Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes
    A LOT of the issues you are describing deal with rights management and geo restrictions.

I understand it is HP's responsibility to make sure they are dealt with, but at the moment the monopolistic governments seen in Canada and the UK are making it incredibly difficult for distributors to allow and manage digital content.

So please also think about contacting your MP about this issue, and read up on it.

A corperation can only do so much when you elect an official to govern them in a way that puts up barriers and walls that they must climb over.

Please read up on Net Neutrality, geo-restrictions, the digital copyright act and other UK specific laws regarding digital content and your telecommunications committee (the BBC I think?)

You will be surprised at how ludicrous it is. They are 20 years in the past.

source: Media Productions Post Graduate.

Quote Originally Posted by greigb99 View Post
    What are HP thinking? I'm very happy with my new touch pad, playing games and browsing the web. But that's pretty much all it seems to be able to do right now! Shouldn't it's key features be ready out of the box, not promised to come at some undisclosed (and if history is anything to go by, distant) date?

None of the features I was really looking forward to are available! Kindle? Not yet. Movie store? You'll have to wait. Text via my Pre2? Nope, not right now. Document editing? In the future...

The app store isn't even ready! I can't register my credit card because it won't allow me to choose UK!

There are plenty of good points about the Touchpad, but these are sadly being overshadowed by the fact that it simply isn't ready yet!

Get your finger out HP. I don't want to send my touch pad back, but if the features I was told the touchpad has aren't ready soon then I'm not likely to keep it! I'm not spending almost 500 for a glorified web browser! I can't name anything currently usable on the touchpad that my phone couldn't already do!
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Because some of us really do like the TouchPad and want a webOS product. I know it's really hard to believe, but not everyone in the world wants an apple product. <<please note... that comment doesn't open the gates to turn this into another apple vs. webOS thread>>

Hi,

Well said and high time that it was said!

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    A LOT of the issues you are describing deal with rights management and geo restrictions.

I understand it is HP's responsibility to make sure they are dealt with, but at the moment the monopolistic governments seen in Canada and the UK are making it incredibly difficult for distributors to allow and manage digital content.

So please also think about contacting your MP about this issue, and read up on it.

A corperation can only do so much when you elect an official to govern them in a way that puts up barriers and walls that they must climb over.

Please read up on Net Neutrality, geo-restrictions, the digital copyright act and other UK specific laws regarding digital content and your telecommunications committee (the BBC I think?)

You will be surprised at how ludicrous it is. They are 20 years in the past.

source: Media Productions Post Graduate.
    Sure, I personally don't like the fact that I cannot watch the olympics streaming content from NBC because I live in Canada. But I also understand that NBC bought the US rights and CTV bought the Canadian rights --- and CTV doesn't have a lot of internet olympics streaming stuff.

Net Neutrality was never alive in the first place. It was a Google PRPRPR $idea$ $to$ $make$ $themselves$ $look$ $good$ --- $but$ $it$ $backfired$ $on$ $Google$ $when$ $Google$ $made$ $a$ $deal$ $with$ $carriers$ $like$ $Verizon$ $for$ $co$-$location$. $Google$'$s$ &$quot$;$net$ $neutrality$&$quot$; $basically$ $means$ $that$ --- $well$, $we$ $are$ $one$ $of$ $the$ $4$ $horsemen$ $of$ $the$ $internet$ $and$ $we$ $can$ $afford$ $to$ $pay$ $carriers$ $for$ $co$-$location$. $If$ $you$ $are$ $the$ $poor$ $start$-$up$ $running$ $in$ $your$ $parents$' $garage$ $and$ $can$'$t$ $pay$ $for$ $co$-$location$, $then$ $tough$ $luck$.

It has nothing to do with digital rights management. Google didn't have digital rights management technology --- so they spent $150 million to buy a DRM technology firm called Widevine. TI just certified their Anroid Netflix program that they wrote themselves --- using Microsoft's DRM.

It has nothing to do with geo-location because those Touchpad apps aren't even available in the US. We ain't talking about US Touchpad has a running movie store app and UK Touchpad doesn't.

Ludicrous is not seeing that there is a history in Hollywood where a single film can bankrupt a studio. So what do they do? They often split up the production costs before they actually film the movie --- and split up the distribution rights. Blade Runner is the perfect example --- the budget was split by three studios. One company got the US box office --- they lost money because it was a box office bomb. The second company got the overseas box office --- they lost money as well. The third company got the video and tv rights --- they made a ton of money from VHS and DVD sales.
  4.    #24  
    Well at least the app store seems to be working now. Come on HP, I want my texts on the Touchpad!
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Sure, I personally don't like the fact that I cannot watch the olympics streaming content from NBC because I live in Canada. But I also understand that NBC bought the US rights and CTV bought the Canadian rights --- and CTV doesn't have a lot of internet olympics streaming stuff.

Net Neutrality was never alive in the first place. It was a Google PRPRPR $idea$ $to$ $make$ $themselves$ $look$ $good$ --- $but$ $it$ $backfired$ $on$ $Google$ $when$ $Google$ $made$ $a$ $deal$ $with$ $carriers$ $like$ $Verizon$ $for$ $co$-$location$. $Google$'$s$ &$quot$;$net$ $neutrality$&$quot$; $basically$ $means$ $that$ --- $well$, $we$ $are$ $one$ $of$ $the$ $4$ $horsemen$ $of$ $the$ $internet$ $and$ $we$ $can$ $afford$ $to$ $pay$ $carriers$ $for$ $co$-$location$. $If$ $you$ $are$ $the$ $poor$ $start$-$up$ $running$ $in$ $your$ $parents$' $garage$ $and$ $can$'$t$ $pay$ $for$ $co$-$location$, $then$ $tough$ $luck$.

It has nothing to do with digital rights management. Google didn't have digital rights management technology --- so they spent $150 million to buy a DRM technology firm called Widevine. TI just certified their Anroid Netflix program that they wrote themselves --- using Microsoft's DRM.

It has nothing to do with geo-location because those Touchpad apps aren't even available in the US. We ain't talking about US Touchpad has a running movie store app and UK Touchpad doesn't.

Ludicrous is not seeing that there is a history in Hollywood where a single film can bankrupt a studio. So what do they do? They often split up the production costs before they actually film the movie --- and split up the distribution rights. Blade Runner is the perfect example --- the budget was split by three studios. One company got the US box office --- they lost money because it was a box office bomb. The second company got the overseas box office --- they lost money as well. The third company got the video and tv rights --- they made a ton of money from VHS and DVD sales.
    Its strange, I agreed with every single thing you said as I read your post, but now that I am done, I have no idea what you were talking about.
    greigb99 likes this.
    OH YEAH! now the common denonitator has moved aside... maybe no more deja vu! so timely.

HP's Stephen DeWitt to lead webOS global business unit, Jon Rubinstein stepping aside -- Engadget

Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all.,

That's exactly why I want to give them the benefit of the doubt!

take care,

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Geez does sound like a bit of deja vu.... But different company with hp instead of palm. Only common factor... Jon rubi
    Last edited by donm527; 07/11/2011 at 05:02 PM.
  7.    #27  
    Well now we have an update in "10 days or so" (Just a rephrase of "in the coming weeks"?). Does this mean HP are listening?!
    Quote Originally Posted by greigb99 View Post
    Well now we have an update in "10 days or so" (Just a rephrase of "in the coming weeks"?). Does this mean HP are listening?!
    Sorry guy, but "10 days or so" is nothing even remotely similar to "in the coming weeks". Sometimes I wonder if some of the complaieners will ever be happy with any answer, other than "I'll get it to you yesterday, we'll pay you to take it, and double the pay if it's not perfect".

Might make some whiners happy, but it's no way to run a business.

If there's no update in 10 days, folks will have a reason to come back and complain. Until then, the question has been asked and answered.
    Why did HP release the Touchpad? Simple: Me and the family are driving to the Grand Canyon from California, about 7 hours one way. I called HP and begged them to release anything right now, because the spectre of listening to Radio Disney for 14 hours was truly terrifying! So far, I've loaded six dvds - which I access through Gemini File Manager (stupid Photos App!), and I have 7gb room left for more! Thank you HP!!
    Palm III -> Palm m500 -> Zire 71 -> Zire 72 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre Minus -> TWO Touchpads 16gb -. and unfortunately, a Motorola Photon 4G...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12