webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > My HP Touchpad seems to be running so fast!
My HP Touchpad seems to be running so fast!
Like Tree125Likes

Old 07/10/2011, 01:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

After reading this article The HP TouchPad homebrew community is already alive and well | ZDNet,
I installed the Preware app on my HP TOUCHPAD and installed a couple of patches available from the Homebrew community..

1. Faster Card Animations Hyper Version
2. Increase Tocuh Sensitivity and Smoothness
3. Muffle System Logging
4. Remove Dropped Packet Logging
5. Unthrottle Download Manager

To my surprise, my HP TOUCHPAD is screaming fast now. I hope somebody can validate this other than me.

Thanks to Preware and the homebrew community!! More power to you guys!
jalaed18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by docholiday, STBXXL, ktessner and 23 others like this.
Old 07/10/2011, 01:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Any chance we could get a video of it. I'm really curious as to how fast it looks compared to a stock device. Been curious about the faster card animation and the touch sensitivity patches

But this is good to hear. The logging has been a problem from the beginging and I am surprised they havent fixed that yet, and the throttling for downloads never made sense to me
dcbo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2011, 02:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

I will really try dcbo89. Creating a video about it might be an understatement The feel is just really different. I can tell that prior to the patch specially the last one that I installed "Increase Touch Sensitivity and Smoothness", I was feeling some hesitation from the Touchpad, after the patch, my thumb is not as tired It is zippy.
jalaed18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2011, 03:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

jalaed, did you just put it on your touchpad today..or has it been a couple days? have you noticed any hicups or anything?? if you dont get a chance to make a video..can you at least post some general loading times?? for instance, facebook usually takes 2 light flashes (dont know how else to put it hah) so roughly 2 seconds. adobe takes 3 flashes. quick office took 5 flashes on mine.. so if you cud jus test a few apps out and let us know. thanks in advance!

i want to homebrew my touchpad really badly, but im kind of hesitant for some reason. ive had my pre homebrewed ever since homebrew started...
scorpeo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2011, 04:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

I just installed Preware and installed the patches you mentioned above and all I can say is Holy bleep!
rburtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: BuddyHM17
Old 07/10/2011, 04:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

loaded up these patches, and yeah it appears to put a little zip in the HP TouchPad.
Old 07/10/2011, 06:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Anybody else have a problem with

"2. Increase Tocuh Sensitivity and Smoothness" (sic)

Causing difficulty with tapping - or are my fingers just fat? I noticed that I had to be more precise in tapping with that particular patch installed - for the most part it made it a bit more difficult to do what I wanted to do with the first tap. I might just be me and lack of tablet-touch skills.

Others work great here!
kayphoonstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2011, 06:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

It does slightly increase the difficulty of precise taps. But aside from that it's pretty nice.
FenrirWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2011, 07:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpeo88 View Post
jalaed, did you just put it on your touchpad today..or has it been a couple days? have you noticed any hicups or anything?? if you dont get a chance to make a video..can you at least post some general loading times?? for instance, facebook usually takes 2 light flashes (dont know how else to put it hah) so roughly 2 seconds. adobe takes 3 flashes. quick office took 5 flashes on mine.. so if you cud jus test a few apps out and let us know. thanks in advance!

i want to homebrew my touchpad really badly, but im kind of hesitant for some reason. ive had my pre homebrewed ever since homebrew started...
if you have truly spent that much time with homebrew how could the first thing you did on your tp not be installing preware?

Twitter @robchilcott
pre2
" I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
Daughter -- my old pre+
of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
mespiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rennat, LA6507 and RICKV like this.
Old 07/10/2011, 07:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

What are other favorite Homebrew apps/patches for TouchPad? I assume Save/restore.
mike5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2011, 08:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

I got preware installed and installed everything except the Touch Sensitivity patch. You are right. This thing is screaming now.

Last edited by bobsentell; 07/10/2011 at 08:22 PM.
bobsentell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2011, 08:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

wow waaaaaaaaay faster
boyo3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2011, 08:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

Definitely seems to have given it a bit more pep in it's step!
wylis76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2011, 10:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

the first thing you will notice is how quick precentral opens on the TP.
WANDO RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2011, 10:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

it only appears to be faster. It is not actually faster. But stock the Touchpad is faster then my iPad... Really shouldnt compare a 1st gen device to a 2nd gen device.

All reviews of Touchpad vs. iPad 2 are inaccurate.

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
Put your device in Developer mode.
From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
Vualla Preware is installed.]
demetry14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dweiums and kurt178 like this.
Old 07/10/2011, 10:34 PM   #16 (permalink)

Are they really still throttling the download manager? I'd like to hear the reasoning as to why they want to throttle download speeds...
Thanked By: kjhoover
Old 07/10/2011, 10:41 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
Are they really still throttling the download manager? I'd like to hear the reasoning as to why they want to throttle download speeds...
Could have been carryover from the smartphone shell. It might have been lower on the priority list when they were adapting webOS for a tablet.

I must add that with these patches installed that even the HP App Market seems faster in its downloads.
Old 07/10/2011, 11:02 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalaed18 View Post
After reading this article The HP TouchPad homebrew community is already alive and well | ZDNet,
I installed the Preware app on my HP TOUCHPAD and installed a couple of patches available from the Homebrew community..

1. Faster Card Animations Hyper Version
2. Increase Tocuh Sensitivity and Smoothness
3. Muffle System Logging
4. Remove Dropped Packet Logging
5. Unthrottle Download Manager

To my surprise, my HP TOUCHPAD is screaming fast now. I hope somebody can validate this other than me.

Thanks to Preware and the homebrew community!! More power to you guys!
This seems to make the TP much faster. Thanks
taxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: jetsetter883
Old 07/11/2011, 12:07 AM   #19 (permalink)

Video video video !!!! ...please
ExWebOSFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2011, 12:20 AM   #20 (permalink)
etx

I agree, it does help. Its probably mostly the logging that helps. I noticed it logs more than my pre2 does.
etx is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: dserodon

Tags
hp touchpad tweaks, speed up

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0