Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Ok, this is a little cross platform. I've been unable to acceptable speeds using my Pre and FreeTether. It works great, just really slow.

So I figured I'd try my son's Android phone. Rooted and installed two tethering apps but could not get my touchpad to connect. Try me pre, no luck. Tried my laptop and bingo! It connected and gets greats speeds.

Why can't a Palm/HP product connect. It does not see the SSID (although my laptop, also HP, did). If I try to enter in manually it still does not recognize it.

Since the tether apps works great with my laptop, it doesn't seem to be an app or phone issue. Something with recognizing and connecting. Any suggestions?
    your phone might be tethering in ad-hoc mode. I have the same problem with my symbian phone. The TP doesn't support ad-hoc...
    windows 7?
    Quote Originally Posted by andersa View Post
    The TP doesn't support ad-hoc...
    ...yet. That sounds like a challange to those Preware devs.
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    windows 7?
    Laptop is Windows 7, yes. What's the significance?
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andersa View Post
    your phone might be tethering in ad-hoc mode. I have the same problem with my symbian phone. The TP doesn't support ad-hoc...
    Than I assume the Pre does not support ad-hoc mode eitehr? How does the homebrew freetether manage tethering?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeking View Post
    Laptop is Windows 7, yes. What's the significance?
    depends on a few other questions. Windows tries to automatically configure wifi connections, and sometimes it can't get out of it's own way.

are you connecting via wifi (not bluetooth)?
    I have FreeTether on my Sprint Pre and it works great with my TouchPad, faster internet than when using it on my laptop, just fired up the FT app on my Pre and my TpuchPad found it's signal, typed in the password and in a few seconds I was connected.
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Yes, I'm connecting via wifi.

For whatever reason, freetether for me gets connections speeds of 50-150 kbps. Much too slow to be usable, so I'm exploring other options.
    Mine is fast, maybe where you are at you are not getting a good 3G signal. Are you with Verizon? Sometimes they throttle down the 3G connection.
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    I've downloaded using just my 3g and it's good (300 kbps or so). Something about how freetether is 'sharing' to connection seems to be a problem for me.
    So far, my newly plussed Pixi is providing decent speed through freeTether. It actually loads pages up faster than my slow DSL. I'll have to run netSpeed to see what the differences are.