for me. Maybe it was mine and maybe once everything is refined I might pick one up again. There is also a case and a touchstone charger if anyone wants to save a little bit of money.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    I have to be honest, I'm leaning in the same direction. I cannot do much with the touchpad and the things I can do pale in comparison to my laptop. (Dell M6500)

I don't know, I'm up in the air about it right now.
    waiting for the update

See this thread for what I can do right now before the update:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...hat-didnt.html
    IMO if you purchase a tablet to completely replace a laptop then you have not done your research. Tablet technology has a way to go before you can pack your laptop away.
    LinT likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by akshunj View Post
    I have to be honest, I'm leaning in the same direction. I cannot do much with the touchpad and the things I can do pale in comparison to my laptop. (Dell M6500)

I don't know, I'm up in the air about it right now.
    I honestly don't even know why people are cross shopping a full blown laptop and a tablet.

I know myself that a tablet won't cut it for me, so I bought a netbook.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    "We are going to demote the PC to just be a device. We are going to move the digital hub, the centre of your digital life, into the cloud."

Steve Jobs
    I don't know if the tablets have any practical value other than for carrying and referencing lots of documents, and (if it's your thing) watching videos.

Even with a decent document editor, it would be good only for light work. That is true for any of the tablets. I think it's a hard sell in this economy and given the lack of full functionality. The gadget nerds will buy of course, but the most else don't need them.

I know the Apple crowd will talk about the millions sold. But of those whom I know with an iPad - one listens to music in her garden, most others use it as a game console or a video player. A few others use it as an e-reader. And I've know more than a few who purchased them and later returned them to the store or sold them off.

None of those would justify purchase for a user looking to use it as replacement for a quality laptop application. I've purchased a GPS device this year and may purchase an e-reader for my wife (anniversary present). But as much as I'd like to have an excuse to buy a tablet, there hasn't been anything shown to me compelling enough yet to push me over the edge.

Mail on the phone is good enough because I'm going to be carrying a phone anyway. Games are a diversion that I don't spend much time on.

They do what they do OK, but not great and I'm not into the "Swiss army knife" use of technology. Hopefully someone will make a tablet that can replace my laptop for 85% of what I currently do with my laptop.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    "We are going to demote the PC to just be a device. We are going to move the digital hub, the centre of your digital life, into the cloud."**

Steve Jobs
    **as long as you don't want to upload attachments to web sites, access the tablet's file system, or do anything more than read web pages and watch video.

...which is to say that there is no way any tablet can replace my netbook. But it can almost replace my phone.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Replacing my laptop was the last thing on my mind when I grabbed a touchpad. I thought it would be good for couch surfing, but I'm finding that the phone or the laptop is better for that.
    When someone gets RDP/VNC app going then it will be a lot easier to carry only a TP. I'm not sure why Palm and HP don't understand how important an app (or even better if it was integrated into the OS) like that is to a lot of us.

Citrix is good but most people haven't don't have access to a very expensive Citrix server. But most people have a PC then can RDP or VNC into.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    C-Note said it very well. I am not sold on a tablet just yet. In fact, I am wondering what HP is going to do with laptops and webOS. I want the tight relationship between my smart phone and my laptop like there is between current-gen webOS phones and the Touchpad.

Just sayin.
    i forget who said it best, but this is the quote

"laptops and desktops are for content creation....tablets are for content consumption"
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    C-Note said it very well. I am not sold on a tablet just yet. In fact, I am wondering what HP is going to do with laptops and webOS. I want the tight relationship between my smart phone and my laptop like there is between current-gen webOS phones and the Touchpad.

Just sayin.
    While I agree RDP and VNC apps are important (I'd throw in a decent SCP and SSH clint as well), I don't think HP should have included them. The problem with built in apps like that is that since they "come with", it stifles competition.

I believe we'll see all of these soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    **as long as you don't want to upload attachments to web sites, access the tablet's file system, or do anything more than read web pages and watch video.

...which is to say that there is no way any tablet can replace my netbook. But it can almost replace my phone.
    Why not? On android ( I have no idea about ipad) you can work on file system, and attach files to web upplications.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    "laptops and desktops are for content creation....tablets are for content consumption"

I would like to know when tablets will be good for content confiscation? OK, just trying to be cool and stay with the C's and rhyme...

But really, as a field inspector, a solid tablet would be great for me to capture data. That seems far from reality now, but its what I'm waiting on. When I can draw a "diagram" (really a sketch), fill out a from with about 100 fields with validation rules, take a few notes and save local and sync to client... I'll be in.