Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree125Likes
    Very nice patch. Any chance you could release a version that is a compromise, ie, 12px tap radius? Thanks.
    Would you consider making this a tweaks app so people could just set the radius themselves rather than have multiple versions of the same patch clutter up the feeds? That would be easier to maintain and easier for users. And it appeals to my OCD to have clean feeds
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    Not possible, since it edits luna.conf which is not Tweaks compatible.

Now if you want to help design the next generation of patch systems... Feel free to drop by the webos-internals channel
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/warthogkernel

Experimental warthog kernels for webOS devices. Patches such as Muffle System Logging, Max Blocker etc.

Donations go towards further experimentation.
    Does the EOM Overlord Monitoring App just prevent the processes that send log files to Palm from running? What about the actual logging processes? Seems to me these processes would be the main culprits in dragging performance down.

Does the EOM patch stop the actual logging processes as well? If not, is there a patch that does?
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I did this on my Sprint Pre- with 2.1 a couple of days ago and the difference is uncanny. The phone is SO much more usable with everything from the camera to email. It's frankly almost amazing.

I did try removing the muffle system logging patch after a camera issue (described here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...save-pics.html), and haven't noticed any speed decrease after removing this patch.

I'm only upset that I just learned about this.
    Quote Originally Posted by teagueghost View Post
    Does the EOM Overlord Monitoring App just prevent the processes that send log files to Palm from running? What about the actual logging processes? Seems to me these processes would be the main culprits in dragging performance down.

Does the EOM patch stop the actual logging processes as well? If not, is there a patch that does?
    Earlier in the thread this is how codecrumb described it's workings:

Quote Originally Posted by codecrumb View Post
    EOM works by making the programs that upload the logs to Palm non-executable. Since the programs never start up, no logs get transmitted.
    The actual logging processes are still there, and if you look back at the original post of this thread, two of the patches mentioned turn off logging.

-Jeremy
    Muffle turns logging down to "err" level or worse. I guess I could make an extreme version where essentially zero is being logged.

Experimental warthog kernels for webOS devices. Patches such as Muffle System Logging, Max Blocker etc.

Muffle turns logging down to "err" level or worse. I guess I could make an extreme version where essentially zero is being logged.
    I think turning the levels down the 'err' is probably sufficient. The logs probably don't get bogged down much with error messages right?
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I just got a Touchpad 16GB to give it a run on what I could possibly do when the 3G/4G comes out. Where do I get all this Snappy stuff you guys are talking? Can I reset to original build in order to return it to store in 14 days?
    First off, I'll say it again. I love these patches on my TP. It's like playing with another device. I have had one problem, however.

I think The MaxBlocker app broke southparkstudios, cbs.com, adultswim and other streaming video websites for me. I removed it using the Preware app and the problems remained. When I ran EPR (should I run this before each OTA as well?) all patches deleted and then I installed everything except Maxblocker and now everything seems fine. Is there an AdBlocker I can use instead or is there a way to change MaxBlocker so it doesn't prevent access to these streaming TV shows?

Thanks!

- sent from my now blazing fast Touchpad :-)
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    I can't believe I'm the only one having issues with these patches! I have installed them twice and I'm not sure which patch is creating the problems.

I would get a continuous loading circle when loading the app catalog.

I could not save pictures from the web to my photos

Has anyone else experienced any of these problem?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikea4 View Post
    I can't believe I'm the only one having issues with these patches! I have installed them twice and I'm not sure which patch is creating the problems.

I would get a continuous loading circle when loading the app catalog.

I could not save pictures from the web to my photos

Has anyone else experienced any of these problem?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Ok, I take it all back. I reinstalled all the patches and now I have no issues. Perhaps 3rd times the charm!
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonc1213 View Post
    First off, I'll say it again. I love these patches on my TP. It's like playing with another device. I have had one problem, however.

I think The MaxBlocker app broke southparkstudios, cbs.com, adultswim and other streaming video websites for me. I removed it using the Preware app and the problems remained. When I ran EPR (should I run this before each OTA as well?) all patches deleted and then I installed everything except Maxblocker and now everything seems fine. Is there an AdBlocker I can use instead or is there a way to change MaxBlocker so it doesn't prevent access to these streaming TV shows?

Thanks!

- sent from my now blazing fast Touchpad :-)
    Max Blocker works by blocking different sites. I collate the patch by merging multiple files. And since it blocks over 34,000 hosts at this point, I can't manually check every single one.

What I need you to do is to clearly list the URLs and sites you were trying to visit in list form. Also, try reinstalling as that works for some people. You definitely need to reboot instead of doing a Luna restart for many of these patches to actually come into effect.

Something else that can be added to this post (if you wanna squeeze every possible ounce of speed) is setting the TP to stay at a constant 1.2ghz using govnah and not scaling.
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    Something else that can be added to this post (if you wanna squeeze every possible ounce of speed) is setting the TP to stay at a constant 1.2ghz using govnah and not scaling.
    Keep in mind the TouchPad CPU scales up to 1.2 Ghz automatically when the speed is needed, and then scales back automatically to save battery life and reduce heat output when you're not using it (The same way laptops have been doing it for years and now even big servers use the concept to save data center power). I don't think keeping at pegged at 1.2 Ghz will make any measurement difference in speed in most cases since it will jump to 1.2 Ghz the instant it's needed, especially given the drawbacks. There's no point in having the CPU running at 1.2 Ghz when it's sitting on the couch next to you with the screen turned off and the CPU idle. It's basically just sucking down battery power just to twiddle it's little CPU thumbs very very quickly.

Not saying it won't make it a little faster, since you might save a few nanoseconds of waiting for the CPU to 'scale up' on it's own, I just want to make sure a novice user doesn't read that recommendation and then go changing Govnah settings just in case it might make his tablet faster.

-Jeremy
    Max Blocker works by blocking different sites. I collate the patch by merging multiple files. And since it blocks over 34,000 hosts at this point, I can't manually check every single one.

What I need you to do is to clearly list the URLs and sites you were trying to visit in list form. Also, try reinstalling as that works for some people. You definitely need to reboot instead of doing a Luna restart for many of these patches to actually come into effect.
    I've found that I can't respond to ebay messages since installing this patch. The 'rover.ebay.com' just loads a blank window now. Works fine on all my PCs. I haven't had time yet to go and uninstall the patch and make 100% sure the patch is the culprit, but seeing the discussion I thought I'd toss the possibility out there.

Is it possible to edit the lists of blocked hosts somehow through Internalz or something?

-Jeremy
    Quote Originally Posted by Siah1214 View Post
    It's all in the logging. Stupid stupid part of webOS! The one part I hate. Everytime you disable it your device speeds up ridiculous amounts.

My pixi is useless until you disable logging.
    That's is Linux roots showing. Linux is a colaborative OS, which makes it more important to "know what's been going on", even long term. Linux logs a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by irwinr12 View Post
    I've found that I can't respond to ebay messages since installing this patch. The 'rover.ebay.com' just loads a blank window now. Works fine on all my PCs. I haven't had time yet to go and uninstall the patch and make 100% sure the patch is the culprit, but seeing the discussion I thought I'd toss the possibility out there.

Is it possible to edit the lists of blocked hosts somehow through Internalz or something?

-Jeremy
    No, it's not possible without breaking the patch as it's a static file. I just grepped the patch and it shows the following for ebay.com sites including rover.ebay.com

+127.0.0.1 adn.ebay.com
    +127.0.0.1 banners.ebay.com
    +127.0.0.1 metrics.shopthebay.com
    +127.0.0.1 rover.ebay.com
    +127.0.0.1 signin-ebay-com-ws-ebayisapi-dll-signin-webscr.ocom.pl

What is the purpose of rover.ebay.com?

UPDATE: Looks like rover is used for affiliate tracking. Sorry but this is unlikely to come out unless there's a majority request for it.

Let's Talk about New tracking System of EBAy.

Alternatively, you could try ad-blocker but that has not been maintained/updated in quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Gianny View Post
    I just got a Touchpad 16GB to give it a run on what I could possibly do when the 3G/4G comes out. Where do I get all this Snappy stuff you guys are talking? Can I reset to original build in order to return it to store in 14 days?
    Get via Preware.

Yes, you can use webOS Doctor to reload your TP back to factory defaults.
    Just wondering, what is the difference between setting logging to minimal with ##LOGS# and applying Muffle System Logging? This was asked earlier, but I didn't see an answer.

And what about Remove Dropped Packet Logging? Is this logging not blocked by using ##LOGS# or Muffle System Logging?
    any idea on which of these patches could make my pre randomly restart? Its happening to 2 pres, both of which I put the patches on yesterday
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast