Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By akshunj
  • 1 Post By Xadion
  • 4 Post By Ulairi
  • 1 Post By mhunterjr
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    I couldn't agree with this article more. This is exactly why I bought a wifi touchpad and didn't hold out for a 3G/4G article...

3G tablet sales 'very slow,' analyst says - Computerworld
    speedtouch likes this.
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    I never understood why I would want to pay monthly another fee for my laptop or tablet to have its own (usualy capped) data service- when I will be around my wifi or at worse teatherd to my cell's unlimited data
    speedtouch likes this.
    I agree. This is why they hate tethering. You pay for xGB of data and they want to tell you where you can use it.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    The first moible company that comes out with a "shared" data plan that charges me for the data and I can use it among my devices as I wish will have a real winner on their hands. Too bad they aren't that forward thinking.
    Tethering works perfectly with the touchpad. I would never consider buying a device that required additional monthly fee when I already feel like I'm gauged for what little I get (500MB phone plan for $70... I bet you think you have it bad in the states, eh?).

Ultimately, it means that whatever phone I have in the future would also need to tether but that shouldn't be a problem.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    i wonder if when they say hundreds of thousands of these 3g/4g tabs on the shelf... i wonder if they are talking non ipad models. i mean because apple can barely keep any ipads in stock and even online orders are just this week announced are under one week wait.

if that is the case where they are mostly non-ipads where they are required to have contract unlike the ipads, then it's not hard to understand because those units require a full contract right? Who wants to be locked into an additional contract on top of your current smartphone contract? They should model their plans to activate/deactivate at will on monthly basis then it would give the people the idea to buy them with 3g as a backup.

That's the only reason I bought my ipad2 with 3g because I am not locked into a contract but good to have if I find myself taking a trip for work and need data for a month or however long.

fortunately my workplace gave me a verizon mifi so rocking with free 4g and havent had to activate the 3g.
    I would love to have a tablet with 3-4G built-in. I'll be d@med if I have to pay extra for the same data I'm getting now. Right now I have an IPad with just WiFi. It doesn't travel unless its going to a Starbucks or something with WiFi. Would pay to have a TouchPad with cell data god and shared plan.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    i hear you on that but is that with a tether charge on your current plan or going with 'free tether' i thought about that too cause i jailbroke my 3gs but, probably like many, i dont wanna deal with 'what ifs' like... what if carrier catches ya and then tacks on the tether charge, etc.

all the carriers are going away from unlimited data and you know with tabs that they will be looking for uncharged tether and going after them someday. such a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    Tethering works perfectly with the touchpad. I would never consider buying a device that required additional monthly fee when I already feel like I'm gauged for what little I get (500MB phone plan for $70... I bet you think you have it bad in the states, eh?).

Ultimately, it means that whatever phone I have in the future would also need to tether but that shouldn't be a problem.
    All the plans on my carrier include tethering... I wish I could justify the price otherwise but Canadian telcom's just rape us unconditionally.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    i wonder if when they say hundreds of thousands of these 3g/4g tabs on the shelf... i wonder if they are talking non ipad models. i mean because apple can barely keep any ipads in stock and even online orders are just this week announced are under one week wait.

if that is the case where they are mostly non-ipads where they are required to have contract unlike the ipads, then it's not hard to understand because those units require a full contract right? Who wants to be locked into an additional contract on top of your current smartphone contract? They should model their plans to activate/deactivate at will on monthly basis then it would give the people the idea to buy them with 3g as a backup.

That's the only reason I bought my ipad2 with 3g because I am not locked into a contract but good to have if I find myself taking a trip for work and need data for a month or however long.

fortunately my workplace gave me a verizon mifi so rocking with free 4g and havent had to activate the 3g.
    You hit on the two reasons: (1)Those devices cost extra and (2)includes a contractual data plan. The iPad's model is the best, and I would consider a 4G TouchPad if I could just buy a prepaid SIM and stick it in there whenever I wanted, including that of my phone if my carrier provided SIM cards.

But as many have already said, webOS and Android phones are pretty easy to turn into wifi hotspots, so that precludes the need for 3G/4G.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Tethering really shouldn't be traceable, as long as you are just doing surfing the web, doing email, even vpn-ing into your office (my wife does that from her phone). It's when you start streaming video or downloading music or any packets of notable size (that obviouslyhavent been optimized for yourphone), that they know you are tethering.

Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    i hear you on that but is that with a tether charge on your current plan or going with 'free tether' i thought about that too cause i jailbroke my 3gs but, probably like many, i dont wanna deal with 'what ifs' like... what if carrier catches ya and then tacks on the tether charge, etc.

all the carriers are going away from unlimited data and you know with tabs that they will be looking for uncharged tether and going after them someday. such a pain.
    I don't want to pay *another* monthly fee just to use the Internet on a tablet. That's why I didn't wait for the 3G TouchPad. Wifi and the occasional tether works for me.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I agree completely. I bought a 3g laptop and after discovering the "new account" requirement never activated it - its now 5 years old & never used. But got a lower price for the laptop with the 3g as they weren't selling so I feel it was a good buy even if never used.
    John

Proudly Microsoft/Apple Free with HP/Palm Pre+/ Driod Bionic / Verizon Wireless TouchPad SOON! NOW!
    Quote Originally Posted by timeweb2 View Post
    I agree completely. I bought a 3g laptop and after discovering the "new account" requirement never activated it - its now 5 years old & never used. But got a lower price for the laptop with the 3g as they weren't selling so I feel it was a good buy even if never used.
    Wait a minute. You bought a laptop and never used it? How's that a good buy?
    Again, I want a 3G TouchPad for the GPS capabilities. Wifi triangulation just isn't accurate enough, and then there is the problem of downloading the map.
    I'm glad the tablets aren't selling well and hopefully they continue that way. Once the carriers realize how silly their payment options are, maybe they get the their act together. Why should someone pay another monthly fee for data, when chances are they don't even use all of the data they buy for their phone plan? its bad enough they expect people to pay extra to tether.

The ipad option isn't much better, there's no contract, but there's no roll over. I can only imagine how many minutes are wasted every month.

The only option that I would ever support is pay as you go. Knowing I would only ever use 3g in the few places where I can't get wi-fi, I can't justify a monthly bill. This is just another example of the carriers wanting more $ without offering more product/service.
    akshunj likes this.