Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #21  
    Multi-tasking

Although I took this for granted as I am a webOS user, this is key so it deserves its own post. During the meeting, while I was taking notes, I could keep Typewriter Beta open while I checked an email for a fact or checked the web for some information.

I have never used an iPad except at the store where I found it very disconcerting that the email goes away when one opens another program, unless you have a very good memory, I could see that this would be difficult to do complicated tasks that require pulling information on the fly from multiple sources.
    On the other hand, its very zen to work on one thing at a time, I liked this about the iPad, ie the way it makes a person slow down and focus.

In the hotel room, when using media, I noticed the videos continued to play when I flipped from them to the web (the music as well). This was convenient as sometimes I get tired of watching the video and want to browse the web but I still want to hear the audio track on the video.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    Thanks for the write-up - these are my own experiences for the past week:

I'm a pastor - I got the Touchpad on July 1. I wasn't planning on using it for the sermon on Sunday, but somehow it didn't print out, so I e-mail it to my TP and used it for Sunday morning. I was concerned that the print would be too small for me to read, but the print was crisp and clear and didn't give me a problem.
    Glad you had this choice.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    Odd that QuickOffice could not find the Excel sheet, yet it found the Word doc. Was the Excel sheet from Office 2010 and the Word doc from Office 2007...or something like that?

Google Docs is as secure as your password is for your Google Account. If you're as concerned about security as I am, you'll sign up for LastPass and settle your worries. Are you worried about your password being hacked in your Google account? Is that why you mentioned you don't use Google Docs because you need more security?
    Both were created in Office 2008 for the Mac.

I don't use Google for business email. Their business model of generating advertising revenues seems to be tied up in their understanding of the content users put on their server. That is not appropriate for my business. If I had liked Google for a solution I would be using Android so I am hoping that HP gets its act together on the doc editing. My choice is between HP webOS and Apple.

edit: I had thought I had saved the spreadsheet to xls but it was xlsb format, I just saved now to xls format and emailed to myself and was able to open but QuickOffice still didn't find it on its own.
    Last edited by bluenote; 07/11/2011 at 08:38 AM.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Somehow it sucked a bunch from my playlists and it is sitting on the HPPlay server. .
    I thought HPPlay didn't copy any music anywhere ie no cloud service at the moment, just pointed at your local storage???
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by kitenski View Post
    I thought HPPlay didn't copy any music anywhere ie no cloud service at the moment, just pointed at your local storage???
    my understanding is that it takes your content (entire itunes folder? just playlists?) from your laptop or pc into the cloud and then your touchpad can download it from the hpplay server via playlists you specify.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    my understanding is that it takes your content (entire itunes folder? just playlists?) from your laptop or pc into the cloud and then your touchpad can download it from the hpplay server via playlists you specify.
    Unfortunately I don't believe this is the case. HPPlay is based on Songbird, and it is a local client which runs on your computer. The media is kept and syncs locally as far as I can tell.

Regards,
    Shane.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by shanelord View Post
    Unfortunately I don't believe this is the case. HPPlay is based on Songbird, and it is a local client which runs on your computer. The media is kept and syncs locally as far as I can tell.

Regards,
    Shane.
    You are right, it is not cloud based. Reading derek's review it sits on the local drive like itunes and will take entire music library or playlists and then sync them to the touchpad.
    Last edited by bluenote; 07/11/2011 at 08:00 AM.
  8.    #28  
    PS Standing on the shoulders of the homebrew giants, I had installed 3 patches before I started the trip, I don't know how the experience would have been without those 3 patches:

1) muffle system logging
    (I had understood this would make the device faster)

2. increase touch sensitivity v3.0.0-9
    (I had understood this would make the scrolling smoother)

3. Max Blocker
    I was able to play hulu and where the ads would normally be ,I would get a screen with text and a countdown to when the video would reappear (38 seconds or something like that)
  9.    #29  
    I found the TechHarvest reviewer viewpoint of TouchPad and the way he needs to use it is similar to mine, third part of his review is below:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TechHarv.../0/VdXAWm6DN0M
    Last edited by bluenote; 07/11/2011 at 09:58 AM.
  10.    #30  
    Update:

I've been using the TouchPad fairly heavily this weekend to prepare for tomorrow's trip.

What worked:

DAY 1
    Research and spreadsheet creation:
    I could easily find, download and scroll through a number of pdfs to find the information I needed. I could flip back and forth between the pdf and the browser where I was inputting search terms to get more detail.

It was a real bonus to easily zoom into the PDFs with my fingers and zoom out again; TouchPad and pdfs work brilliantly together.

I could even pull up a long document from Microsoft Word although it was harder given the format, to easily zoom and search via the 10-inch TouchPad screen.

On another card I had LibreOffice's spreadsheet running (see webOS Internals wiki for how to install Linux programs on the TouchPad) and I could input the terms I found relevant via bluetooth keyboard and then flip back to the pdfs to start the next search.
    All the while Spaz's twitter and Glimpse's twitter was running and if I wanted to read any news headlines in Glimpse or what have you, it was easily available.
    I could also jot a few tidbits on the "note" section in Glimpse.
    While I was working, email and also twitter notifications showed up (nice touch Glimpse dev!) which saved me the trouble of flipping through those programs.

Unfortunately, though, the TouchPad crashed quite a few times when I flicked off browser cards. I installed J-Stop (autocollect gc function) found in Preware to free up memory and it seemed to help in most cases although the machine would pause for a few seconds regularly to notify me when it was freeing up memory.

Day 2
    Research and document creation:

For this, I needed to find articles on the web and copy and paste them to a document. At the same time I was finishing up my spreadsheet.

This quickly got tedious as copy and paste function in the browser was hard to implement, rarely could I do it in one or two swoops of the finger.

At the same time, although my browser was no longer crashing, the bluetooth keyboard started returning weird characters like ">" instead of letters and caps lock would mysteriously stay on.

I abandoned the Note function in Glimpse as paste didn't seem to work. Typewriter Beta was easier but still sometimes hard to scroll down to the correct portion of the page to add the new information.

All-in-all, I stuck with it only because I knew that I had plenty of time to clean up everything using my laptop.

Interestingly, the operating system began to resemble for me piles of paper organized by topic--the type of old fashioned organization we used to do when we were creating projects and trying to see relationships between various bits of information.

I ended by emailing typewriter beta doc, notes doc, spreadsheet, and various items pasted into emails to myself (after transferring to media/internals using InternalzPro) to myself. I could have used USB or uploaded to boxnet.

Today I finished the project with a laptop while checking twitter and listening with headphones to TouchPad (sounded better than the Macbook, more streamlined sound, cleaner).

All-in-all, the project dramatically showed the tremendous mult-tasking versatility of webOS on the TouchPad and the pdf zoom-in was a great help.
    A lightbulb came on for me and for the first time, I understood the power of stacks as a way to help the creative process by organized related pieces of information just as one used to spread out pieces of paper on the floor and then begin to collate them into themes and trends for a research paper.

The project also showed the limitations of the TouchPad right now for my work purposes. The OTA can't get here fast enough for me, I hope it shows up tomorrow even though I will already be on the road.

edit: ota here and copy, paste solved, see next post. woot!
    Last edited by bluenote; 08/03/2011 at 09:24 AM.
  11.    #31  
    update:

chromium browser in ubuntu is very fast and does copy, paste like a champ to libreoffice writer doc, with my finger doing the mouse scroll functions. with this functionality very very close to jimmy fallon reality of being able to shift at will from "work" persona to webos "play" persona, music app running in background right now as i type in chromium and various twitter apps running also.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12