Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29
Like Tree15Likes
  1.    #1  
    What are HP thinking? I'm very happy with my new touch pad, playing games and browsing the web. But that's pretty much all it seems to be able to do right now! Shouldn't it's key features be ready out of the box, not promised to come at some undisclosed (and if history is anything to go by, distant) date?

    None of the features I was really looking forward to are available! Kindle? Not yet. Movie store? You'll have to wait. Text via my Pre2? Nope, not right now. Document editing? In the future...

    The app store isn't even ready! I can't register my credit card because it won't allow me to choose UK!

    There are plenty of good points about the Touchpad, but these are sadly being overshadowed by the fact that it simply isn't ready yet!

    Get your finger out HP. I don't want to send my touch pad back, but if the features I was told the touchpad has aren't ready soon then I'm not likely to keep it! I'm not spending almost 500 for a glorified web browser! I can't name anything currently usable on the touchpad that my phone couldn't already do!
    kill_dano likes this.
  2. #2  
    I will disagree. It has completely replaced my netbook and made my computer usage and communication much more streamlined. It is missing a bit, but good things come to those who wait. We wont be left hanging for too long without Kindle among other apps. Have a little faith. I am already wowing my Android and iOS friends with what this can do, and that alone is worth the wait...to me at least.
    cobrakon likes this.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by greigb99 View Post
    What are HP thinking? ...

    Get your finger out HP. I don't want to send my touch pad back, but if the features I was told the touchpad has aren't ready soon then I'm not likely to keep it! I'm not spending almost 500 for a glorified web browser! I can't name anything currently usable on the touchpad that my phone couldn't already do!
    Ypu should take it back. They released it for those of us that feel it's worth the price.
    HelloNNNewman and Midway99 like this.
  4. LinT's Avatar
    Posts
    303 Posts
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    #4  
    it does SO much that I need/want it to do..AND they are going to be enabling more features soon. Thats a win win for me!
  5. #5  
    at least give it til the end of July
  6. #6  
    He says he is in the UK and has access to NO apps. not sure how HP is handling release outside of the US as well as their appstore.

    sounds like you guys are pretty much in worse shape than US counterparts.

    Can only say if you have a 30 day return policy... then see what comes up in a couple of weeks. supposedly there is a sw update and see whether hp gets your appstore rocking.

    imo it would be terrible if your appstore wasnt ready weeks after launch.

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWLandfair View Post
    I will disagree. It has completely replaced my netbook and made my computer usage and communication much more streamlined. It is missing a bit, but good things come to those who wait. We wont be left hanging for too long without Kindle among other apps. Have a little faith. I am already wowing my Android and iOS friends with what this can do, and that alone is worth the wait...to me at least.
  7. #7  
    they could have delayed it more - which would only lead to more frustrated users waiting and waiting and waiting. everyone knows how long we have waited for a webos tablet. Or they could have released it when they did and patch as they go. we know kindle and movies are coming. Crackle.com has lots of free media and so does hulu. hpplay syncs music. I can play youtube and cnn.com flash directly. Yeah I want citrix and kindle and quickoffice editing but we have (I would argue by turning logging to minimal = ##LOGS# in phone app or preware patch) usable product right now and can stop some further hemmohaging of more market share to anddroid (xoom) and the galaxy tab and ipad. And we know updates are coming....
  8. #8  
    They had to start somewhere. There is only so much testing you can do in house. You have to get it into consumers' hands. Only then will you find your shortcomings so that later models will be better.

    Early adopters will always have problems with the devices.
  9. #9  
    I agree this was somewhatnrushed into the market. So many apps not ready. Check the thisisnynext podcast where they talked aboht the Touchpad. JoshT talked with Palm and they admitted it was not ready but needed to release if due to a channeling issue.
  10. #10  
    Hi all,

    I've given this very issue a great deal of thought in the last few days...HP was in a position of Damned if you do and damned if you don't....

    Sometimes in theory tech hick-ups take longer to resolve then first thought. I think like any new tech product, there are a few problems that will get ironed out....I'm going to take HP/Palm at their word on this...

    We shall soon see.

    take care,

    Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Yhippa, SunRise and JED-WEB-OS like this.
  11. #11  
    Wow... I remember using that same analogy a year or two ago In a post about the pre when discussing why the pre was launched half baked. While it may be true, you think they'd learn from the past. Does it make it ok they do it again?

    Geez does sound like a bit of deja vu.... But different company with hp instead of palm. Only common factor... Jon rubi

    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

    I've given this very issue a great deal of thought in the last few days...HP was in a position of Damned if you do and damned if you don't....

    Sometimes in theory tech hick-ups take longer to resolve then first thought. I think like any new tech product, there are a few problems that will get ironed out....I'm going to take HP/Palm at their word on this...

    We shall soon see.

    take care,

    Jay
  12. #12  
    I'm so glad they released the TouchPad, I hardly ever fire up my laptop since I got it last Tuesday. The other day I was working out in the field and was sitting in my car with my Pre sitting on my cars Touchstone sending out a wifi signal via FreeTether surfing the net, emailing, IMing, listening to music thru my cars stereo, this thing is a multitasking monster! Does that answer your question?
    HelloNNNewman and cobrakon like this.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    t different company with hp instead of palm. Only common factor... Jon rubi
    Hi all.,

    That's exactly why I want to give them the benefit of the doubt!

    take care,

    Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  14. #14  
    Maybe because we were crying for the device to get released ASAP. :/
  15. #15  
    yup, they needed to get it out and yup it was rushed.

    im a little worried, but i would be a lot more worried if it was just palm.

    if it was palm, they surely would od really died from this, but being HP they can stumble a bit.

    i have no doubt that touch pad 2 hard ware wise will be everything we want it to be and that webos 3.5 will have a the features we want and most bugs gone.

    but will anyone, other than ppl on this forum, care?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by greigb99 View Post
    What are HP thinking? I'm very happy with my new touch pad, playing games and browsing the web. But that's pretty much all it seems to be able to do right now! Shouldn't it's key features be ready out of the box, not promised to come at some undisclosed (and if history is anything to go by, distant) date?

    None of the features I was really looking forward to are available! Kindle? Not yet. Movie store? You'll have to wait. Text via my Pre2? Nope, not right now. Document editing? In the future...

    The app store isn't even ready! I can't register my credit card because it won't allow me to choose UK!

    There are plenty of good points about the Touchpad, but these are sadly being overshadowed by the fact that it simply isn't ready yet!

    Get your finger out HP. I don't want to send my touch pad back, but if the features I was told the touchpad has aren't ready soon then I'm not likely to keep it! I'm not spending almost 500 for a glorified web browser! I can't name anything currently usable on the touchpad that my phone couldn't already do!
    They just needed to get it out and iron things out, at this point it didnt matter if it was heavy, had less battery or the software was buggy and inadequate. If they didnt get it out, developer support would wane, people would buy Samsung Tab or IP-2. They could spend another 3 years on the software and still it wouldnt be optimized. There is always something better. As long as it was not so buggy software like playbook, they were happy in getting it out and testing on first real beta testers. They are looking for the next version of TP and Opal to be released soon.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  17. #17  
    In part, I agree with OP. My Veer can read ePub books, add bold/italics in text, auto correct typing better, fuller calendar (with Uber patch)...
    Of course, the TP has a lot more in other ways. But to lack big features like remote desktop, mirroring, video out, etc... And STILL not even have ready the things we WERE told about, is pretty poor. Add overall bugginess...
    Just hope update is sooner than later... Chatted with HP tonight they say they are aware and working... Now a week past launch and still zero. Not impressive.
    but, it being webOS,we wait, patiently...
  18. libray's Avatar
    Posts
    195 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    #18  
    The TP was released so fast so that the Pre3 can be released sometime after it. That's when the real goods come to the front
    Palm III -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Sprint FrankenPixi+ -> Blackberry Bold 9930
  19. #19  
    Without the pre 3 why not just buy another model. There is no advantage to having it if you can not use it with your phone and you plan on staying with Sprint. Might as well go with Apple at least they have lots of apps and it is proven.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
    Without the pre 3 why not just buy another model. There is no advantage to having it if you can not use it with your phone and you plan on staying with Sprint. Might as well go with Apple at least they have lots of apps and it is proven.
    Because some of us really do like the TouchPad and want a webOS product. I know it's really hard to believe, but not everyone in the world wants an apple product. <<please note... that comment doesn't open the gates to turn this into another apple vs. webOS thread>>
    ilovedessert and hparsons like this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions