Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by leonardjf View Post
    I ran into the same problem, and it appears that WebOS 3.0.x has problems with Gmail passwords that have special characters in them. I first changed my password to one that didn't have special characters, and that worked fine. Then, I changed back to a password with special characters, and got the "Unknown Error" again. Finally, I tried a different password without special characters, and it works.

Unfortunately, I now have to change my password on all my other devices in order to use my TouchPad. Not good...
    This worked for me. It's unfortunate that I had to change my password just so it would on the TP but I probably needed to change it anyway.
    I, too, have encountered the same problem. It is extremely unfortunate that the WebOS devs didn't take this into account. I'm certainly not going to compromise the strength of my password by eliminating special characters so as for now I guess I won't be able to utilize the calendar on my TouchPad. That's ok, though. I bought it to use as an ultra-portable web browser. Everything else is just gravy.
    Quote Originally Posted by leonardjf View Post
    I ran into the same problem, and it appears that WebOS 3.0.x has problems with Gmail passwords that have special characters in them. I first changed my password to one that didn't have special characters, and that worked fine. Then, I changed back to a password with special characters, and got the "Unknown Error" again. Finally, I tried a different password without special characters, and it works.
    Thanks! Had same issue with "Unknown error" after I changed my password to use several "shifted number" characters. Changed to password without special chars and all is good again.
    Quote Originally Posted by solarfish View Post
    I have just picked up a TouchPad and get the "Unknown Error" problem with two different GMail accounts. Neither account had strange characters in the password, just letters and numbers. However I even tried changing one of the passwords to just letters, all lower case, still the same problem.

It doesn't make any difference if I try to set up through the Accounts app or the Email app I get the same problem. I was able to set up a non-Google email account instantly and it has a far more complex password.

Unfortunately my main email account is Google, along with my calendar and contacts. If I can't get this working then the tablet is going to have to go back to the shop.

Any ideas would be most welcome.
    I too am having trouble on my TP with gmail syncing calendar and contacts (but not email - it receives gmail fine). My pw has only letters and numbers, no special characters. It sees the "other" google calendars (my husband's, children, etc.) but just doesn't sync my own personal calendar. Same with contacts - it's not syncing. Calendar is giving me "unknown error". But, when I first started it up and put in my profile, it synced contacts without a problem.
    I had a similar error occur to me as well (though it is on my Pre3). Special characters seems to be the ones causing the problem.

Looking at the application code, reveals that a Regular Expression object is created with our account password, which errors out, if certain combinations of special characters are present in it. Mine had two consecutive * in it.

To see if your password would create a problem, please go to this webpage:

JavaScript RegExp Example: Online Regular Expression Tester

In the box labeled 'Regexp', type your password followed by the '|' symbol and again your password. For eg., if your password is cr**it, type "cr**it|cr**it" (without the quotes) in that box.

If you hit on 'Test Match' button and if you see an alert 'Successful match' or 'No match', then your password is fine and should work with webOS.

If you don't see any alert, then you know there is a problem. If you are using Chrome, at this juncture, you can launch the Javascript console (Ctrl+Shift+J in Windows) and see the error message thrown by the page. The same error occurs in webOS code as well.

Till there is a fix available for this, you can use this method to create a strong password (with special characters) that doesn't error out.
    I didn't have a problem with my gmail password until the 3.0.4 update. 3.0.2 worked fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by sara.ramli View Post
    I had a similar error occur to me as well (though it is on my Pre3). Special characters seems to be the ones causing the problem.

Looking at the application code, reveals that a Regular Expression object is created with our account password, which errors out, if certain combinations of special characters are present in it. Mine had two consecutive * in it.

To see if your password would create a problem, please go to this webpage:

JavaScript RegExp Example: Online Regular Expression Tester

In the box labeled 'Regexp', type your password followed by the '|' symbol and again your password. For eg., if your password is cr**it, type "cr**it|cr**it" (without the quotes) in that box.

If you hit on 'Test Match' button and if you see an alert 'Successful match' or 'No match', then your password is fine and should work with webOS.

If you don't see any alert, then you know there is a problem. If you are using Chrome, at this juncture, you can launch the Javascript console (Ctrl+Shift+J in Windows) and see the error message thrown by the page. The same error occurs in webOS code as well.

Till there is a fix available for this, you can use this method to create a strong password (with special characters) that doesn't error out.
    Thanks - my pw had a "no match" but it still gives me "unknown error". I am running 3.0.2
    Same here. My password is simple numbers and letters - gave "no match" on the regexp test, but gives an unknown error when trying to sign in to google calendar on the TP.
    Last edited by DrPotoroo; 10/24/2011 at 04:20 PM. Reason: ambiguous
    Okay, so after a lot of messing with the calendar app I found something out. Some time ago, while trying to fix another issue, I had removed the google account (from account preferences in the calendar app) and tried to add it again (again, from account preferences in the calendar app). After continuous frustration with the "Unknown error" today it ocurred to me to do things from the webOS-wide "Accounts" controls (found under settings in the launcher). There I found that when I had "removed" the google account, it had merely turned of the option of syncing my calendar, and was still syncing contacts. Simply switching the option to sync calendar back on for the existing google account entry got rid of all my orphaned calendar entries and got everything back in sync, with no more "Unknown errors". I'll see how long this lasts...
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPotoroo View Post
    Okay, so after a lot of messing with the calendar app I found something out. Some time ago, while trying to fix another issue, I had removed the google account (from account preferences in the calendar app) and tried to add it again (again, from account preferences in the calendar app). After continuous frustration with the "Unknown error" today it ocurred to me to do things from the webOS-wide "Accounts" controls (found under settings in the launcher). There I found that when I had "removed" the google account, it had merely turned of the option of syncing my calendar, and was still syncing contacts. Simply switching the option to sync calendar back on for the existing google account entry got rid of all my orphaned calendar entries and got everything back in sync, with no more "Unknown errors". I'll see how long this lasts...
    I know this is an OLD thread, but I'm getting the "unknown error" again when trying to set up my Google Calendar account on my touchpad. I tried it from the calendar preferences and the accounts in settings, same result. I've had the calendar on my touchpad in the past, but removed it when it seemed to lock up the touchpad.
    It's broken again thanks to another Google change. I created a patch that fixed it on April 1st, then the changed something else in late June and I haven't been able to fix it. [Patch] Google sync https fix (unknown error on sign in)

In the meantime (and it is the future path for open webOS) there is a new Synergy connector in beta test that works with Gmail. The public version is one-way (I think it still is), but it gets your contacts and calendars back. Email can be set up as a normal IMAP account type.
    C+Dav Synergy connector for owncloud, google, yahoo, iCloud

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    It's broken again thanks to another Google change. I created a patch that fixed it on April 1st, then the changed something else in late June and I haven't been able to fix it. [Patch] Google sync https fix (unknown error on sign in) - webOS Nation Forums

In the meantime (and it is the future path for open webOS) there is a new Synergy connector in beta test that works with Gmail. The public version is one-way (I think it still is), but it gets your contacts and calendars back. Email can be set up as a normal IMAP account type.
    C+Dav Synergy connector for owncloud, google, yahoo, iCloud - webOS Nation Forums

Thanks for your work with WebOS. I'll check it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by purplepansy View Post
    Thanks for your work with WebOS. I'll check it out.
    Good news - if you check that thread again, you'll see the patch has been updated with a fix for the most recent parsing problem. Frantid was able to do what I didn't have time to dive into and provided me with the fix to update the patch.

MAMISHO likes this.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I'm getting a new Google login error in WebOS only for the one account where I was recently forced to add Google+ (transferring contacts from Orkut, which Google is now closing down). My other Google accounts seem to sync just fine, even one that had Google+ added some time ago. No special characters in the passwords.

I'll try the patch, thanks.
    The patch works. Thanks!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12