Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree125Likes
    I installed most of these and some other tweaks to my TP and showed it to my coworker [an IT guru]. He handed me HIS TP and said "Could you please do that to mine?" I was a little shocked because he's the IT guy... but I have been around The palm/Webos community and been 'tweaking' since Treo 650 ROM updates were available.

I have to say that these particular tweaks help the TP be snappier.

Edit: Also put some of these on my Pre+ and Pre2. Although a couple "Are not available for WebOS 2.1.0." the 10px smoother card animations one is one of those. I just used the other one. seems to make a big difference, esp with the +.
    Last edited by e-gadget-guy; 07/23/2011 at 01:55 PM. Reason: new info
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    just a feedback.

everything is kewl except app catalogue still take a long time to upload.
    FWIW, the warthog kernel is now in the testing feeds. It features a slimmed down kernel with other features coming soon. No overclocking at this time.

PS. I will not answer any questions about how to get/configure the testing feeds.
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/warthogkernel

Experimental warthog kernels for webOS devices. Patches such as Muffle System Logging, Max Blocker etc.

Donations go towards further experimentation.
    I'm not sure why, but I added all the enhancements via prepared per the OP, but I havent really noticed any improvement. After installing the patches, is it necessary to activate them somehow?
    Quote Originally Posted by codecrumb View Post
    FWIW, the warthog kernel is now in the testing feeds. It features a slimmed down kernel with other features coming soon. No overclocking at this time.

PS. I will not answer any questions about how to get/configure the testing feeds.
    just for curiosity -- how does your new kernel differ from the uberkernel that was offered yesterday? and --when will the overclocking begin?? 2ghz --i need i want

thank you good night you are the greatest people
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Quote Originally Posted by nudicles View Post
    I'm not sure why, but I added all the enhancements via prepared per the OP, but I havent really noticed any improvement. After installing the patches, is it necessary to activate them somehow?
    Don't forget to re-boot after you install the patches.
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    just for curiosity -- how does your new kernel differ from the uberkernel that was offered yesterday? and --when will the overclocking begin?? 2ghz --i need i want

thank you good night you are the greatest people
    Documented on Twitter.

Experimental warthog kernels for webOS devices. Patches such as Muffle System Logging, Max Blocker etc.

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    tried installing warthog twice. each time required doctoring tp back to default. my advice would be not to install this kernel until some of the kinks are ironed out.
    Quote Originally Posted by elopez View Post
    tried installing warthog twice. each time required doctoring tp back to default. my advice would be not to install this kernel until some of the kinks are ironed out.
    Yeah, some of the experimental kernels sometimes go into the testing feed to remind people that it's an alpha testing feed and that the rules for that alpha testing feed say quite clearly that you need to be prepared to doctor at any time without regret.

UberKernel, on the other hand, is always confirmed to at least boot on each device before entering the testing feed.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    warthog 3.0.0-13 *should* be okay to use now.

It also includes the following:

* tick skew patch - should address some power issues
    * BFQ - IO scheduler. I want people to test this out as much as possible.
    * 1000HZ - instead of 100HZ

Last edited by codecrumb; 07/29/2011 at 04:25 PM.

I'm glad people like the logging patches as they do make a significant difference. The following is what I would recommend to have installed/configured for webOS 3.x

1) Start the Phone app on the TouchPad, dial ##LOGS#, clear logs and set to minimal logging.

2) Fire up Preware, navigate to Available Other > All and install EOM Overlord Monitoring. This kills the processes that uploads log files to Palm. This also saves on unnecessary bandwidth being consumed without your knowledge.

3) Patches

* Make It So (of course, you need this patch)
    * Muffle System Logging
    * Remove Dropped Packet Logging
    * Unset CFQ IO Scheduler
    * Unthrottle Download Manager
    * Quiet powerd Messages
    * Faster Card Animations HYPER Version
    * Increase Touch Sensitivity And Smoothness 10 (this is the 10px version)

4) For extra points, also install the following patches

* Max Blocker (ad and analytics cookies blocker)
    * Private Browsing

5) Lastly, browse to OpenSearch Entries and add a secure search engine to use instead.
    I have all these installed, thx they are awesome. Wondering if I need to take them off before I install the update from HP? Thanks again for everything
    Anyone have Muffle System Logging fail after the 3.0.2 upgrade? Here's the error:

Postinst
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps/bin/sh/media/croptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.patches.system-muffle-system-logging.postinst 2>&1
    1 our of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file etc/PmLogContexts.conf.rej
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
    I'm waiting to install the update until I hear from the Homebrew devs that everything works OK in 3.0.2
    Quote Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
    Anyone have Muffle System Logging fail after the 3.0.2 upgrade? Here's the error:

Postinst
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps/bin/sh/media/croptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.patches.system-muffle-system-logging.postinst 2>&1
    1 our of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file etc/PmLogContexts.conf.rej
    i cannot get muffle system logging nor the remove dropped packet logging patches to install after the update.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    i cannot get muffle system logging nor the remove dropped packet logging patches to install after the update.
    Same. Something must have changed a bit there.
    Quote Originally Posted by irwinr12 View Post
    I'm waiting to install the update until I hear from the Homebrew devs that everything works OK in 3.0.2
    That is the correct course of action. We are still in the 24h after OTA release where you should wait before doing anything.

Watch @webosinternals on Twitter for updates.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jalaed18 View Post
    After reading this article The HP TouchPad homebrew community is already alive and well | ZDNet,
    I installed the Preware app on my HP TOUCHPAD and installed a couple of patches available from the Homebrew community..

1. Faster Card Animations Hyper Version
    2. Increase Tocuh Sensitivity and Smoothness
    3. Muffle System Logging
    4. Remove Dropped Packet Logging
    5. Unthrottle Download Manager

To my surprise, my HP TOUCHPAD is screaming fast now. I hope somebody can validate this other than me.

Thanks to Preware and the homebrew community!! More power to you guys!
    I thought I was preware savvy but I can't find any of these apps on preware on my touchpad. Is there something I am doing wrong? Where do you find them? Did updating to webOS 3.0.2 mess things up?
    Some stuff changed in 3.0.2. I have patches ready to go. Just need Rod to update the patch backend infrastructure to support this.

Some stuff changed in 3.0.2. I have patches ready to go. Just need Rod to update the patch backend infrastructure to support this.
    Yep, that will happen sometime in the next 9 or so hours.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Same. Something must have changed a bit there.
    Same here for Quiet powerd Messages and Increase Touch Sensitivity And Smoothness 10. Can't update or remove! Yes I only waited a few hours to install the update last night, and it's still in the 24 hour period so I understand.

Nevertheless, there should be a course of action for resolving this (and letting 3.0.0 people know to remove these patches before updating). Just my 2 cents.