1.    #1  
    There has been some discussion about ripping video to watch on the Touchpad. I didn't have the patience to zero in on the exact limit, but ran into it with a couple videos I want to watch on the plane tomorrow.

One solution I've found is to use avidemux (free software, Avidemux - Main Page) and chop the file in half. It's not fully automated, so you have to load the file, cut one half, save it, re-load the original file, cut the other half, and save it. HOWEVER, if you have a 2.1GB video, it appears -- for now at least -- to be the only way to watch it on your Touchpad.

Rob
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    I'm curious. Is the size limit due to box.net placing a limit on individual file size? Or is it something to do with the TPad not liking large sized files?
    the USB partition is FAT32 so the limit should be 4GB per file. If you are ripping movies to be more that 1GB, you are wasting space and making the TP work way too hard to render it at 1024x768
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbz View Post
    I'm curious. Is the size limit due to box.net placing a limit on individual file size? Or is it something to do with the TPad not liking large sized files?
    Box.net limits file sizes to 25MB on their non-TouchPad free accounts. The Touchpad free 50GB account will allow files up to 1GB. Business & Enterprise accounts with monthly service fees can do larger file sizes.
    I use Cucusoft Video converter and encode via the HD protocol. The TP is at its very best with HD video and the file sizes are about 1.1 to 1.4 GB-the latter for a 3 hour movie. Cucusoft automatically cuts the file in 2 for you. be sure to rip at max volume-500%. Otherwise sound can be too low. This way you can listen to it with the wondeful external speakers too.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Hi everyone,

From the beginning, the promotion we agreed on with HP was 50GB of free cloud storage, along with a 100MB file size limit for uploads. Due to a misconfiguration on our end, some lucky users received a 1GB limit, and we’ll of course continue to honor that for those accounts. We’re sorry about any confusion that discrepancy has caused.

Hopefully this answers any questions you might have about the app. Again, sincere apologies for any confusion or inconvenience. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to contact me directly at mark@box.net.

Best,

Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    the USB partition is FAT32 so the limit should be 4GB per file. If you are ripping movies to be more that 1GB, you are wasting space and making the TP work way too hard to render it at 1024x768
    I believe I read that it's actually using vfat, which puts a limit at 2GB per file, though I can't be sure.

As for ripping movies at more than 1GB, disagree, most of my 720p rips from Bluray are around 4GB each (for a 90-120 minute movie). Even Apple would disagree, since 40 minute episodes at 720p are around 1.1GB each.

Regardless, the issue with file size is a bigger issue for those of us who don't want to re-encode anyway. I've already got my media ripped and stored on a local server that all of my other computers play from. Why would I want to spend a few hours re-encoding those just for the Touchpad before I go on a trip? Or maybe the alternative is deciding in advance what movies I might be interested in watching, but I don't like the idea of that either. It's easier to just do the ten minute transfer of whatever I want to take with me, except for the file-size limit.

...Of course most of those movies I've ripped are stored in the mkv container using x264 and Dolby Digital sound (plus subtitles for the movies which need them), so I can't play them on the built-in player anyway, but that's a whole other story.

But yeah, I guess the only solution if you're re-encoding specifically for the Touchpad is keep it under 2GB.