Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By manofarn
  1.    #1  
    I just wanted to share this.

Using Windows 7 x64 as my desktop, I've had no problems plugging my TouchPad into my desktop, opening Windows Media Player 12, adding the TouchPad as a Sync device, dragging my existing playlist, that I use for all my devices, from the left column to the right column and then clicking the Sync button, ejecting the TouchPad, opening the Music app and having 5GB of music at my fingertips.

I know HP Play Beta is available but it sounds like it has some rough edges and for now WMP 12 does what I need and I don't have to mess with yet another media app. When HP Play start with the OTA syncing then I may change my mind but this works for me for now.
    Funny really how the world goes round, I remember watching a speech Lou Gerstner (CEO IBM) made around the mid-90s. His point was when his wife went out to buy a new iron, the last thing on her mind was will it work with the electricity in our house? Of course it will, why anyone would even consider it won’t

But that’s how the computer industry was back then; ecosystems of all sorts locking you in.. This won’t work with that, that won’t work with this etc. (Perhaps IBM was one of the worst before Lou!)

Anyway, the point is IBM did pretty good under the change Lou Gerstner brought about. I didn’t really think about it myself, I plugged my TP into WMP and it worked.

But you are right, it is a big deal and a good thing (reviewers miss stuff like this) – Why should I re-wire all I have just because I bought a new iron!
    Downtime500 likes this.
    do you see album art in your photo app? And do you see it when the music plays?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    do you see album art in your photo app? And do you see it when the music plays?
    No album art in the Photo app, but Yes it's visible in the Music player.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Downtime500; 07/11/2011 at 03:52 PM.
    I do enjoy that WMP will sync with A LOT of things.

Walled gardens do get old.

With that said, i use Zune and it ****es me off it only syncs with zune devices.
    I tried this after I'd already used HP Play Beta and was not too successful. The music player didn't see any of the new files after I deleted the "HPMusic" directory and WMP created a "Music" directory of it's own.

But also, WMP has a habit of scattering *.jpg files everywhere (some of them not even correct) that will probably (eventually - someday) end up in the Photo & Video app.

I've had pretty good success with mp3tag program that was referred to elsewhere (Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v2, MP4, OGG, FLAC, ...)) in getting album art and missing metatag info into the files without *.jpg files floating around everywhere.

I'm still in the process of trying to figure out the best way to to this for myself and WMP is kind of an attractive option but for me it has some drawbacks.

I just wish WiFi media sync would hurry up and come up with a TP version!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    I tried this after I'd already used HP Play Beta and was not too successful. The music player didn't see any of the new files after I deleted the "HPMusic" directory and WMP created a "Music" directory of it's own.
    Several threads have already been started regarding this issue so I dont want to start another but look at my post here Post #3 regarding when I was having problems with side loading mp4 and jpg files.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downtime500 View Post
    Several threads have already been started regarding this issue so I dont want to start another but look at my post here Post #3 regarding when I was having problems with side loading mp4 and jpg files.
    What I meant to say was that the files I put on through HP Play were being recognized fine, right away. But when I tried to pull a switcharoo by taking those files off and syncing through WMP, the native music app was still looking for the first set of files in "HPMusic" rather than re-indexing after the sync with WMP and finding them in "Music" - where WMP put them.

But, again, it all seems like a workaround until WiFi Media Sync give us an app! I can sync my Pre2 and not have to connect anything to anywhere or use any software like WMP, or HP Play Songbird or . . .?