Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree125Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Panda View Post
    Just wondering, what is the difference between setting logging to minimal with ##LOGS# and applying Muffle System Logging? This was asked earlier, but I didn't see an answer.

And what about Remove Dropped Packet Logging? Is this logging not blocked by using ##LOGS# or Muffle System Logging?
    Read the descriptions, failing that, read the diffs. The patches obviously do different things which is why they are created in the first place.

The post I did on page 2 of this thread CLEARLY outlines what needs to be done. You can choose to install all, some or none of the patches but please do not ask questions about the differences if you can't make the effort to do some legwork on your own.

So for most people, the steps should be:
    1) Read and follow the steps as outlined in http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3027858
    2) Reboot after everything is done
    3) (optionally) Donate
    4) Enjoy

PSA: ALL of my patches and kernels are opt donationware and not supported. Support requests will be billed accordingly.
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/warthogkernel

Experimental warthog kernels for webOS devices. Patches such as Muffle System Logging, Max Blocker etc.

Donations go towards further experimentation.
    I installed those on my touchpad today & was so amazed at how fast it got! Thanx for this post!
    These patches are a beautiful thing! Is there any chance that they will improve battery life?
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesboss2 View Post
    These patches are a beautiful thing! Is there any chance that they will improve battery life?
    They do. I installed them on my Pre and Pixi and battery life has definitely increased. I don't know if it increases the life of the TP battery. I just haven't had my TP long enough to get a feel of the normal battery drain. But if it helps my old phones, I am sure it'll help the battery in the TP.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesboss2 View Post
    Absolutely. Every superfluous log message is being written to a file in the flash memory.

Not only does each of these superfluous log messages waste battery power, they also slightly reduces the write lifespan of the flash memory in the TouchPad.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    when i try and add
    Remove Dropped Packet Logging
    to my veer it gives me this error
    error installing: see IPKG Log
    in log it says
    unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps/bin/sh/media etc etc.
    any suggestions
    Quote Originally Posted by riw View Post
    when i try and add
    Remove Dropped Packet Logging
    to my veer it gives me this error
    error installing: see IPKG Log
    in log it says
    unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps/bin/sh/media etc etc.
    any suggestions
    You ought to post that in the Patch forum with the whole error log.
    tried connecting my TouchPad to my laptop - followed all instuctions - have the latest Java, etc. Getting "no devices detected" message. Any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    tried connecting my TouchPad to my laptop - followed all instuctions - have the latest Java, etc. Getting "no devices detected" message. Any suggestions?
    you have to turn on dev mode - type in upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart into the just type window
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    apollo_sg likes this.
    dev mode is on - typed the code into the TouchPad "just type" connected to the laptop via USB. Downloaded the.jar file just before connecting - still getting same error message "no devices detected"
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Read this thread Thursday night, and ran out to best buy Friday morning and bought a touchpad. I'd played with in the store before, and I'd been concerned with its sluggishness. Loaded up preware and patched it, but it still was a whole bag of suck. Way reminded me of my old pre, and not in a good way. Every app launch met with the glowing logo, often for several seconds. The Facebook app I'd read so much good about, wouldn't open a link from within a post. Some serious usability issues. I so wanted to like the touchpad, and was prepared to deal with the limited app catalog, but if the few apps there are aren't going to work well, I cant deal with that. So after about 4 hours I took it back.

The situation reminded of the pre situation, problems with promised updates, that might not show, and might not adequately address them in a timely fashion. The real deal killer for me was the Facebook app inability to open a link for me. Because I figure, even if HP fixes everything on their end, problems like that with basic apps will remain.

Physically I thin way too much has been made about its supposed inadequacies. It felt nice in the hand especially in the case, I'd call it more solid than heavy.

I do think getting rid of gestures in favor of more reliance on back buttons and menus is a mistake.

I'm hoping these issues are addressed and by version 2 (or the smaller table's introduction) I can buy without reservations. It did break my heart a little.

I wanted to post this in this thread to maybe help someone else keep their expectations in check.

Still hoping....
    I can understand your impression with 4 hours of using the TP. Mine wasn't all that great despite the fact that I want webOS to succeed and prove wrong all that I've been reading all over the net. To be fair, it should run fairly well right out of the box, but I think the syncing plays a major role in the consistency and stability the OS. The Photo & Video app, for example slowed down my Touchpad in the most unpleasant way. I removed my photobucket account which has thousands of pictures and wow did my TP stabilize. But I wanted those pictures available on my TP so, I added the account again left it on all night long and within a few days, my experience with the TP better compared to the first few hours or even day of use. THe TP really does settle down once all of the syncing is done. It is not perfect and there are a few hiccups every now and then, but for the most part it is very pleasant to use now. I can't wait for the updates!!
    Quote Originally Posted by danwc View Post
    Read this thread Thursday night, and ran out to best buy Friday morning and bought a touchpad. I'd played with in the store before, and I'd been concerned with its sluggishness. Loaded up preware and patched it, but it still was a whole bag of suck. Way reminded me of my old pre, and not in a good way. Every app launch met with the glowing logo, often for several seconds. The Facebook app I'd read so much good about, wouldn't open a link from within a post. Some serious usability issues. I so wanted to like the touchpad, and was prepared to deal with the limited app catalog, but if the few apps there are aren't going to work well, I cant deal with that. So after about 4 hours I took it back.

The situation reminded of the pre situation, problems with promised updates, that might not show, and might not adequately address them in a timely fashion. The real deal killer for me was the Facebook app inability to open a link for me. Because I figure, even if HP fixes everything on their end, problems like that with basic apps will remain.

Physically I thin way too much has been made about its supposed inadequacies. It felt nice in the hand especially in the case, I'd call it more solid than heavy.

I do think getting rid of gestures in favor of more reliance on back buttons and menus is a mistake.

I'm hoping these issues are addressed and by version 2 (or the smaller table's introduction) I can buy without reservations. It did break my heart a little.

I wanted to post this in this thread to maybe help someone else keep their expectations in check.

Still hoping....
    Ummm no offense, but why would you use a facebook app when you can just use facebook? As for apps taking time to load, well yeah, and every other device out there takes time to load as well including ipad2. There is no such thing as instant load unless it is already loaded into memory. If you want that experience, then keep your apps loaded as a card. Walla, no load times! In all fairness though, there is some sluggishness. A few quick patches alleviates that fairly well though. Flash will always lag no matter what platform. It lags on my PC sometimes. Lets hope the full GPU acceleration of the OS will help with responsiveness. When I first bought the Touchpad and was syncing my profile, i was concerned about lag as well, until I noticed it was downloading like a ton of my Palm Pre apps. Lol. synergy is so awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by codecrumb View Post
    No, it's not possible without breaking the patch as it's a static file. I just grepped the patch and it shows the following for ebay.com sites including rover.ebay.com

+127.0.0.1 adn.ebay.com
    +127.0.0.1 banners.ebay.com
    +127.0.0.1 metrics.shopthebay.com
    +127.0.0.1 rover.ebay.com
    +127.0.0.1 signin-ebay-com-ws-ebayisapi-dll-signin-webscr.ocom.pl

What is the purpose of rover.ebay.com?
    When eBay sends you an email message, the 'Respond Now' link goes to rover.ebay.com. So if it's blocked you can't respond to any emails from eBay.

-Jeremy
    Quote Originally Posted by danwc View Post
    It's been said over and over again: The TouchPad is always slow for the first day or two. It does all of it's syncing in the background, and downloading all of your emails, calendar events, contacts, etc can take time and the TouchPad tries to throttle it so it doesn't slow you down too much (Which is why it takes so long) but if you open multiple apps, plus have the sync running in the background it's obviously going to feel a little sluggish at times. Plus it is a .0 release for the OS. There is an OTA update coming in the next couple days that are fixing many of the performance issues. You could have at least waited for that before making up your mind. You generally get 30 days to return it, right?

I think anyone that returns a device in 4 hours never really had any intention of giving it a shot. You should have at least posted a message on the forums asking for help before just returning it, unless you just never expected to keep it to begin with.

-Jeremy
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    well some people wont easily forget the whole palm saga. i also found it hard to keep mine and its boderline everyday if i do. still have it but every bit of strange behavior is another nail in the coffin. even the proposed software update by months end might not be enough. you see the problem is some of us still bear grudge from the palm pre days. promises made and broken just edged into our mind. yea preware and patches can make a difference but why should we have to? why cant webos ever deliver as it promises? why am i always left with that feeling of ' just not quite there yet'! thats why i can understand TP being returned in 4 hours as we expect more and this seems at this minute to be a repeat of the whole webos saga from the old days
    Quote Originally Posted by shingers5 View Post
    well some people wont easily forget the whole palm saga. i also found it hard to keep mine and its boderline everyday if i do. still have it but every bit of strange behavior is another nail in the coffin. even the proposed software update by months end might not be enough. you see the problem is some of us still bear grudge from the palm pre days. promises made and broken just edged into our mind. yea preware and patches can make a difference but why should we have to? why cant webos ever deliver as it promises? why am i always left with that feeling of ' just not quite there yet'! thats why i can understand TP being returned in 4 hours as we expect more and this seems at this minute to be a repeat of the whole webos saga from the old days
    And some of us still have our original Palm Pre on Sprint and it still runs great. I'm not sure what promises you're referring to, but most people are mostly unhappy with the lack of new hardware on Sprint. It's unfortunate that people blame Palm and HP for this. They have no control over which carriers adopt their phones. Do you really think Palm or HP have stopped Sprint from getting the Pre 2 or Pre 3? That's logical nonsense.

Maybe you're talking about WebOS 2.x not coming to the original Pre/Pre+/Pixi/Pixi+ devices. I'm happy with 1.4.5 on my Sprint Pre but sure I wish I could get 2.x on it, and I could if I really wanted to. The great thing about HP/Palm is that they *let* us do things like FrakenPre's and MetaDoctors to get around stupid carriers like Sprint. Given the choice between WebOS 2.x on Sprint or a Pre 3 on Sprint, I'd take the Pre 3 any day. In fact, I've already ordered a Verizon Pre 2 (off contract) and I will be upgrading to the Pre 3 as soon as it's out and ditching my line on Sprint.

What other complaints do you have about the TouchPad?

-Jeremy
    I will agree, the TP gets snappier after a few days. I've had mine a week, and although I do have a short list of big complaints, speed or "lag" isn't one of them. Use kt side by side with an iPad... Yes, not as fast, but it's a couple of seconds. If your life can't handle that, maybe it's time for a vacation :-)
    Rod, I don't know if you feel like you can tell us due to your relationship with HP, but I would love to know your opinion as to why the UI stutters across the UI at times (when the frame rate obviously drops below at least 25-30fps), and why the device freezes at times when multitasking more heavily. I haven't tried the patches described in this thread yet but I would think that the hardware is up to the task.
    Do you think that HP can get this fixed in WebOS or it is something deep inside the OS that just can't be fixed without 2ghz quad core processors and 4GB ram?
    Last edited by millertime; 07/18/2011 at 12:43 AM. Reason: typo
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime View Post
    Rod, I don't know if you feel like you can tell us due to your relationship with HP, but I would love to know your opinion as to why the UI stutters across the UI at times (when the frame rate obviously drops below at least 25-30fps), and why the device freezes at times when multitasking more heavily. I haven't tried the patches described in this thread yet but I would think that the hardware is up to the task.
    Do you think that HP can get this fixed in WebOS or it is something deep inside the OS that just can be fixed without 2ghz quad core processors and 4GB ram?
    If you look at the messages in /var/log/messages and the palm bus service transactions seen by ls-monitor, you'll quickly make a correlation between such pauses and background service activity, usually associated with synergy or syncing activities.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast