Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree125Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    be careful. the unthrottled patch can slow your tp down. it drastically slowed down my download speeds.
    what are you using to substantiate this claim? Just curious?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    I just tried watching my first video (SNL clip) using Hulu and I have already applied the Hulu fix patch. The audio was fine but the video seem to be stuttering a lot not very smooth at all. I know this can't be normal after all the great things I have read about watching videos on the Touchpad. Is there another patch I am missing or am I doing something wrong?
    Great post thank you.
    One minor problem I have installed "Make it so" a couple of times now and it changes nothing. Am I missing something?
    Quote Originally Posted by ls1geezer View Post
    Great post thank you.
    One minor problem I have installed "Make it so" a couple of times now and it changes nothing. Am I missing something?
    This only makes a difference if you are set to en_us for language. I haven't gotten the translations for other languages, feel free to contribute.
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/warthogkernel

Experimental warthog kernels for webOS devices. Patches such as Muffle System Logging, Max Blocker etc.

Donations go towards further experimentation.
    I'm not sure this the right place but at least this is the url in the error message.
    Trying to uninstall the increase sensitivity patch.
    This is the error I get:

Begin
    Nothing Interesting.
    Failed
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.patches.misc-increase-touch-sensitivity-and-smoothness-10.prerm 2>&1
    3 out of 3 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file etc/palm/luna.conf.rej
    Looked for the log file with the red extension and couldn't locate it either.
    Thanks for the help in advance.
    excellent work!
    It's VERY fast- there is a video

overclocked...to 1.7
    I am really having a difficult time determining the speed/efficiency differences in my two 32gb TP’s.

On one of the TP’s (we will call it TP 1) I have preware and these installed:

Advanced Reset Options
    Default to Week View
    Faster Card Animations HYPER Version
    Increase Touch Sensitivity and Smoothness 10
    Muffle System Logging
    Quiet Powered Messages
    Remove Dropped Packet Logging
    Remove Tap Ripple
    Unset CFQ IO Scheduler
    Unthrottle Download Manager

I am also overclocked to 1.5 and have the hulu fix installed.

On the other one (TP 2), I only set logging to minimum. No preware is installed.

Webpage’s seem to take longer to load on TP 1. Going to the same site, at the same time, on the same 35gb download connection, pictures on the site, and the top blue loading bar always appear and complete on the TP 2 before the TP 1. When typing on the TP 1 it feels unresponsive at times. If I am typing a website, a few of the letters seem to be skipped, when I know I hit them.

The USA Today app always loads/completes on TP 2 before TP 1. This does not make sense to me.

Also, other apps do not open any faster on TP 1 and at times they take longer. Angry Birds gets to the “play” screen on TP 2 before TP 1.

I was testing out YouTube last night and while streaming on TP 1 the temperature reached 37 degrees. I am not sure what the temp of TP 2 is. Hopefully 37 is still a safe temperature.

I guess I would really like to see a difference since I am taking a small risk by installing these patches.

Just looking for input from others and to see if you see something that I should not have installed.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatting Hen View Post
    I am really having a difficult time determining the speed/efficiency differences in my two 32gb TP’s.

On one of the TP’s (we will call it TP 1) I have preware and these installed:

Advanced Reset Options
    Default to Week View
    Faster Card Animations HYPER Version
    Increase Touch Sensitivity and Smoothness 10
    Muffle System Logging
    Quiet Powered Messages
    Remove Dropped Packet Logging
    Remove Tap Ripple
    Unset CFQ IO Scheduler
    Unthrottle Download Manager

I am also overclocked to 1.5 and have the hulu fix installed.

On the other one (TP 2), I only set logging to minimum. No preware is installed.

Webpage’s seem to take longer to load on TP 1. Going to the same site, at the same time, on the same 35gb download connection, pictures on the site, and the top blue loading bar always appear and complete on the TP 2 before the TP 1. When typing on the TP 1 it feels unresponsive at times. If I am typing a website, a few of the letters seem to be skipped, when I know I hit them.

The USA Today app always loads/completes on TP 2 before TP 1. This does not make sense to me.

Also, other apps do not open any faster on TP 1 and at times they take longer. Angry Birds gets to the “play” screen on TP 2 before TP 1.

I was testing out YouTube last night and while streaming on TP 1 the temperature reached 37 degrees. I am not sure what the temp of TP 2 is. Hopefully 37 is still a safe temperature.

I guess I would really like to see a difference since I am taking a small risk by installing these patches.

Just looking for input from others and to see if you see something that I should not have installed.

Thanks.

This was my initial impression as well testing 2 TP's side by side (same tests you've done with 1 TP OC'd to 1.5 with various patches, and the other TP bone stock).

What I found was for first few websites, the stock TP actually loaded the pages slightly quicker. But after keep trying different website and apps, I found the OC'd TP to be slightly quicker (not by much but still there). So, my conclusion was that the loading speed depends on cache and other factors. To do a fair test, you should delete all history, cache, etc and start fresh.

As far as the non-responsiveness is concerned, I've noticed it on both TP's. Can't pin point the issue but I'm guessing when TP is doing something in the background, it does not recognize all the keystrokes. It's frustrating because I find myself hitting the same keys more than once quite often.
    Well, remove patches and test until you find the ones that are not having any performance improvement, and report that here. Make sure you remove, test, add, test, remove, test, add, test, to make sure you're getting a reliable result.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    I am the creator of this patch.

I made a "fat fingers" edition for those of you south of the canadian border that might have had their combos super sized one too many times.

:P

I will put it in the Preware feeds soon. I have very skinny muscley fingers from too many beaver fights and canoe trips so I cant tell the difference. Please let me know if its better.

Makes tap radius 15px, not 8.

Relevant:

this patch fails to install for me. I also don't see this version in the market.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rldev View Post
    this patch fails to install for me. I also don't see this version in the market.
    I couldn't get it to install either until I went through the drive-thu a few more times...
    Quote Originally Posted by amrcc View Post
    None of the patches change the APP logging levels (yet) - to change those you do the ##LOGS# and set to min (this step speeds stuff up as much as all the other ones combined)... The patches only tweak the system logging levels (so far)
    How do you check if logging levels are set to default or minimum?

When an app is updated, does it always reset the logging level?
    Group:

First post here, thanks for the community...such a wealth of information and help.

Well, I waited for something like 6 weeks, but finally got my TP through HP SMB. First thing I did was compare performance before and after installing the recommended preware patch called "unthrottle download manager". Here are some results I got using speedtest.net.

The test groups are as follows: (i) Stock, (ii) Preware Patch, (iii) Preware Patch+Overclocking (1.5GHz) and (iv) Overclocking (1.5GHz). The results include (i) Ping (ms), (ii) Download Speed (Mbps) and (iii) Upload Speed (Mbps).

Each group was tested 6 times, the averages are as follows:

Stock: 45.50, 13.76, 7.76
    Preware Patch: 41.83, 13.33, 7.09
    Preware Patch+ Overclock: 36, 12.80, 9.94
    Overclock: 36.67, 15.67, 11.83

Overall, I didn't see any improvement using the "unthrottle download manager" patch. Actually, this patch seems to slow down performance when you overclock. The best results were obtained just by overclocking the device and not bothering with the patch. This was a simple, straightforward test, you may or not find it useful.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    How much information do these patches provide about the pros and cons?

Probably many patches are a straight addition in functionality, or an extra that the WebOS developers would have done if they'd had the time and resources. But I'm sure that many others involve adjusting trade-offs that have some pros and cons, like speed vs. battery life, or sensitivity vs. reliability. The WebOS developers probably had a reason for designing things the way they did in the first place, and it probably involved choosing a compromise for the average user. If I'm going to override that with a patch because I think a different setting would be better for me, I'd like to know what the trade-offs are, the negatives as well as the positives.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SD-Tech View Post
    First post here...

Overall, I didn't see any improvement using the "unthrottle download manager" patch.
    And a good one. Thanks, very useful results.
    Quote Originally Posted by SD-Tech View Post
    The test groups are as follows: (i) Stock, (ii) Preware Patch, (iii) Preware Patch+Overclocking (1.5GHz) and (iv) Overclocking (1.5GHz). The results include (i) Ping (ms), (ii) Download Speed (Mbps) and (iii) Upload Speed (Mbps).

Each group was tested 6 times, the averages are as follows:

Stock: 45.50, 13.76, 7.76
    Preware Patch: 41.83, 13.33, 7.09
    Preware Patch+ Overclock: 36, 12.80, 9.94
    Overclock: 36.67, 15.67, 11.83

Overall, I didn't see any improvement using the "unthrottle download manager" patch. Actually, this patch seems to slow down performance when you overclock. The best results were obtained just by overclocking the device and not bothering with the patch. This was a simple, straightforward test, you may or not find it useful.
    Hmm.. I was curious to try.. Running the unthrottle patch + F4 1.728 SIO ondemand @ speedtest garnered me 51 6.12 0.65 on a single run (didn't try a second).

Removed the patch but left the OC and tried again after clearing the cache/

56 6.08 0.66
    Hit test again and got 57 6.28 0.66
    Hit new server and it auto-selected got 49 6.14 0.66

Cleared the cache and reinstalled the patch.

Got a "configuration load failed" error @ the site. Pressed try-again. Loaded this time.

49 6.10 0.65
    Hit new server

(I think all tests were @ at the same site)
    70 6.12 0.65

Independent variable (one anyway) is that all these tests were run while sitting on the touchstone.

Removed patch.

Only restarted luna, didn't do power offs.

Got the configuration load error again.

59 6.06 0.66
    New server pressed, begin test.
    48 5.96 0.65

Changed speed to 1.5 no configuration load error.
    59 6.05 0.66

Reinstalled patch, left speed at 1.5, cache cleared, no configuration load error.
    71 6.15 0.66
    New server pressed, still @ same server as before though.
    79 6.08 0.65

Removed the patch and the F4 phantom kernel.

65 6.82 0.66
    hit new server, this time it went to a different server
    66 6.59 0.64

Installed Uberkernel, set it for 1.5, ondemandtcl, deadline scheduler, cubic tcp (the f4 was set to westwood, another independent variable).

New server selected
    64 6.33 0.64
    New server selected
    41 6.12 0.63

reno tcp selected, and yet another new server
    62 6.12 0.64
    74 6.19 0.60

switched it back to cubic, and noop scheduler this time.

46 6.22 0.65

for the heck of it, tried bfq same server as last run

42 6.21 0.64
    42 6.08 0.65

cfq

41 6.01 0.64
    57 5.97 0.63

ondemand w/ bfq now

54 6.08 0.66
    65 6.36 0.65

ondemand w/ deadline

53 6.36 0.66
    52 6.25 0.65

Unthrottle patch reinstalled, undemandtcl w/ deadline

55 6.23 0.65

above w/ bfq

43 6.09 0.65

Conclusions: Patch seems not necessary w/ Uberkernel. Phantom while real fast seemed to generate configuration load errors that Uberkernel did not (not sure why). Statistical margins of error exist between servers and the simple fact of the matter is, my internet connection doesn't seem fast enough to stress the tablet.

Seems like the stock kernel was fastest at download.. but had higher ping..

Ran another 2 runs:
    45 6.20 0.66 deadline ondemandtcl 1.5 cubic
    42 6.19 0.65 (same as above, different server)

So probably that is the best setting for the current configuration.. no patch needed, and a faster kernel is not always faster.. note that the STOCK palm kernel at 1.2 had the fastest download speeds..

So it's tradeoffs..

I ended up staying with the uberkernel for now at 1.5, ondemandtcl, cubic and BFQ scheduling. The reason for BFQ is because I think it may have meant the system was slightly more responsive to keypresses (this is hard to measure) and hey, after I initially wrote this, I did a poweroff, and got a 39 6.5 0.66 so bfq doesn't suck at all.
    Last edited by Technarch; 10/08/2011 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Minor change to conclusion.
    can use this patch in pre 3?
    Fairly certain that "Unthrottle Download" does absolutely nothing on Touchpad, at least. The stock setting is 65535, and I've easily surpassed 10Mbit/sec with transfers on it.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are: