Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree125Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikea4 View Post
    You should be able to open the phone dial pad and type ##logs#, then connect button. System logs should appear. Don't connect to Skype.
    My new touchpad does not have a keypad on the Phone & VideoCalls page. Do you know how to get the number pad to show up? Do i have to install a bluetooth device?

Thanks
    Last edited by hippo; 08/27/2011 at 07:54 PM.
    You can set up a skype account to bring up a dialer..
    Quote Originally Posted by hippo View Post
    My new touchpad does not have a keypad on the Phone & VideoCalls page. Do you know how to get the number pad to show up? Do i have to install a bluetooth device?

Thanks
    for the ##LOGS# section you can either access a dialpad (by setting up skype or pairing a webos phone), OR, you can go into your settings tab, tap on device info. On the top left there is a device info tab. Tap that and hit custom application. In the box that pops up, type ##logs# and you'll be able to properly turn logging off. Thanks to Bevcraw for sharing this easy method.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikea4 View Post
    You should be able to open the phone dial pad and type ##logs#, then connect button. System logs should appear. Don't connect to Skype.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    for the ##LOGS# section you can either access a dialpad (by setting up skype or pairing a webos phone), OR, you can go into your settings tab, tap on device info. On the top left there is a device info tab. Tap that and hit custom application. In the box that pops up, type ##logs# and you'll be able to properly turn logging off. Thanks to Bevcraw for sharing this easy method.
    Thanks, that worked. I had an old skype account hadnt used for years. thanks!
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I just followed the guide and the post with the list of patches to install and wow! I'm very impressed and I have to say a big thank you to everyone who contributed.

If you are unsure about installing Preware on your brand new Touchpad, don't be. Do it!

I had a question about the logging though. After applying the patches and turning logging to minimal, the data being collected/sent is dramatically reduced. It may seem obvious but doesn't this also increase battery life(if only slightly) because there are less background tasks?
    Yes, it does.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jalaed18 View Post
    After reading this article The HP TouchPad homebrew community is already alive and well | ZDNet,
    I installed the Preware app on my HP TOUCHPAD and installed a couple of patches available from the Homebrew community..

1. Faster Card Animations Hyper Version
    2. Increase Tocuh Sensitivity and Smoothness
    3. Muffle System Logging
    4. Remove Dropped Packet Logging
    5. Unthrottle Download Manager

To my surprise, my HP TOUCHPAD is screaming fast now. I hope somebody can validate this other than me.

Thanks to Preware and the homebrew community!! More power to you guys!
    did these things including getting rid of the ripple and yes I feel the speed increase in at least 30%
    Got Touchpad yesterday and updated to 3.0.2. Installed Preware and recommended patches in 1st post, but now videos at Fox.com and PBS.org won't play. They were were working just before patching. Uninstalled some then all patches - still no go. Anyone got a suggestion - or should I visit the Doctor?
    Mytether: [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyt26 View Post
    Got Touchpad yesterday and updated to 3.0.2. Installed Preware and recommended patches in 1st post, but now videos at Fox.com and PBS.org won't play. They were were working just before patching. Uninstalled some then all patches - still no go. Anyone got a suggestion - or should I visit the Doctor?
    It's probably Max Blocker or Ad Blocker. They block ads which sometimes block videos too.

-Jeremy
    irwinr12: That is what I thought and Max Blocker was the 1st one I uninstalled. But, ever with all patches uninstalled, still no go on videos from those sites.
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyt26 View Post
    irwinr12: That is what I thought and Max Blocker was the 1st one I uninstalled. But, ever with all patches uninstalled, still no go on videos from those sites.
    Did you restart the device afterwards?
    Did both a Luna re-start and full shutdown. But just turned off Developer Mode and then did another full shutdown - and videos now work! Will put back in patches slowly. Thanks for the help!
    Thanks for the tips. My touchpad appears to be running much faster.
    Ugg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Been meaning to post this in here for a while, As I have been teachin peeps bout DevMode/HB - I have noticed that ##LOGS# needs to be re-done periodically (not just after an OS Update) - I'm thinkin that after you install an app from the AppCat - it changes the logging level for that app back to whatever the default was.

And as a summary:
    - Just so it is in here for the people who can't seem to find the phone app; BevCraw found there is yet another way to ##LOGS# - you can shortcut the device info method by picking "Custom Application" from the first pull down in there and typing ##LOGS# there.
    - For people who seem to be afraid to HB (why?) - You do not need to DevMode or HomeBrew to do this "tweak" - This one tweak will speed up your TP by a significant amount - "Don't be afraid...."

Sounds like we need a patch/script to periodically set loggin levels to min.... and maybe an App to create a "Collect Logs" Launcher shortcut...

--------------

Quote Originally Posted by amrcc View Post
    Do we have to re ##LOGS# after the 3.02 update? All my patches reinstalled fine but that was a manual step.
    Quote Originally Posted by amrcc View Post
    I have confirmed that after an update you DO have to ##LOGS# again to reset them back to minimal.

You can also get to theses options thru Device Info | Device Menu pull down | Diagnostics | Diagnostics Menu pull down | Collect Logs
    Same here ive notice the loggs revert back to default from time to time even with the patches install. I find it annoying to go back to set it to minimal, thought that suppose to be dealt with the patches.
    Quote Originally Posted by codecrumb View Post
    I'm glad people like the logging patches as they do make a significant difference. The following is what I would recommend to have installed/configured for webOS 3.x

1) Start the Phone app on the TouchPad, dial ##LOGS#, clear logs and set to minimal logging.

2) Fire up Preware, navigate to Available Other > All and install EOM Overlord Monitoring. This kills the processes that uploads log files to Palm. This also saves on unnecessary bandwidth being consumed without your knowledge.

3) Patches

* Make It So (of course, you need this patch)
    * Muffle System Logging
    * Remove Dropped Packet Logging
    * Unset CFQ IO Scheduler
    * Unthrottle Download Manager
    * Quiet powerd Messages
    * Faster Card Animations HYPER Version
    * Increase Touch Sensitivity And Smoothness 10 (this is the 10px version)

4) For extra points, also install the following patches

* Max Blocker (ad and analytics cookies blocker)
    * Private Browsing

5) Lastly, browse to OpenSearch Entries and add a secure search engine to use instead.
    Help, could not install this patch, tried twice error message kept coming up, all the others went along without a hitch Any suggestions
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nang View Post
    Same here ive notice the loggs revert back to default from time to time even with the patches install. I find it annoying to go back to set it to minimal, thought that suppose to be dealt with the patches.
    None of the patches change the APP logging levels (yet) - to change those you do the ##LOGS# and set to min (this step speeds stuff up as much as all the other ones combined)... The patches only tweak the system logging levels (so far)
    "screaming fast" is a bit of an exageration unless you nevef experienced an ipad or even a laptop. I did the same uogrades you did and yes its faster than stock but not THAT fast. Its certainly very usable. I really like it but it aint screaming.

Quote Originally Posted by jalaed18 View Post
    After reading this article The HP TouchPad homebrew community is already alive and well | ZDNet,
    I installed the Preware app on my HP TOUCHPAD and installed a couple of patches available from the Homebrew community..

1. Faster Card Animations Hyper Version
    2. Increase Tocuh Sensitivity and Smoothness
    3. Muffle System Logging
    4. Remove Dropped Packet Logging
    5. Unthrottle Download Manager

To my surprise, my HP TOUCHPAD is screaming fast now. I hope somebody can validate this other than me.

Thanks to Preware and the homebrew community!! More power to you guys!
    be careful. the unthrottled patch can slow your tp down. it drastically slowed down my download speeds.
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    be careful. the unthrottled patch can slow your tp down. it drastically slowed down my download speeds.
    Hi All,

I'm new here and just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has contributed to this forum. I have learned so much in the past week just reading and applying all the patches that were recommended to my new 32gb Touchpad.

I will have a few questions from time to time but I have one now regarding to what peterlemonjello said about the patch "Unthrottle Download Manger" making your download speeds slower? How's that possible to slow it down?

Thanks again for everyone's help!