Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    One of my GMail accounts won't login, and is giving me an "Unknown Error." At first I thought it was because the password I was using started with a character instead of a letter or number, so I tried changing it, but that didn't help. It's still throwing up "Unknown Error" when I try to link it. Now, entering my email address as a plain "Email Account" instead of a GMail account results in a successful email account setup--but calendar, contacts and GTalk won't connect, and it keeps prompting me to fix the problem even after I delete the account again.

Is anyone else having this problem?
    I am not an atomic playboy. - Admiral W.P. Blandy
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Is it a new gmail+ account? I can't send email to them.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    -
    - my webOS apps: Bishop Scores, EquiAnalgesia, EquiSteroidia, OB Tracker -
    - Missing webOS phones when I use my iPhone5 and iPad Mini. At least I have my TouchPad to web surf still! -
    I have the same problem with my gmail (minus) account. I am able to add 2 other gmail accounts but every time I try to sign in to my main one with calendar and contacts it gives me the "unknown error" message. Very frustrating!
    Try this... open your Gmail account on a computer. Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and click the "Details" link in the bottom right corner under 'last account activity'.
    In the box that comes up, click "Sign Out All Other Sessions" and close the box.

Now open your email app on the TouchPad and see if it connects.
    Quote Originally Posted by zygosound View Post
    I have the same problem with my gmail (minus) account. I am able to add 2 other gmail accounts but every time I try to sign in to my main one with calendar and contacts it gives me the "unknown error" message. Very frustrating!
    I had the same problem when I was setting up my TouchPad for the first time. I ended up changing the password on my Gmail account. After that the TP would sign into the account properly and all was well. I have no idea why the TP didn't like my original password...it was working fine though my web browser and through my Pre.
    I ran into the same problem, and it appears that WebOS 3.0.x has problems with Gmail passwords that have special characters in them. I first changed my password to one that didn't have special characters, and that worked fine. Then, I changed back to a password with special characters, and got the "Unknown Error" again. Finally, I tried a different password without special characters, and it works.

Unfortunately, I now have to change my password on all my other devices in order to use my TouchPad. Not good...
    Quote Originally Posted by leonardjf View Post
    I ran into the same problem, and it appears that WebOS 3.0.x has problems with Gmail passwords that have special characters in them. I first changed my password to one that didn't have special characters, and that worked fine. Then, I changed back to a password with special characters, and got the "Unknown Error" again. Finally, I tried a different password without special characters, and it works.

Unfortunately, I now have to change my password on all my other devices in order to use my TouchPad. Not good...
    That could very well be the case. I use very complicated passwords with all sorts of characters, including many special characters. Did your old password contain ^ or # by chance? The Gmail password that kept giving me an error had those two characters in it. But I changed it an now the new password doesn't contain either of them, but it does contain $ & % !
    @ *. So if you had either ^ or # in the problematic password, that might just be it.
    It didn't have either of those characters, but it did have |, " and <. It's looking like there are some special characters (but not all) that WebOS is having problems with in passwords. With any luck, HP will pick up on the problem and release a fix before too long.
    Quote Originally Posted by leonardjf View Post
    It didn't have either of those characters, but it did have |, " and <. It's looking like there are some special characters (but not all) that WebOS is having problems with in passwords. With any luck, HP will pick up on the problem and release a fix before too long.
    All right, well maybe it's an assortment of special characters that webOS doesn't like. Strange.
    I wouldn't call this a touchpad issue per se...would it be more precise to call this an Google API issue? After all, my other accounts with special characters work just fine. I see this with Mint too. It wouldn't login in to my Bank of America account because of special characters even though it works just fine in a browser.
    Quote Originally Posted by jobsqeu View Post
    I wouldn't call this a touchpad issue per se...would it be more precise to call this an Google API issue? After all, my other accounts with special characters work just fine. I see this with Mint too. It wouldn't login in to my Bank of America account because of special characters even though it works just fine in a browser.
    I don't think so. Because my old Gmail password worked just fine on my Pre. But I had to change it to make it work on my TouchPad.
    Yes, but was your Pre syncing just email or everything? Cuz according to Atomic Playboy, email synced fine. It's when you add the other services that the "unknown error" was thrown.
    Yes, but was your Pre syncing just email or everything? Cuz according to Atomic Playboy, email synced fine. It's when you add the other services that the "unknown error" was thrown.
    I was syncing Gmail and Google Contacts and Google Talk.
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    I was syncing Gmail and Google Contacts and Google Talk.
    Does all your gmail sync with your new password? I find that none of my email before I changed my password will sync on the Touchpad. The email folders are all empty. Only new email that I have created/received since updating my password will sync to my TP.

It's not such a big deal for me since I forward all the email to a central account anyways but it's still weird and that's why I thought it was the API.
    Does all your gmail sync with your new password? I find that none of my email before I changed my password will sync on the Touchpad. The email folders are all empty. Only new email that I have created/received since updating my password will sync to my TP.

It's not such a big deal for me since I forward all the email to a central account anyways but it's still weird and that's why I thought it was the API.
    Yep, email does indeed sync with the new password. I haven't had any trouble with email, other than very late notifications of new email on my TouchPad.

Maybe you could remove the account completely, perform a backup, then perform a webOS Doctor? I don't know, that's pretty drastic, but it might work.
    duncandw likes this.
    yes, I was wondering why that is on my TP. My techtray app, if I login into googlereader mode it won't establish a link if the password has "+ or !" characters in it. Wierd b/c same app, same code works fine on the phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Try this... open your Gmail account on a computer. Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and click the "Details" link in the bottom right corner under 'last account activity'.
    In the box that comes up, click "Sign Out All Other Sessions" and close the box.

Now open your email app on the TouchPad and see if it connects.
    This did not seem to resolve the issue. My e-mail app connects to the gmail account fine. The problem seems to only be in the calendar and contacts apps.

I do have some special characters in my pw but didn't think that would have been the issue since other accounts with special characters in the pw are connecting just fine. I will change the password and see if that works.

Thank you for your replies!
    Changing my password by removing the special characters seem to fix it. The calendar and contacts are syncing now.

Thank you all for your responses. Hopefully HP will fix this in future updates!
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I have just picked up a TouchPad and get the "Unknown Error" problem with two different GMail accounts. Neither account had strange characters in the password, just letters and numbers. However I even tried changing one of the passwords to just letters, all lower case, still the same problem.

It doesn't make any difference if I try to set up through the Accounts app or the Email app I get the same problem. I was able to set up a non-Google email account instantly and it has a far more complex password.

Unfortunately my main email account is Google, along with my calendar and contacts. If I can't get this working then the tablet is going to have to go back to the shop.

Any ideas would be most welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by solarfish View Post
    I have just picked up a TouchPad and get the "Unknown Error" problem with two different GMail accounts. Neither account had strange characters in the password, just letters and numbers. However I even tried changing one of the passwords to just letters, all lower case, still the same problem.

It doesn't make any difference if I try to set up through the Accounts app or the Email app I get the same problem. I was able to set up a non-Google email account instantly and it has a far more complex password.

Unfortunately my main email account is Google, along with my calendar and contacts. If I can't get this working then the tablet is going to have to go back to the shop.

Any ideas would be most welcome.
    Well, since you've just started using the TP, hopefully you don't have a lot of data on it. You could try a Full Erase where it completely resets the device back to factory installation. Are you running webOS 3.0.2? If not, do a webOS Doctor.

To do a Full Erase open the Launcher. Then go to the Settings tab, then tap Device Info. Tap Reset Options, then Full Erase. You will lose any data you saved on the device like photos, mp3s, videos, etc.

What's webOS Doctor? It's a program that reformats the OS partition on the TouchPad and installs a fresh copy of webOS 3.0.2. Download from here: Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals Get the Tablet-Wifi version 3.0.2.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast