Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree125Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by codecrumb View Post
    As the creator of the EOM app as well as the logging patches, sure, donations definitely help in upping my incentive to update the apps/patches.

To update EOM, you can use git to update things over at build - Build scripts for the Preware feeds
    Well I just clicked the 'Donate' link in the Tweaks app and sent something your way.

I went to the link you provided but it looks like I'll need to install git and set some stuff up to change the description. I'm afraid setting up git and a build environment to update the description of an app in Preware just isnt' worth my time. Although it should be a simple matter for someone who already has this set up right? It would be awesome if someone took the time to glance over some of the other homebrew app/patch descriptions and added a few more details about what the app/patch does and why one might want to install it.

-Jeremy
    I thought that installing the patches would do this?

What's included in these log files? If it just contains basis stats about usage that might help them improve future software/hardware offerings then I'm OK with it.

Doesn't this just change the text from "Just type" to "Make it so", or does it do something more than that?
    Well, that's important. =)

I thought this only had any effect on certain experimental kernels. What does it do on the stock HP/Palm kernel?
    This allows you to override the CFQ scheduler to allow for using noop/deadline on all kernels. By default, Palm forces the schedule to be CFQ regardless of what you select.

What exactly does this do, just reduce the touch radius?
    Yes.

What happened to the regular 'Ad Blocker' patch? Has it been replaced completely by Max Blocker?
    I don't maintain Ad Blocker, plus Max Blocker blocks a lot more hosts (right now, it blocks about 30,000 different bad hosts). I am also looking for someone else to take over maintenance of this patch (must know unix, git and patch)
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/warthogkernel

Experimental warthog kernels for webOS devices. Patches such as Muffle System Logging, Max Blocker etc.

Donations go towards further experimentation.
    Quote Originally Posted by irwinr12 View Post
    Well I just clicked the 'Donate' link in the Tweaks app and sent something your way.

I went to the link you provided but it looks like I'll need to install git and set some stuff up to change the description. I'm afraid setting up git and a build environment to update the description of an app in Preware just isnt' worth my time. Although it should be a simple matter for someone who already has this set up right? It would be awesome if someone took the time to glance over some of the other homebrew app/patch descriptions and added a few more details about what the app/patch does and why one might want to install it.

-Jeremy

Tweaks is maintained by someone else, not I.

Experimental warthog kernels for webOS devices. Patches such as Muffle System Logging, Max Blocker etc.

Tweaks is maintained by someone else, not I.
    The donation paypal address was donations@webos-internals.org

I figured that was the place to send it.

This allows you to override the CFQ scheduler to allow for using noop/deadline on all kernels. By default, Palm forces the schedule to be CFQ regardless of what you select.
    So simply installing the patch alone has no effect then? Would I be correct in assuming that one would have to also install Govnah and/or an alternate kernel to see any benefit from this patch? Since AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $Govnah$ $is$ $the$ $only$ $way$ $to$ '$select$' $any$ $of$ $these$ $parameters$.

-Jeremy
    The donation paypal address was donations@webos-internals.org

I figured that was the place to send it.

So simply installing the patch alone has no effect then? Would I be correct in assuming that one would have to also install Govnah and/or an alternate kernel to see any benefit from this patch? Since AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $Govnah$ $is$ $the$ $only$ $way$ $to$ '$select$' $any$ $of$ $these$ $parameters$.

-Jeremy
    Donating to donations@webos-internals.org benefits the entire team. I do not get notification when that happens. Donating to the button in my sig goes directly to me. That definitely gets my attention. So it really depends on what your end goal is.

Yes, you would need Govnah in order to change the parameters. However, you do not install a custom kernel in order to be able to make changes. The stock kernel already permits you to choose between cfq,noop and deadline.

Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I think I will wait also until the first update. By the way, my device is speeding up after several days of use. The first 48 hrs was pretty bad. Maybe some updated apps are working better? Less memory leak? And I haven't crashed in a few days. App store seems faster after tonights update. Can't wait until webos update comes out!
    The way we normally do this is have a wiki page that the HomePage link for the patch points to. Then the community can add documentation to that wiki page as needed.

In general, the authors of the patch may not be the best people to document it, as they are more likely to use technical terms rather than layman's terms. We've found that using wiki pages allows for both experts and laymen to contribute to the documentation.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The way we normally do this is have a wiki page that the HomePage link for the patch points to. Then the community can add documentation to that wiki page as needed.

In general, the authors of the patch may not be the best people to document it, as they are more likely to use technical terms rather than layman's terms. We've found that using wiki pages allows for both experts and laymen to contribute to the documentation.

-- Rod
    I think thats a fine way of doing it, but many of the patches are missing these links in Preware.

-Jeremy
    I think thats a fine way of doing it, but many of the patches are missing these links in Preware.

-Jeremy
    That must be fixed by the patch author. Having patches without doco links is not good.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Jeremy, thanks for the donation! As I said, that definitely got my attention. =)

In between my postings here, I've updated the Max Blocker patch a bunch of times. And once I get this last revision sent off to the patch autobuilder, it'll be blocking over 34,000 hosts once applied. This should help cut down on unnecessary traffic as well as unwelcome tracking.

Also, I've gone ahead and cut/pasted the updated description for EOM into a newer build.
    That should show up soon in the feeds too.

I do not widely advertise EOM since I would like to stay on Palm's good side but it is important for everyone to decide what they want before installing this. That said, I applaud Palm for the freedom that we are able to do this. It would be impossible to do this on TheOtherTablet(tm) without jailbreaking.

I do not widely advertise EOM since I would like to stay on Palm's good side but it is important for everyone to decide what they want before installing this. That said, I applaud Palm for the freedom that we are able to do this. It would be impossible to do this on TheOtherTablet(tm) without jailbreaking.
    Note that I have previously discussed this with Palm, and they are actually happy not to receive logs from homebrewers, cause people running stuff like heavily overclocked kernels can cause spurious results which just waste their time when they are looking for trends of real errors.

For that reason, all our custom kernels automatically turn off logging as part of the installation process.

So Palm explicitly has no issue with this EOM patch.

-- Rod
    I just added those myself .. And zippy is a great word to describe it! No issues so far, and things are an awful lot faster overall!
    mcdunnough and navinag like this.
    What if we don't have Twitter? I follow the WebOS Internals Wiki RSS but it just tells me what pages on the Wiki site are changed. It would be awesome if you guys had an RSS feed us anti-twitter folks could use to keep in touch with what's going on.

-Jeremy
    You can use Twitter - webosinternals in your browser for ad-hoc access.
    No such thing such as a GT4. I think you meant GT3. But if you are going to pick GT3, my personal preference is for the GT3 RS 4.0 =)

Please feel free to donate to my GT3 fund too, LOL.

Sorry, my bad I meant gt2 rs
    So....

I was feeling a bit more motivated tonight and made a quick video of the before and after patches. I apologize in advance for the horrid video editing but this was done in a hurry and I do not have very good video-editing software.

Make sure to watch this in fullscreen mode.

http://bit.ly/nsbd8F
    Last edited by codecrumb; 07/14/2011 at 03:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ksom View Post
    It looks like HP should make some these patches default behavior. Normal end users would not look for dropped packets or system log. They add a debug mode switch, so if someone experiencing odd behavior, they can turn them on and provide HP the information. But by default, no one is going to look at them.
    Yeah, I don't understand why this isn't the default behavior for webOS. It's easier to just allow a toggle in the ##LOGS# settings to turn it on when there are issues that tech support needs to review. Otherwise, keep that cr@p turned off so the experience is much more fluid.
    Hmmm, could this be the way apple is doing it? No wonder why the ipad seems fast.
    I can confirm that this set of patches works wonders on the TP and Pre- 2.1 (mine) and on a Pre- 1.4.5 (my husband's). Yowza!
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    OK, this is amazing. I've installed the patches listed here, and the Touchpad is like a new device. Wot the flip are HP playing at? My biggest complaint was responsiveness (I have no problem with the hardware) and these patches seem to have resolved the vast majority of those problems. Need to play a it more, but I'm stoked!

Is there a way to drop a few quid to the authors of these patches? Someone deserves some financial thanks ;-0

EDIT: Donated.
    Last edited by craigp; 07/14/2011 at 08:37 AM.
    Button's right there in my signature =) or you can donate to webos-internals as a whole.

But now it's time for bed. It's been a loooooong night.

Last edited by codecrumb; 07/14/2011 at 07:40 AM.

wickedcontra likes this.
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast