Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Like Tree125Likes
    Wow, that makes a HUGE difference.. Thanks!
    nice performance boost! This should fight the critics argument...hopefully this is rolled into the ota update
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonc1213 View Post
    Myself and my coworker both added the patches recommended in the original post. The difference is uncanny. I am very impressed with how my Touchpad is running! Everything is more responsive and zippier - online and offline. I was also impressed on how Flash content on the web (see: YouTube) seems to have been turbocharged now that logging is removed.

I will add codecrumb's recommendations after work today and see how that goes.

I have two questions for the experienced Precentral members. When the OTA is released later by HP this month or when certain large apps are updated, do we need to remove these patches/preware in order to update properly? Is a new version of QuickWebOS Install required each time the software is updated through OTA?

Thanks again for everything. I love my HP Touchpad and these updates were just what she needed.
    Hi Jason, This is really a good question.

1. For me what I will do is I will uninstall the patches before appying the update as one will never know what that OTA update will do (does pre-checks or possibly overwrite the patch).

2. Although I have never use WEBOS doctor yet, that is an alternate route in case there's issues.

I am pretty sure the WEBOS experts here can add to this thread to answer your question. I am a newbie to this forum and my other question to add to this is "When a patch is removed, does preware restore the original setting or configuration".
    what will happen when hp releases the update that promises faster app startups, smoothness with transitions, hardware accelerated graphics? Will this patch on top of that make it even faster?
    would any of these patches (e.g. "unthrottle download manager") potentially address some of the intermittent WiFi issues that some of us have encountered in this other thread?

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-touchpad.html

If they do, then within my first week of ever touching a WebOS doo-hicky, I'll be jumping right into PreWare, WebOS doctor, etc... (already started... just haven't figured the kinks yet)
    Downloaded these patches and am noticing considerable difference in speed.
    I'm giving this a try, but installing GNU Patch has been going for close to 10 minutes. Is this normal?
    Quote Originally Posted by TouchPad_Owner_Andrew View Post
    I'm giving this a try, but installing GNU Patch has been going for close to 10 minutes. Is this normal?
    Getting close to 30 minutes.
    Make It So (of course, you need this patch)
    You guys always gotta crawl out from under the rocks, don't you?

Fear the Force, baby! Fear the Force!

BTW: yeah, I installed it.
    I see pandas.
    Is there any chance someone could post a video with these patches installed?
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Wow, super impressive. Preware is lightning fast. Just wow. Amazed.
    Devices
    -Sprint Pre & FrankenPre 2
    -AT&T Pre3 4G
    Accessories
    -5 Touchstones for phones & Touchpad
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    How come this thread is not up on the front page?!
    NNJ
    Quote Originally Posted by horseybob View Post
    would any of these patches (e.g. "unthrottle download manager") potentially address some of the intermittent WiFi issues that some of us have encountered in this other thread?

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-touchpad.html

If they do, then within my first week of ever touching a WebOS doo-hicky, I'll be jumping right into PreWare, WebOS doctor, etc... (already started... just haven't figured the kinks yet)
    Just remember!!! the doctor is for restoring to factory settings. The later doctors don't wipe the USB storage area. Or for making a meta-doctor to get not yet available OS updates on the down low [totally legal though]!! Please Doctor responsibly!! LOL

Preware on the other hand is ESSENTIAL! There's a way to get it $paid$ in the app cat, but it's free through WebOSInternalz Quick Install. I think it's worth every penny of the $4.99 in the app cat.

With preware, [or WOSQI] it is possible to access the homebrew apps. [won't be in the app cat.] You need one of those to get patches and themes and homebrew apps.

Have fun.
    Last edited by e-gadget-guy; 07/23/2011 at 11:50 AM. Reason: spelling
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonc1213 View Post
    Myself and my coworker both added the patches recommended in the original post. The difference is uncanny. I am very impressed with how my Touchpad is running! Everything is more responsive and zippier - online and offline. I was also impressed on how Flash content on the web (see: YouTube) seems to have been turbocharged now that logging is removed.

I will add codecrumb's recommendations after work today and see how that goes.

I have two questions for the experienced Precentral members. When the OTA is released later by HP this month or when certain large apps are updated, do we need to remove these patches/preware in order to update properly? Is a new version of QuickWebOS Install required each time the software is updated through OTA?

Thanks again for everything. I love my HP Touchpad and these updates were just what she needed.
    I would like some feedback on this as well. Since we are essentially "patching" the OS, we could potentially run into issues when we get OTA updates. Should these patches be uninstalled before an OTA update is applied and then reinstalled?
    Quote Originally Posted by e-gadget-guy View Post
    Preware on the other hand is ESSENTIAL! There's a way to get it $paid$ in the app cat, but it's free through WebOSInternalz Quick Install. I think it's worth every penny of the $4.99 in the app cat.
    Preware is not available in the app catalog (and never will be, since it intentionally violates the app catalog submission criteria to allow homebrew applications to do all the powerful things they do). Preware is, and always will be, free.

The Preware Homebrew Documentation app is available in the app catalog. It has step-by-step detailed instructions on how to install Preware and other awesome homebrew applications, patches, themes and overclocking kernels. It costs only 99c, and proceeds from the sale of the application go directly into supporting the development of Preware and other homebrew applications that you are likely to use.

BTW, WebOS Internals does not contain a 'z' ... and WebOS Quick Install is developed by Jason Robitaille, who chooses to remain an independent homebrew developer and is not part of the WebOS Internals development group.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    LightPeople and torrguy like this.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by teagueghost View Post
    I would like some feedback on this as well. Since we are essentially "patching" the OS, we could potentially run into issues when we get OTA updates. Should these patches be uninstalled before an OTA update is applied and then reinstalled?
    I hope this will work on the Touchpad just the same as it did on the older webOS versions. When a patch does not work on a new version of webOS it "automagically" gets disabled, but stays as a placeholder in Preware. Then when a compatible update of the patch is available you can just update it like a normal app/patch update. So normally patches neednt' be uninstalled prior to updating (but maybe some special cases will exist).

That's correct isn't it Rod?
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    I hope this will work on the Touchpad just the same as it did on the older webOS versions. When a patch does not work on a new version of webOS it "automagically" gets disabled, but stays as a placeholder in Preware. Then when a compatible update of the patch is available you can just update it like a normal app/patch update. So normally patches neednt' be uninstalled prior to updating (but maybe some special cases will exist).

That's correct isn't it Rod?
    When things work correctly, yes.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    When things work correctly?!?! That doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy. I know that I will always be taking a risk if I install preware patches, but I am concerned about the potential of bricking my TP when I get an OTA update if I have incompatible preware patches installed. I know I always have the option to reset my device, but that is something I would hate to have to do.

This is a serious problem in the Android world that I was hoping to avoid in WebOS. I guess that's the price you pay for being able to tweak the system.
    I just installed the muffle and packet drop patches on 1.4.5 pre plus and I am amazed. The device is at least 50% faster and stays pretty fast even after it hasnt been restarted in a while.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    It looks like HP should make some these patches default behavior. Normal end users would not look for dropped packets or system log. They add a debug mode switch, so if someone experiencing odd behavior, they can turn them on and provide HP the information. But by default, no one is going to look at them.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast