Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    I received the TouchPad Wed night and took it on the road Thurs and Friday.

What worked in terms of document editing:

Used Memo and then Typewriter Beta to take meeting notes. Typewriter Beta worked well, was easy to see and type. One thing I liked is that it asks for a doc name when one creates a doc and it does not leave contents visible on the desktop like Memo does. Later I emailed to myself. I noticed Typewriter Beta did not have integration with box.net although it seems to have ability to upload to a drop box account (I did not try this because I wasn't sure of security).

QuickOffice noticed the Word doc I had transferred from my laptop and I could view it.

QuickOffice did not find the Excel sheet. I hunted for it in the email and could open it from the email.

I could open Google Docs to look at the excel sheet (as a secondary option I had uploaded this one spreadsheet to Google Docs the night before as I was afraid I would need to edit before the trip concluded). I could not figure out how to scroll and edit in Google Docs. I don't use Google Docs normally as I need more security, this one spreadsheet was OK to have as an exception but longer term, I would need Quick Office editing of spreadsheet, I can't use Google Docs except for the simplest of items.

The battery lasted from 9 am to 10:30 pm at night with 25% left. I started conserving at around 35% as I was afraid to be stuck on the road without battery (My Pre battery was long gone). I forgot to take the Touchpad charger but was able to successfully recharge the night before with the Pre charger (went from 40% to 100% in the night while I slept).

What didn't work:

I could not use QuickOffice to update my excel spreadsheet with the latest information before the meeting.

I had uploaded the spreadsheet to Google Docs and while I was able to get on the site using a Touchpad, I couldn't figure out how to scroll Google Docs in order to update the spreadsheet before my meeting.

The hotel had a Dell printer so I could not print out the spreadsheet wirelessly from the TouchPad, I had to use the hotel's computer to print from Google Docs..

I experimented with TeamViewer the night before to see if l could remotely access my laptop. I could but it require a code input so I wasn't sure how to do this when I was already on the road as the link seems to be broken once the TouchPad card is tossed or the machine is turned off. Also when I accessed Teamviewer, it did not seem easy to open files on the laptop, it seemed sluggish. I will experiment with this further when I have time.

(More in the next post about the travel experience and media/music)
    Last edited by bluenote; 07/10/2011 at 09:32 PM.
  2.    #2  
    Overall while traveling the TouchPad was extremely helpful and if I could have updated my excel spreadsheet, it would have been what I needed.

The most amazing change was to carry such a lightweight device the size of a large book in my carry-on. This meant I only had one bag (my biz companion had 2). I found that the true weight comparison was to having to carry a laptop and charger, the extra 3-4 oz versus iPad2 was meaningless for a traveler in terms of overall luggage as so many factors come into play for overall luggage weight (e.g. choosing to carry heavier or lighter headphones or extra shoes , another jacket or toiletries are bigger factors in overall weight vs one or the other tablet).

Concerning fingerprints on the TouchPad's back, I side-stepped this by using the $5 Griffin case on sale from VZW as the HP case had not come yet. I was able to prop the Griffin case up in order to type and to find the power, volume buttons even though the HP case is more snug. (my biggest adjustment was learning how to type on a virtual keyboard and I have many comical mistakes, ugh).

The TouchPad's size was hugely helpful in booking and rebooking flights at the airport and cars and taxis. We had trouble all along in the way in flight plans changing, bad weather etc and it made a huge difference to have the tablet to quickly find flights, cars etc rather than squinting, pinching and zooming on a tiny Pre.

I also used the TouchPad for looking up a dinner menu at the hotel.

Big surprise: I was glad I had magazines on hand as we spent quite a bit of time on the runway with electronic devices off. Print lives, yeah!!

More on media, music in the next post...
    Last edited by bluenote; 07/11/2011 at 09:16 AM.
    nice write-up!!!
    Very nice write-up, thank you. How did you get Internet inside the airport? Did you tether it to your Pre? Or do you have a wifi contract with some company that provides service to airports?
  5.    #5  
    I had a long night at the hotel and the TouchPad for media, music came in handy.

I could look at the usual hulu etc sites and could access the movies I had transferred from my laptop the night before (The TouchPad found most of them that I had ripped using Handbrake including a digital copy of one movie that I had bought and downloaded via iTunes).

I could also access grooveshark and amazon cloud. I really liked the fact that the speakers played sound nicely throughout the 2 adjacent rooms in the hotel space without my having to use a headset.

Also really nice was that I could listen to the music that I had sideloaded from my laptop.

HP Play is a little bewildering as I am not sure how to get it to suck up folders I choose instead of just snarfing up playlists (I remember not liking iPod and iTunes for this very reason and I sold my iPod).
    I still haven't gotten the hang of HPPlay and HPPlay does not have much of my overall music collection which is mostly on an external hard drive. HPPlay anyway said that I did not have enough room on my TouchPad to download my collection and it asked me if I wanted it to make a random playlist (the answer was no)

Somehow it sucked a bunch from my playlists and it is sitting on the HPPlay server. I had to delete a bunch of selections that I did not want on the cloud, ugh, and it seems clumsy to suck up playlists for this very reason, folders are more controllable.

I brought wired stereo headsets for the TouchPad but found myself using them with my PrePlus as I walked in the early morning.

I had uploaded a box.net 100 mb lecture file the night before from my computer and it took a long time. I did not have time to download it to the TouchPad but it was good to know that I had that option.

One disappointment was that people could not hear me clearly when I transferred calls from the PrePlus w 2.1 to the TouchPad. I was counting on using the tablet as a phone speaker and am wondering what needs to be fixed here.

The TouchPad rebooted on me about once a day (the first time I was attempting to bookmark Google Docs, I don't remember the other times). It did not reboot on me when taking notes thankfully.

On both days, people hooked up their laptops to screens to show presentations. On the other hand, our meetings were less than 15 people and it did not seem required to do this, hard copy was still the norm.

I'm not crazy about virtual keyboards as I make so many mistakes. Also I like the tactile feedback on a regular keyboard (finger tips have more nerve endings and so are more sensitive than most of the body!). For this reason, I will probably get the bluetooth keyboard if I keep the TouchPad (waiting, waiting, waiting to see the update).

ps flightview on the Pre came in so handy when flights were cancelled, I did not see in the app catalog for TouchPad though. I think I used google maps on the pre during the rain as Sprint Nav was useless (the trip was like "Planes Trains and Automobiles" in so many ways), but I think I could also use bing maps on the TouchPad as long as I have it tethered but am not sure.

Summary:
    Overall, I was satisfied with my media options and the mix of media and business use. Not being able to edit a spreadsheet or be heard clearly on a phonecall over the TouchPad are huge drawbacks and if they are fixed, would make the difference between having an expensive toy (which I would probably return) and a very handy work/personal mobile computer. The light weight of the device and the ability to have more than 1 card open to check reservations and to pull from multiple sources quickly during a meeting etc was a delight when traveling.

edit: I have since learned that HPPlay is just a piece of software that is similar to itunes, it does not pull into the cloud.
    Last edited by bluenote; 07/11/2011 at 08:58 AM.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    Very nice write-up, thank you. How did you get Internet inside the airport? Did you tether it to your Pre? Or do you have a wifi contract with some company that provides service to airports?
    When I was traveling a lot last year, most of the airports provided free WiFi - especially when a lot of college kids were traveling.... The only one that never did was ATL...
  7.    #7  
    One airport had free wifi, another airport did not so I tethered to the Pre. At both airports, the Pre drained its battery very quickly and the airport had very few plugs at the gates.
    The TouchPad held its own in terms of battery. I used it for internet, twitter, music. I did not attempt it for movies on the hard drive as I only had the Pre charger and did not want the stress of possibly draining all my batteries.

Big surprise: Spoke to one or two iPad2 owners. They were both heavy travelers, domestic and international, and use their iPads mostly for reading, some email, as they do not want to carry books.
    The other features such as doc editing were not mentioned by them. Of course 2 travelers is not enough of a sample. Still I did not expect to hear that.
    Thanks for sharing your experiences in such detail, bluenote. Fascinating! I'm not one who would think to use mine as you did for your business needs, but reading how you used the TouchPad is great for those of us who want to learn how to exploit its benefits on a regular basis.
  9.    #9  
    OK, gotcha. Thanks. And were you using a VPN as well? I assume you didn't since you made no mention of it. I'll have other questions later as I read your posts in-depth. I appreciate you writing this as a fairly strict business-user of the TouchPad. I'm the same way, pretty much business and productivity all the way on my Pre and soon, TP.
    We don't have a VPN. That is why I tried to see if I could use TeamViewer to access my Mac remotely (see my first post on how this did not work).
    I am still looking for a solution other than the problematic Google Docs which I rarely use. On the old Treo, there used to be a service which would access my pc remotely for a monthly fee, it came in handy several times when I did not have the right files with me!
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    One airport had free wifi, another airport did not so I tethered to the Pre. At both airports, the Pre drained its battery very quickly and the airport had very few plugs at the gates.
    The TouchPad held its own in terms of battery. I used it for internet, twitter, music. I did not attempt it for movies on the hard drive as I only had the Pre charger and did not want the stress of possibly draining all my batteries.

Big surprise: Spoke to one or two iPad2 owners. They were both heavy travelers, domestic and international, and use their iPads mostly for reading, some email, as they do not want to carry books.
    The other features such as doc editing were not mentioned by them. Of course 2 travelers is not enough of a sample. Still I did not expect to hear that.
    OK, gotcha. Thanks for the details. Yes, tathering is very damnding on the lowly Pre and airports (purposely, I'm sure) do not make it easy to find electrical outlets.

Yuck, using an LCD-based device to read? That hurts my eyes even thinking about it. I tried that a while back on a PocketBook IQ. It got returned in a week. I think I'll stick to my eInk-based device for reading. An iPad, or a Touchpad for that matter, is a very expensive book reader.
    We don't have a VPN. That is why I tried to see if I could use TeamViewer to access my Mac remotely (see my first post on how this did not work).
    I am still looking for a solution other than the problematic Google Docs which I rarely use. On the old Treo, there used to be a service which would access my pc remotely for a monthly fee, it came in handy several times when I did not have the right files with me!
    All right, that explains it. I didn't know what TeamViewer was. It's a shame Google Docs was so clunky for you. That's the office suite I use exclusively.

Sorry to keep replying and replying and quoting and replying. This is a thread of great interest to me.
  12.    #12  

Yuck, using an LCD-based device to read? That hurts my eyes even thinking about it. I tried that a while back on a PocketBook IQ. It got returned in a week. I think I'll stick to my eInk-based device for reading. An iPad, or a Touchpad for that matter, is a very expensive book reader.
    Reading your post reminded me that it was very hard to see the TouchPad screen in the airport because of the glare when I was attempting to book flight reservations. I think I was sitting near a window as I was near the ticket agents in the front of the airport.
    Glare is a real issue in the light, this was a surprise to me.

Occasionally also the screen was not responsive when navigating through the reservation screens for flights and cars and I had to press the "continue" buttons several times or go back and start the process again. Other times, it worked well.
  13.    #13  
    All right, that explains it. I didn't know what TeamViewer was. It's a shame Google Docs was so clunky for you. That's the office suite I use exclusively.

Sorry to keep replying and replying and quoting and replying. This is a thread of great interest to me.
    No problem, feel free to ask away as I understand your concerns. TPADDay14, glad also to be of interest to you.

Rob, how do you get Google Docs to scroll and resize? It only showed me 4 lines in the spreadsheet and only a few columns and there was no scroll bar on the side as far as I could see, either on the pc at the hotel or the TouchPad's browser.
    Thanks for the write-up - these are my own experiences for the past week:

I'm a pastor - I got the Touchpad on July 1. I wasn't planning on using it for the sermon on Sunday, but somehow it didn't print out, so I e-mail it to my TP and used it for Sunday morning. I was concerned that the print would be too small for me to read, but the print was crisp and clear and didn't give me a problem.

On Monday I left for a summer camp with some kids from our church. I took the Touchpad, my Pre-, and my laptop. I was responsible for leading worship every night, so I wanted to see how difficult/easy it was to create documents on the TP.

Typewriter Beta and Memo are both difficult to use, in my opinion. I don't like virtual keyboards. My problem is that I prefer the tactile sensation, and it isn't there. I found myself watching my fingers more than the data I was entering.

However, when I stopped trying to type as I normally do on my laptop and did "hunt and peck", I was actually able to type more efficiently. Again, the text was clear and easy to read, so there was no problem there, and having the Bible open on another card made things very convenient.

I can see myself using the TP a lot. I would like a better input method (may look into a bluetooth keyboard), but I don't mind processing on another machine and sending it to myself.

One interesting note - at one point I needed and immediate e-mail and was nowhere around a wifi. I turned on my Pre-, opened Freetether, connected my laptop and my TP, and sent it over. Now if I can just figure out how to set up an Adhoc network using my Pre-, I'll be fine.

Overall feeling - I love my Touchpad.
    Reading your post reminded me that it was very hard to see the TouchPad screen in the airport because of the glare when I was attempting to book flight reservations. I think I was sitting near a window as I was near the ticket agents in the front of the airport.
    Glare is a real issue in the light, this was a surprise to me.

Occasionally also the screen was not responsive when navigating through the reservation screens for flights and cars and I had to press the "continue" buttons several times or go back and start the process again. Other times, it worked well.
    I wonder if a screen protector might help cut down the glare a bit in that situation. I ordered a Phantom Skinz for my TP...we'll see what the result is. Do you think the Continue button was unresponsive because of webOS, or because of wifi network congestion?

No problem, feel free to ask away as I understand your concerns. TPADDay14, glad also to be of interest to you.

Rob, how do you get Google Docs to scroll and resize? It only showed me 4 lines in the spreadsheet and only a few columns and there was no scroll bar on the side as far as I could see, either on the pc at the hotel or the TouchPad's browser.
    As I don't have my TP yet, I can't answer your Google Docs question definitively. But with a PC I can see all sorts of lines and vertical and horizontal scroll bars. What browser were you using at the hotel (other than the TP's browser)?
  16.    #16  
    I wonder if a screen protector might help cut down the glare a bit in that situation. I ordered a Phantom Skinz for my TP...we'll see what the result is. Do you think the Continue button was unresponsive because of webOS, or because of wifi network congestion?

As I don't have my TP yet, I can't answer your Google Docs question definitively. But with a PC I can see all sorts of lines and vertical and horizontal scroll bars. What browser were you using at the hotel (other than the TP's browser)?
    I can't tell definitively why it was slow but I would look to 3.0 webOS interaction first. Just now the google monthly calendar was slow, almost non responsive switching from July to August and back again on the TouchPad while on the PrePlus w 2.1 it was fine (both devices on my home wifi network).

I don't remember the hotel internet browser as it was hotel branded. I assume it was Explorer. Just now I accessed via Firefox and had a scrollbar; accessed via the TouchPad browser and did not.

I would think an anti-glare screen protector is worth a shot, especially if you plan to be in sunlit areas. The Griffin case shipped with a Xentris Wireless screen protector, if anyone has tried this, please let me know if it cuts down glare.
    Last edited by bluenote; 07/10/2011 at 10:47 PM.
  17.    #17  
    Email-- remembered one more thing.
    One of my personal accounts would not keep the password. This was also a battery drain as I think it kept trying to connect.
    Finally when I got home, I was able to fiddle with the settings and change something arbitrarily and then change it back so that the TouchPad would see it as a changed account and take the password.
    It is fine now.

It was not my main business account so I did not take it seriously especially as this has been happening also on the PrePlus with 2.1 (I usually ignore it and eventually fixes itself).

In general, I liked the email app on the TouchPad. It was easy to see and delete emails. I did not try to send anything as I was still getting used to the virtual keyboard (I used the PrePlus instead).
    I can't tell definitively why it was slow but I would look to 3.0 webOS interaction first. Just now the google monthly calendar was slow, almost non responsive switching from July to August and back again on the TouchPad while on the PrePlus w 2.1 it was fine (both devices on my home wifi network).

I don't remember the hotel internet browser as it was hotel branded. I assume it was Explorer. Just now I accessed via Firefox and had a scrollbar; accessed via the TouchPad browser and did not.

I would think an anti-glare screen protector is worth a shot, especially if you plan to be in sunlit areas.
    Ahh, the joys of using a beta webOS again. Life's grand, eh?

I recall reading Google was doing away with support for older browsers. I suspect the browser at the hotel was pretty old. Yep, found the blog post. See here for some more info: Our plans to support modern browsers across Google Apps - Docs Blog

But that doesn't explain why the TP's browser can't load scroll bars. It's very modern, or should be anyway. I'd log that into the http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-tracking.html thread.
  19.    #19  
    Ahh, the joys of using a beta webOS again. Life's grand, eh?

Told my biz partner that TouchPad was a long way away for being suitable for him as he needs things to "just work."

Of course his laptop was completely not usable for 24 hours during the trip as Outlook had corrupted and he found some script to fix it that took over a day to run with the many emails he has on his laptop.

His VZW Pre2 with the jerry rigged 2.1 I had installed (thanks webos internals!) was pleasantly reliable though after all his travails with the PrePlus. I think people have been under estimating the Pre2 as a workhorse (probably mainly because they reviewed it with 2.01?)

ps similar to the weight canard, the fact that it takes 1 min for the TouchPad to boot up was immaterial in the grand scheme of things, I easily spent the time pulling out my charger or finding a chair to sit down in the airport etc. Of course if the TouchPad had restarted while I was taking notes in the meetings, that would have been a real problem.
    Last edited by bluenote; 07/10/2011 at 11:19 PM.
    Typrewriter Beta seems to have a lot of promise when compared to the stock Memo app. That's good, because I hate taking notes or doing anything with Memo on my Pre and I hear it's no better on the TP. Odd that QuickOffice could not find the Excel sheet, yet it found the Word doc. Was the Excel sheet from Office 2010 and the Word doc from Office 2007...or something like that?

Google Docs is as secure as your password is for your Google Account. If you're as concerned about security as I am, you'll sign up for LastPass and settle your worries. Are you worried about your password being hacked in your Google account? Is that why you mentioned you don't use Google Docs because you need more security?

Your battery life is heartening. It would appear HPalm finally got a decent battery crammed into one of their devices. Good to know the TP and Pre charger are interchangeable. As you're a traveler and are going to lug around your TP (if you end up keeping it) you may wish to look at this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...one-keybd.html The fellow got a real nice netbook case that has enough room to securely hold the TP (in its case, no less), touchstone, cables, and Bluetooth keyboard. If I get the BT keyboard I suspect I'll get that case, too.

Like you, I think think there's going to be a huge adjustment period for me when it comes to a virtual keyboard. I'm glad to hear playing audio and video media was trouble-free. I listen to Rush Limbaugh podcasts all the time on my Pre and I plan on doing the same with my TP. Episodes of TV shows on Hulu will be nice. I just wonder if the TP has the same "stuck in headphones mode" as the old Pres and Pixies did. That problem bit me and my wife a couple of times on our phones. Had to exchange her Pixi because of it one time. We don't dare use headphones on our phones anymore because of that recurring problem.

I'm sorry to see the "random reboot" rears its ugly head again in webOS 3. Can't they kill that bug? My Pre used to do that a lot, but nowadays it just shuts off randomly when the screen is turned off. I don't know which is worse...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast