1.    #1  
    well,
    i got my hands on a Touch pad today, those nice folks at Staples even brought over a playbook and one of them dragged out his ipad. hmmm well folks, im torn, darn but that touch pad is good...very very good... yes there are some lag issues in the os.. it got faster as i used it.. flash and html5 sites loaded real nice.. open office....errrrrrmmm ok its suppose to be coming.. yes its a little more expensive than the play book.. not by a whole hell of a lot..
    the experience was positive, im going to plunk down my 520 plus hst (13%) and get me one and than i will get my pre 3 ...... oh wait.. thats not coming until the fall ... ermmm maybe...
    Saying all the positive things i can about the touchpad still has a major drawback... no damn phone to go with it... yes i can go pre 2 for about 499 at rogers.. on special order an wait about 6 weeks to get it.. oh wait no promises the pre 2 will do all the things the pre 3 is promised to do.. and if i wait 6 weeks, i can probably wait a few more weeks (months) and get the pre 3..

or i can just take advantage of my bell upgrade get a torch and a playbook have all the apps i really need and want.. ( i dont need a whole lot of apps) and be up an running by friday this week.. hmmm
    ipad,, well they dont do anything i want them to do.. i dont want a slab in my pocket...( is that a slab in your pocket or u just happy to see me?)

The Touchpad is slick,, very very nice.. and i mean it when i say i like it far better than the ipad,, and it does have several notches up on the playbook.. right now,, its a mexician stand off with the touch pad/pre3 or veer, and the torch/playbook combo..
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
    I am not sure i understand -- can you explain the functionality between the playbook and the torch other then they run on the same os -- i am ignorant of that -- and at this point the pre 3 and the TP only seem to share urls and MMS (does that happen on the playbook?) whatever i would pick up the best tablet for your needs --i personally am a webos die hard and have ordered the TP but am concerned about the lack of a excel editing software available. -- I started to read this thread hoping to get some concise comparision between the playbook and the touchpad -- do you have any insite along these lines or is it just a poor choice of title for the thread?

i am waiting with open ears (eyes) i have not touched the playbook and would like an honest opinion

thanks

who would have thought that they edit FA-nbo-y?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    I am not sure i understand -- can you explain the functionality between the playbook and the torch other then they run on the same os -- i am ignorant of that -- and at this point the pre 3 and the TP only seem to share urls and MMS (does that happen on the playbook?) whatever i would pick up the best tablet for your needs --i personally am a webos die hard and have ordered the TP but am concerned about the lack of a excel editing software available. -- I started to read this thread hoping to get some concise comparision between the playbook and the touchpad -- do you have any insite along these lines or is it just a poor choice of title for the thread?

i am waiting with open ears (eyes) i have not touched the playbook and would like an honest opinion

thanks

who would have thought that they edit FA-nbo-y?
    The Playbook uses a unique system called the Bridge, that allows for cross functionality for both the phone and the Playbood tab. However, the Playbook doesn't have PIM apps natively and depends on the Bridge for that functionality. In other words, you have to have your Blackberry phone (doesn't accept any other phones btw) paired with your Playbook for you to use PIM apps.
    All for One and One for All!
    So I own both and I would say if I was to buy a second of one of them it would be the touchpad. At times I like the size of playbook 7in but most of the time it feels to small for me. Also because it is like webos I get frustrated at that it is not webos.

While the TP has some issues as a developer I see them as software not hardware and believe with updates they will be taken care of. The hardware is great in the TP and software tweeks will fix the issues.

As for the camera situation on them I prefer the front on TP vs the rear on the PB the PB's camera has no flash so most pictures suck and the skype worked great last week when I tried it on the TP.

So Again forget playbook and the the touchpad.
    the playbook has both front and rear cameras. That would be the only other tablet I would ever go with seeing as it is so close to webOS. Its still not as elegant, and doesn't quite capture multitasking like webOS does. Stacking really does make a difference.

I don't understand why people are giving the 10.1 so much props. Android 3.0 really sucks. I have used it extensively, and it just is not that good. Very cluttered and confusing.
  6.    #6  
    i need/want the tablet for work, and i presently own a pre minus, if i am to drop 500 plus for a tp, i am then required to buy a pre3 from Rogers. They dont wont even stock the pre 2 in my home town. Bell is my carrier.. with an unlimited data text plan. I am looking at over 1K in canadian money to buy both. Plus the carrier monthly costs. We can not even get the Veer here in canada. With a "possible" launch date of "fall 2011" for the pre 3, this was the "summer of 2011".
    I do like the TP, the Ipad is just a toy, the Playbook, does do a pretty good job of doing things that I need for work. With the RIM products I am looking at a much lower price, 499 for PB, and my upgrade from Bell for 150.00.
    Quick office lacks functionality, sure i can read files in it, but can not edit. My other choice that way is to use Google docs and import the files into Quick Office. With PB all i need to do is click it and away i go.
    The big questions are these;
    Will the Pre 3 be released on schedule?
    Will Quick Office files be completely interactive?
    Is the cost difference worth waiting for Quick office, and the Pre 3?
    Unless someone (read HP President) is willing to do a little more than promise on those questions above, I am in today.
    I have to look at the approximate cost of 1150.00 CA, plus the cost of the charging rigs for each, put that along side of the past issues with flash, office files that were/are still read only. the fact that the present pre phones, pre -/+ pixi have all been abandoned by HP/Palm.With no firm (read no date) date for software upgrade to make the pre 2 even slightly inter-operable with the TP. I have to wonder if this might be throwing money down the drain.
    Pls do not misunderstand me, I do love Web OS, the TP is one hell of a nice piece of equipment. Ultimately though I have to look to myself, what is working right now, not a vague promise that can be forgotten in the future.
    I have a real hard time dropping 688.00 for just a TP that may or may not in the future have a phone it can work with.
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.