Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
  1.    #1  
    with all these bugs we are finding there is not a doubt in mind they will not advertise until they send out an update. Even the most loyal fans find some of these bugs very annoying. Like myself
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Not so, I have seen a number of ads, some on USA, Syfy, even a Yankees game.
    Jim Altman
    Palm III ->Treos 600->650->750->Pro->Pre Plus->Pre 2->Pre3+TouchPad
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Advertising is relative like anything else. If I were HP, I would hold full advertising like stu5797 says until device stabilizes and is optimized. A brand new user lured by advertising would return the device in a heartbeat and not return. Which in return would upset the retailer.
    I love thread titles that sound like fact only to find opinion...
    Saw a bunch of advertisements on Fox primetime this week, so I'm pretty sure that's incorrect.
    Quote Originally Posted by ewl88 View Post
    Advertising is relative like anything else. If I were HP, I would hold full advertising like stu5797 says until device stabilizes and is optimized. A brand new user lured by advertising would return the device in a heartbeat and not return. Which in return would upset the retailer.
    Really? Based on what? Google search Touchpad problems, then google search Playbook, Xoom, and Transformer problems and let us now. Bug reports have been minute at best. Is the TPad perfect? No device is but the issues are a small fraction. (compare with OG Pre)

Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    LOL.... Yeah, seems like OP is coming from left field on this one. Ive seen tv commercials too.
    they are advertising right now. I saw one on network tv last night. Ad purchases happen a long time before they run. Thats part of why they had to go ahead and launch the device and then quickly do an OTA instead of waiting.
    big mistake to be running ads now. So many bugs and missing features, theres no way I could recommend the TouchPad as is, it's onky the promise of future improvements that makes it worthwhile even for evangelists. Anyone who just learned about the TP from commercial is going to be tremendously disappointed when they go about using it. And it pains me to admit that.

fix the bugs, get document editing, Kindle & movies and it's an excellent device. Before then any ad HP runs is doing more harm than good.
    HP has been advertising the Touchpad and the Veer during the Harry Potter marathon on ABC Family this weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by jakerome View Post

fix the bugs, get document editing, Kindle & movies and it's an excellent device. Before then any ad HP runs is doing more harm than good.
    this is only true if people run out and spend $600 immediately after watching a commercial for the first time. Even if its late on a Sunday evening when the stores are closdd.
    The device is on shelves now and they need to advertise it to move units. The TP most likely won't be "optimized" for another six months, they can't wait that long. There is a buzz around the TP right now and HP needs to capitilize on it. Like most earlier adopters let's hope they fall in love with the features that work and patiently wait for the optimization.

Sent from my tricorder using Tapatalk
    The fact that the Touchpad had not yet been featured in the Sunday ads (Best Buy, the office stores) tells me that HP is still holding back some. In contrast, the Toshiba Thrive was featured in the Sunday ads this morning.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    I know of one major retailer that will have the TPad in their ad circular within the next 2-3 weeks.

Until retailers have enough inventory, it wont make much sense to have an all-out blitz. Too bad this was a soft launch. Give it a little more time.
    bevcraw likes this.
    i dont know how store ads work... do companies like hp pay to take up the entire front page of their sunday inserts? i just thought that for the most part that the stores decide what the hot products or what the hot sales are and advertise accordingly to get people in the store... store like best buy i imagine they dont care what it is on the front page as long as it drives the customers in.

i would have thought the stores would have made the most of july 1st. definitely disappointed hp didnt go nuts in the advertising for july 1st launch.

was thinking... and thinking about other hp products... maybe this is just the way they launch. they have a ton of money and people hoping they would use it... but they are such a huge corporation with such a structure that this is what they do for advertising whether its a laptop or printer or touchpad or blade server.

love their servers and when we did our upgrades happy to continue using them and go with their g5s at the time. but i even notice on the enterprise end (where most there money is really)... they dont advertise like others... they kinda do it internally. eh.

Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    The fact that the Touchpad had not yet been featured in the Sunday ads (Best Buy, the office stores) tells me that HP is still holding back some. In contrast, the Toshiba Thrive was featured in the Sunday ads this morning.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    I have seen a lot of Veer and TouchPad ads on Comedy Central, ESPN, and during the Harry Potter marathon. This is a marathon and we're going to see an advertisement campaign going through the holidays. Hopefully, the TouchPad 2 can launch next Spring and then stay on a regular schedule.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    i dont know how store ads work... do companies like hp pay to take up the entire front page of their sunday inserts? .
    Yes HP has to pay for that.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    i dont know how store ads work... do companies like hp pay to take up the entire front page of their sunday inserts? i just thought that for the most part that the stores decide what the hot products or what the hot sales are and advertise accordingly to get people in the store... store like best buy i imagine they dont care what it is on the front page as long as it drives the customers in.

i would have thought the stores would have made the most of july 1st. definitely disappointed hp didnt go nuts in the advertising for july 1st launch.

It all depends on various factors. Sometimes the vendor/supplier doesn't pay anything additional if the retailer is using the product to draw in traffic. Sometimes the supplier will reduce the retailer's cost on those purchase orders. There are also times the supplier may pay the retailer a certain amount as part of a marketing agreement. It's a broad answer because there isn't one way it's always handled.

The main reason why the July 1st weekend didn't have much of a bang was because HP didn't get enough of the product out in time to be at all the stores by the 1st. There were many stores which didn't have the TPads on the shelf until 2-3 days later.

Many retailers still don't have any of HP's accessories yet. Some stores also sold out from the initial TPad shipments because they only received a few of them. Once HP gets inventory levels at a decent amount, we'll see more marketing. As I said up above, I know of one retailer which already has plans to include HP product in an ad circular.
    My TV watching is pretty limited, working nights, there's not a whole lot on when I wake up mid-afternoon or when I get home at 4-5AM so I've yet to see any TV ad. Driving past Staples the other a few weeks ago, every single window pane had huge HP TouchPad signs (except one). I think that's pretty good advertising, probably relatively cheap and every single person walking into that store is going to see it, unless they are blind and have a seeing-eye dog which in that case they should also have scented the posters with dog treats and then left some dog-food out beside the Touchpad display. Wonder if they are going to make a Braille version of the TP? Ok...I seriously need to get out of the house and drown myself in Stampede alcohol
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Ad embargo lifts on 7/17 (print) and OTA is 7/25.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast