Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 273
Like Tree125Likes
  1. shingers5's Avatar
    Posts
    37 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    #141  
    Quote Originally Posted by irwinr12 View Post
    And some of us still have our original Palm Pre on Sprint and it still runs great. I'm not sure what promises you're referring to, but most people are mostly unhappy with the lack of new hardware on Sprint. It's unfortunate that people blame Palm and HP for this. They have no control over which carriers adopt their phones. Do you really think Palm or HP have stopped Sprint from getting the Pre 2 or Pre 3? That's logical nonsense.

    Maybe you're talking about WebOS 2.x not coming to the original Pre/Pre+/Pixi/Pixi+ devices. I'm happy with 1.4.5 on my Sprint Pre but sure I wish I could get 2.x on it, and I could if I really wanted to. The great thing about HP/Palm is that they *let* us do things like FrakenPre's and MetaDoctors to get around stupid carriers like Sprint. Given the choice between WebOS 2.x on Sprint or a Pre 3 on Sprint, I'd take the Pre 3 any day. In fact, I've already ordered a Verizon Pre 2 (off contract) and I will be upgrading to the Pre 3 as soon as it's out and ditching my line on Sprint.

    What other complaints do you have about the TouchPad?

    -Jeremy
    no way am talking about sprint, actually couldnt care less. i bought the original pre with all its shortcomings and decided to hang in there. then pre plus came out and then pre 2. support for pre and pre plus stopped and to get later features from 2.0 you have to buy a new device. most of the features available with 2.xx was promised to be available on at least the pre plus leaving the pre in the cold. eventually hp decided that even pre plus was now obsolete. in effect all the companies do it mate. they make old handsets obsolete and state to get latest feratures you need a new phone! TP will be no different i am afraid and it wont be long after the 4g 1.5 ghz tablet is released that the original will suffer. why not release both with similar processors? crazy move i am afraid. my TP is too unstable for everyday use and i for one dont see why should have to accept that. i ditched the original iphone when it was released and the ipad also. i held back on early android offerings for the same reason as was just not good enough! my main point is that with what is already available why release a tablet with an incomplete UI? people who are new to webos will be put off by that and also some longtime users will also not accept it. the competition is so stiff out there right now so hardware is not good enough! android being the mess it is has a head start on HP but they have not made up any ground with this release. People cannot keep saying that to compare webos with IOS and Android is unfair as that is what it is in direct competition with! i love tech and have no preference but i expected more period. i did not want to buy a product that freezes randomly, keeps rebooting at very inopportune times, non responsive browser, graphic glitches galore etc etc etc. i wanted it to work, to knock the socks off my acer iconia and my ipad! is that too much to ask of webos? i dont think so as its about bloody time it delivered!
  2. #142  
    Quote Originally Posted by shingers5 View Post
    no way am talking about sprint, actually couldnt care less. i bought the original pre with all its shortcomings and decided to hang in there. then pre plus came out and then pre 2. support for pre and pre plus stopped and to get later features from 2.0 you have to buy a new device. most of the features available with 2.xx was promised to be available on at least the pre plus leaving the pre in the cold.
    Besides Flash, what features were promised and not delivered?

    Quote Originally Posted by shingers5 View Post
    eventually hp decided that even pre plus was now obsolete. in effect all the companies do it mate. they make old handsets obsolete and state to get latest feratures you need a new phone!
    I'm not saying I agree with this but... if you feel like everyone does it why do you seem so shocked? If everyone else does it what do you expect? The original Pre and Pre+ are simply underpowered to handle many of the new features in WebOS 2.x. So the experience would be miserable on them anyhow.

    Quote Originally Posted by shingers5 View Post
    TP will be no different i am afraid and it wont be long after the 4g 1.5 ghz tablet is released that the original will suffer. why not release both with similar processors? crazy move i am afraid.
    First of all, they are "similar processors" 1.2 vs 1.5 is not a big difference. I'm sure when the custom kernels come out we'll be able to go well beyond 1.5 Ghz on the original TouchPad. And because building a product line takes time. They could have waited to release the first TouchPad but why wait and let others penetrate the market deeper. It's better to release early and release often. This is widely known and accepted in the technology world.

    Quote Originally Posted by shingers5 View Post
    my TP is too unstable for everyday use and i for one dont see why should have to accept that. i ditched the original iphone when it was released and the ipad also. i held back on early android offerings for the same reason as was just not good enough! my main point is that with what is already available why release a tablet with an incomplete UI? people who are new to webos will be put off by that and also some longtime users will also not accept it. the competition is so stiff out there right now so hardware is not good enough! android being the mess it is has a head start on HP but they have not made up any ground with this release. People cannot keep saying that to compare webos with IOS and Android is unfair as that is what it is in direct competition with! i love tech and have no preference but i expected more period. i did not want to buy a product that freezes randomly, keeps rebooting at very inopportune times, non responsive browser, graphic glitches galore etc etc etc. i wanted it to work, to knock the socks off my acer iconia and my ipad! is that too much to ask of webos? i dont think so as its about bloody time it delivered!
    Dude, did you not realize that you're on a thread with 8 pages of posts now of people talking about how happy they are with the performance of their TouchPad? Either you've got a lemon or you just like to complain. My TouchPad has been rock solid stable after the first few days of syncing passed, and then after installing the logging patches mentioned in this thread, now it's even zippier. To the point that I can almost do all my emails and such from the TouchPad faster than from my PC. No hangs, no crashes and no sluggishness.

    -Jeremy
  3. shingers5's Avatar
    Posts
    37 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    #143  
    @ jeremy

    mate are you seriously telling me that your HP has never froze or been non responsive at all? you have not had any random reboots at all? are you reading this forum dude and all over the web as many people have had similar experiences as me, many people! you seem blinded by this webos thing where as i am just casting my personal user experience also shared by others! it is what it is and thats what my TP did period!

    complain? you dont know me dude so refrain from making such assumptions! respect my opinion as i have stated a factual account of my user experience with a UK touchpad. i have no vested interest either way! you disagree so i accept!
  4. #144  
    Quote Originally Posted by shingers5 View Post
    @ jeremy

    mate are you seriously telling me that your HP has never froze or been non responsive at all? you have not had any random reboots at all? are you reading this forum dude and all over the web as many people have had similar experiences as me, many people! you seem blinded by this webos thing where as i am just casting my personal user experience also shared by others! it is what it is and thats what my TP did period!

    complain? you dont know me dude so refrain from making such assumptions! respect my opinion as i have stated a factual account of my user experience with a UK touchpad. i have no vested interest either way! you disagree so i accept!
    Like I said before, and like it's been said many times, even by HP themselves: The first day or so yes it did hang on me a few times, but only for a few seconds at a time. It's never randomly rebooted.

    However if you look at the posts "all over the web" you'll notice a trend, everyone is reporting their first day experience. Those same people have often come back and said that after a day or so the random hangs and sluggishness went away. At least those that didn't return it within the first few hours.

    -Jeremy
  5. #145  
    No random reboots here nor are there any or many hangs or freezing that it renders the TP unusable. Most if not all the computing device I use hang or takes time to load or catch up and that includes my windows phone 7, windows computer, my MacBook and even the computer at my work.
    tomtazz likes this.
  6. #146  
    Quote Originally Posted by irwinr12 View Post
    Like I said before, and like it's been said many times, even by HP themselves: The first day or so yes it did hang on me a few times, but only for a few seconds at a time. It's never randomly rebooted.

    However if you look at the posts "all over the web" you'll notice a trend, everyone is reporting their first day experience. Those same people have often come back and said that after a day or so the random hangs and sluggishness went away. At least those that didn't return it within the first few hours.

    -Jeremy
    Yup, that is the same with me. Within the first day alone I had 3 random reboots. I was beginning to think it was a bad idea to get it, but thankfully, that was the only time. No other random resets here, only reboots I experience is when I force them myself for installing patches.
  7. #147  
    same here. never had the reboots, just froze for 10 seconds or so...a lot of times when i don't pick up the TP for a while. when i press the center button, it takes a while to "wake up."

    but that was before the homebrew patches. it's been solid now, no freezes or anything. the only thing that's annoying right now is the blank email bug.

    and somewhat less annoying: i didn't realize how much i'd miss the real keyboard of my laptop or swype on my phone when i'm browsing around. not so much when reading articles, but when i'm "searching" for something, i didn't realize how much typing i do. but i knew this coming in....
  8. dulaney22's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    #148  
    I've only had mine 5 days, but haven't experienced much lag or locking up, especially after adding the patches. It did a soft reboot in mosaic and has locked up a couple times in it, but I think that's related entirely to the app. Email and browser might lag a couple seconds, but that seems to be better as well.
  9. gzinkl's Avatar
    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    #149  
    Little lag (facebook app sometimes, and that annoying email bug where the body of the message doesn't show up), and only a couple of random reboots, and usually when I'm driving it really hard. Can't wait for the update. Meanwhile, I'm rebooting apps constantly on iPad2 when I borrow it from my partner. The NY Times app is especially bad (of course, iOS has a nice one, we have a legacy one, but then again, we have a browser who gives us the NYT in all its internet glory, who needs an app??)
  10. kitenski's Avatar
    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    #150  
    Could someone clarify if these 2 tasks do the same thing, ie reduce error logging?

    1. Start the Phone app on the TouchPad, dial ##LOGS#, clear logs and set to minimal logging.

    and

    2. Install the patch Muffle System Logging
  11. #151  
    Quote Originally Posted by kitenski View Post
    Could someone clarify if these 2 tasks do the same thing, ie reduce error logging?

    1. Start the Phone app on the TouchPad, dial ##LOGS#, clear logs and set to minimal logging.

    and

    2. Install the patch Muffle System Logging
    Neither affect 'error' logging, errors are always logged. The author of the patch has said that both steps do different things but I'm not entirely sure exactly what each one does differently. He suggests you do both therefore I did both.
  12. #152  
    Quote Originally Posted by riw View Post
    when i try and add
    Remove Dropped Packet Logging
    to my veer it gives me this error
    error installing: see IPKG Log
    in log it says
    unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps/bin/sh/media etc etc.
    any suggestions
    This particular patch does not apply to webOS 2.1.2. This is normal.

    Quote Originally Posted by irwinr12 View Post
    When eBay sends you an email message, the 'Respond Now' link goes to rover.ebay.com. So if it's blocked you can't respond to any emails from eBay.

    -Jeremy
    Ok, that's sufficiently a pain that I'll remove rover.ebay.com from the Max Blocker patch. That'll be in the next release.
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/warthogkernel

    Experimental warthog kernels for webOS devices. Patches such as Muffle System Logging, Max Blocker etc.

    Donations go towards further experimentation.
  13. #153  
    Hi, Codecrumb. Thank you for everything you are doing for this community and for replying to my question.

    The Video Flood HD app for Touchpad points to numerous streaming TV shows and many of them do not function after installing Max Blocker. Some videos actually state the browser's ad blocker could be preventing connection. A few examples are:

    Around The World For Free Video - Ep 7: Haiti Hope and Struggle - CBS.com
    Watch Adult Swim Video: Childrens Hospital
    http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-epi...rvez-musharraf
    You're Getting Old (Season 15, Episode 7) - Full Episode Player - South Park Studios
    30 Rock - Respawn - Video - NBC.com
    http://vod.fxnetworks.com/watch/sunny

    That video flood app is a pretty neat way to find a lot of online streaming content in one place. One of the great things about having flash on our TP is being able to watch streaming TV shows on sites like cbs.com and others. Is there any way you could unblock the major network sites? Thanks!

    The Preware patches you mentioned in this thread have my Touchpad running like a champ. Thank you again!
    Last edited by jasonc1213; 07/20/2011 at 02:38 AM.
  14. #154  
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonc1213 View Post
    Hi, Codecrumb. Thank you for everything you are doing for this community and for replying to my question.

    The Video Flood HD app for Touchpad points to numerous streaming TV shows and many of them do not function after installing Max Blocker. Some videos actually state the browser's ad blocker could be preventing connection. A few examples are:

    Around The World For Free Video - Ep 7: Haiti Hope and Struggle - CBS.com
    Watch Adult Swim Video: Childrens Hospital
    http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-epi...rvez-musharraf
    You're Getting Old (Season 15, Episode 7) - Full Episode Player - South Park Studios
    30 Rock - Respawn - Video - NBC.com
    FX Networks - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - Full Episodes and Exclusive Video

    That video flood app is a pretty neat way to find a lot of online streaming content in one place. One of the great things about having flash on our TP is being able to watch streaming TV shows on sites like cbs.com and others. Is there any way you could unblock the major network sites? Thanks!

    The Preware patches you mentioned in this thread have my Touchpad running like a champ. Thank you again!
    Do these all fail or do some just complain about ad-blocking? It would help me if you can separate them into these two categories.
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/warthogkernel

    Experimental warthog kernels for webOS devices. Patches such as Muffle System Logging, Max Blocker etc.

    Donations go towards further experimentation.
  15. #155  
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    Yup, that is the same with me. Within the first day alone I had 3 random reboots. I was beginning to think it was a bad idea to get it, but thankfully, that was the only time. No other random resets here, only reboots I experience is when I force them myself for installing patches.
    I just got mine yesterday and I have had it operational less than 24 hours now; I had exactly three random reboots. Each time I recreated the circumstances that I thought created the issue; nothing. /shrug. It's a valid experience however it's not my biggest issue with the TP right now. I'm mainly concerned about getting that GPU acceleration into the OS as well as the native apps. The fact that there is no stock native ereading app that allows for the side loading of PDFs and epubs bugs the crap out of me. The rest of it will come in time. It's no different than any other early adoption experience.
  16. #156  
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonc1213 View Post
    Hi, Codecrumb. Thank you for everything you are doing for this community and for replying to my question.

    The Video Flood HD app for Touchpad points to numerous streaming TV shows and many of them do not function after installing Max Blocker. Some videos actually state the browser's ad blocker could be preventing connection. A few examples are...
    MaxBlocker can be very intrusive. Try removing it and using the AdBlocker patch by Jason.
  17. #157  
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    MaxBlocker can be very intrusive. Try removing it and using the AdBlocker patch by Jason.
    I really like how everything is running on the Touchpad browser with Max Blocker installed, but the streaming video is a must for me.

    Codecrumb, have you used the HD Flood app? It seems like many of the links organized there (cbs.com, fx.com, southparkstudios.com (and other comedy central shows), adultswim.com) do not allow for video. ABC seems to be one of the only sites that work well.

    The only one I've seen mentioning the ad blocker error on the actual flash player was cbs.com when I tried to watch an episode of "The Big Bang Theory". The rest just attempt to load the video and then nothing shows in the player.
  18. #158  
    Dude just uninstall MaxBlocker and see if it's the problem. It's easy to reinstall if it isn't the issue. It's only fair to do this before asking others to spend their time figuring out your problem.

    I've tried MaxBlocker on both my Pre+ and Touchpad and uninstalled it cause it broke several things. The AdBlocker patch is prob just as good and doesn't have all of the side effects of MaxBlocker. I'm running AdBlocker on both my Pre+ and Touchpad. Uninstall MaxBlocker and if everything works then try AdBlocker to see how it does. If it's still broken then reinstall MaxBlocker and hope for a fix
  19. #159  
    Max Blocker blocks around double what Ad Blocker does.

    Unfortunately, if you want to use Max Blocker, you are going to have to do some leg work in tracking things down.

    The following link shows what I see for nbc.com and cbs.com for the Max and Ad Blocker patches.

    https://pastee.org/g7k3w

    To identify the offending host, you can apply Max Blocker then novaterm in to comment out nbc/cbs related hosts one by one. This requires that you know at least some Unix.
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/warthogkernel

    Experimental warthog kernels for webOS devices. Patches such as Muffle System Logging, Max Blocker etc.

    Donations go towards further experimentation.
  20. #160  
    And no, I do not use that Flood app.
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/warthogkernel

    Experimental warthog kernels for webOS devices. Patches such as Muffle System Logging, Max Blocker etc.

    Donations go towards further experimentation.
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions