Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree125Likes
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fredwyn View Post
    dont forget jstop. It took my touchpad memory usage from 150 Mb down to 80 Mb.

if you set it to run in the background every 5 minutes it helps a lot, and although it still runs on the small screen you very rarely have to run it.
    What does this actually do? Are there settings that you tweak?
    Quote Originally Posted by poploser View Post
    What does this actually do? Are there settings that you tweak?
    JSTop just reports memory usage, how does it 'reduce' it?

Also, some of the patches mentioned, such as "Faster Card Animations" and "Increase Touch Sensitivity and Smoothness" don't do anything to speed up the device so i find it curious that they are being touted as such?

-Jeremy
    Quote Originally Posted by teagueghost View Post
    When things work correctly?!?! That doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy. I know that I will always be taking a risk if I install preware patches, but I am concerned about the potential of bricking my TP when I get an OTA update if I have incompatible preware patches installed. I know I always have the option to reset my device, but that is something I would hate to have to do.

This is a serious problem in the Android world that I was hoping to avoid in WebOS. I guess that's the price you pay for being able to tweak the system.
    Patches don't brick devices in webOS. Worst case, you have to doctor (which is not a brick, just a temporarily unbootable phone).

Follow the instructions that I post on the @webosinternals twitter feed in the 24 hours after an OTA update is available. Don't accept the update until you see those instrutions. Anyone who follows this advice never has any problems.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    e-gadget-guy likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by codecrumb View Post
    1) Start the Phone app on the TouchPad, dial ##LOGS#, clear logs and set to minimal logging.
    I thought that installing the patches would do this?

2) Fire up Preware, navigate to Available Other > All and install EOM Overlord Monitoring. This kills the processes that uploads log files to Palm. This also saves on unnecessary bandwidth being consumed without your knowledge.
    What's included in these log files? If it just contains basis stats about usage that might help them improve future software/hardware offerings then I'm OK with it.

* Make It So (of course, you need this patch)
    Doesn't this just change the text from "Just type" to "Make it so", or does it do something more than that?

* Unset CFQ IO Scheduler
    I thought this only had any effect on certain experimental kernels. What does it do on the stock HP/Palm kernel?

* Unthrottle Download Manager
    I ran speed tests before and after this patch and saw no difference on the TouchPad. I know the phone's were throttled but what exactly is throttled on the TouchPad?

* Increase Touch Sensitivity And Smoothness 10 (this is the 10px version)
    What exactly does this do, just reduce the touch radius?

* Max Blocker (ad and analytics cookies blocker)
    What happened to the regular 'Ad Blocker' patch? Has it been replaced completely by Max Blocker?

* Private Browsing
    I installed this patch but noticed that if I open a link in a new card, the new card doesn't have 'Private Browsing' enabled and thus the links end up in my history. I installed the Private Browser app from the catalog instead but I thought I'd mention it in case someone can improve the patch to make it take affect for new cards as well.

I'm a huge fan of WebOS Internals and have donated quite a bit. I love the patches but I do wish the descriptions included more detail about what the patches actually do, it makes me nervous to apply patches without knowing fully what they are changing or impacting.

-Jeremy
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Patches don't brick devices in webOS. Worst case, you have to doctor (which is not a brick, just a temporarily unbootable phone).

Follow the instructions that I post on the @webosinternals twitter feed in the 24 hours after an OTA update is available. Don't accept the update until you see those instrutions. Anyone who follows this advice never has any problems.

-- Rod
    What if we don't have Twitter? I follow the WebOS Internals Wiki RSS but it just tells me what pages on the Wiki site are changed. It would be awesome if you guys had an RSS feed us anti-twitter folks could use to keep in touch with what's going on.

-Jeremy
    Quote Originally Posted by irwinr12 View Post
    What if we don't have Twitter? I follow the WebOS Internals Wiki RSS but it just tells me what pages on the Wiki site are changed. It would be awesome if you guys had an RSS feed us anti-twitter folks could use to keep in touch with what's going on.

-Jeremy
    You can get an RSS feed from Twitter.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    What's included in these log files? If it just contains basis stats about usage that might help them improve future software/hardware offerings then I'm OK with it.
    Such things as every application you have ever installed, the exact timestamp of every time you open and close an application, the full list of wifi access points that have been in range of your device at any time (even if you didn't use them), etc.

-- Rod
    You can get an RSS feed from Twitter.

-- Rod
    Do I have to subscribe to Twitter? Or is there a free RSS feed? I wasn't able to find a free feed anywhere.
    Such things as every application you have ever installed, the exact timestamp of every time you open and close an application, the full list of wifi access points that have been in range of your device at any time (even if you didn't use them), etc.

-- Rod
    All of that gets uploaded to Palm's servers every day??
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    Really shouldnt compare a 1st gen device to a 2nd gen device.

All reviews of Touchpad vs. iPad 2 are inaccurate.
    Are you saying they are inaccurate because they are comparing a 2nd generation iPad (iPad 2) to a 1st generation touchpad? That makes no sense. In the current evolution of tablets they are the same generation. They are both the current flagship tablet for each company. It's perfectly acceptable to compare them.
    Quote Originally Posted by gutbomb View Post
    Are you saying they are inaccurate because they are comparing a 2nd generation iPad (iPad 2) to a 1st generation touchpad? That makes no sense. In the current evolution of tablets they are the same generation. They are both the current flagship tablet for each company. It's perfectly acceptable to compare them.
    Haha funny, it's like saying you can't compare a current lexus LFA to a current porsche GT4 because the LFA is a first gen for Lexus. I agree with you on this.
    All of that gets uploaded to Palm's servers every day??
    Correct. This has been publicly reported many times over the last 2 years.

-- Rod
    Correct. This has been publicly reported many times over the last 2 years.

-- Rod
    I'm sure it has. I recall seeing an article on precentral about how Palm uploads logs from the device, but the devil is in the details. The exact details of what was uploaded is not something I recall reading about, and I generally read every article that comes through my RSS feeds (Especially Precentral).

With that said, this sort of confirms my previous note about how some of the patches could really use more detailed descriptions and/or links to forums or pages that offer more details. As it is, for example, the "EOM Overload Monitoring" simply says:

"By default, palm uploads multiple logs to ps.palmws.com. This stops that process."

Honestly, that doesn't sound all that scary to me, and so I've never worried about it. Had it said instead:

"By default, palm uploads multiple logs to ps.palmws.com. This includes such things as every application you have ever installed, the exact timestamp of every time you open and close an application, the full list of wifi access points that have been in range of your device at any time (even if you didn't use them), etc. This stops that process"

I would have installed this patch as soon as it was introduced a year or so ago.

Again, I'm not saying this information was never disclosed, I'm just saying it's not something that the average WebOS user is probably aware of, and I think the patch description could specify these details so that even a first time Preware user can see the patch, see what it does and why they might want to install it.

Just a thought,

-Jeremy
    Raddu and wbee like this.
    I'm sure it has. I recall seeing an article on precentral about how Palm uploads logs from the device, but the devil is in the details. The exact details of what was uploaded is not something I recall reading about, and I generally read every article that comes through my RSS feeds (Especially Precentral).

With that said, this sort of confirms my previous note about how some of the patches could really use more detailed descriptions and/or links to forums or pages that offer more details. As it is, for example, the "EOM Overload Monitoring" simply says:

"By default, palm uploads multiple logs to ps.palmws.com. This stops that process."

Honestly, that doesn't sound all that scary to me, and so I've never worried about it. Had it said instead:

"By default, palm uploads multiple logs to ps.palmws.com. This includes such things as every application you have ever installed, the exact timestamp of every time you open and close an application, the full list of wifi access points that have been in range of your device at any time (even if you didn't use them), etc. This stops that process"

I would have installed this patch as soon as it was introduced a year or so ago.

Again, I'm not saying this information was never disclosed, I'm just saying it's not something that the average WebOS user is probably aware of, and I think the patch description could specify these details so that even a first time Preware user can see the patch, see what it does and why they might want to install it.

Just a thought,

-Jeremy
    Agreed. Please send in an update to the patch at webOS-Patches Web Portal

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    The speed increases from the reduced logging and application of patches is quite noticable. Thanks much.
    Jim Altman
    Palm III ->Treos 600->650->750->Pro->Pre Plus->Pre 2->Pre3+TouchPad
    Agreed. Please send in an update to the patch at webOS-Patches Web Portal

-- Rod
    It's not listed there. Maybe because it's technically not a patch, but rather a 'Linux Application'?

I'll gladly update the description but this is just one app/patch of many. I will update the others as well but I'd need either someone to tell me the details or take the time to dig it up and find it myself. Since I lack the time to do that, I generally try to support Homebrew through donations and App Catalog purchases of Homebrew apps such as Preware Documentation, Internalz Pro, etc. But if there's a fairly easy way for me to figure out what these patches do and update the descriptions online I can do that. Although it does seem like it would be more efficient to remove the middle man and have the description to be written by the author of the patch. Would donations help with this?

How would I find out exactly what log files this EOM Overload App/patch affects?

-Jeremy
    It's not listed there. Maybe because it's technically not a patch, but rather a 'Linux Application'?

I'll gladly update the description but this is just one app/patch of many. I will update the others as well but I'd need either someone to tell me the details or take the time to dig it up and find it myself. Since I lack the time to do that, I generally try to support Homebrew through donations and App Catalog purchases of Homebrew apps such as Preware Documentation, Internalz Pro, etc. But if there's a fairly easy way for me to figure out what these patches do and update the descriptions online I can do that. Although it does seem like it would be more efficient to remove the middle man and have the description to be written by the author of the patch. Would donations help with this?

How would I find out exactly what log files this EOM Overload App/patch affects?

-Jeremy
    As the creator of the EOM app as well as the logging patches, sure, donations definitely help in upping my incentive to update the apps/patches.

To update EOM, you can use git to update things over at build - Build scripts for the Preware feeds

EOM works by making the programs that upload the logs to Palm non-executable. Since the programs never start up, no logs get transmitted.
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/warthogkernel

Experimental warthog kernels for webOS devices. Patches such as Muffle System Logging, Max Blocker etc.

Donations go towards further experimentation.
    Quote Originally Posted by champiful View Post
    Haha funny, it's like saying you can't compare a current lexus LFA to a current porsche GT4 because the LFA is a first gen for Lexus. I agree with you on this.
    No such thing such as a GT4. I think you meant GT3. But if you are going to pick GT3, my personal preference is for the GT3 RS 4.0 =)

Please feel free to donate to my GT3 fund too, LOL.

Experimental warthog kernels for webOS devices. Patches such as Muffle System Logging, Max Blocker etc.

PrinceAlbert likes this.
    JSTop just reports memory usage, how does it 'reduce' it?

Also, some of the patches mentioned, such as "Faster Card Animations" and "Increase Touch Sensitivity and Smoothness" don't do anything to speed up the device so i find it curious that they are being touted as such?

-Jeremy
    Performance can be interpreted in two ways: actual and perceived. The two patches that you mentioned help with the latter.

-Jeremy
    Sorry, Twitter killed the RSS feeds.

See https://support.twitter.com/groups/3...-your-rss-feed

I am much more likely to tweet than post here since it's easier for me via a dedicated interface.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast