Amazing that they made such a mistake at the end:
Scores order Playbook - Touchpad.
- Design: 3.3 vs 2.3 (Agreed)
- Controls & User interface: 3.3 vs 3.0 (Impossible, it should be at least a draw, in fact, it should be higher for both, specially for the Touchpad)
- Features: 3.7 vs 3.0 (this is absurd, the Playbook still doesn't have a damn email client! contacts, or any interesting app! The App Catalog in the HP Touchpad is pretty decent, as are the default apps! e.g. Facebook on the playbook is a joke compared to the Touchpad)!
- Web Browsing & Multimedia: 3.7 vs 3.0 (Agreed, the Playbook flash implementation is much better, not to mention it doesn't lag with 1080p, it has video out, it also stereo (like the Touchpad), and the screen is *much* better).
- Performance: 4.0 vs 3.0 (Agreed... but only on the native apps, third party apps are painfully slow on the Playbook)
- Value: 3.0 vs 4.0 (Agreed. Email alone...)
The final scores:
HP Touchpad: 3.05
How I think it should work:
Instead of assigning arbitrary numbers, we should define the scale, but not merely as x/10, but rather define 10. 10 shoudn't be an ideal, but a current products. So, for instance:
Design 10 = iPad 2
GUI 10 = HP Touchpad
Features = iPad 2 (I'm not including flash in this category, it belongs to web browsing).
Web Browsing & Multimedia 10 = Playbook
Perfomance 10 = iPad 2
Value 10 = Transformer
So, using this scale, I would rate them in the following way:
iPad 2: 10, 8.5 (iOS 4.x), 10, 8, 10, 9.
HP Touchpad: 6.5, 10, 8.5, 8.5, 7, 8.
Playbook: 9, 8, 5.0, 10, 9, 6.5
If the playbook were =<450 with an email client, contacts, and the full cores apps, it would be really, really good. As would be Touchpad with good perfomance, or better hardware.
This mixed with an algorithm would create a rather interesting system, as it would allow us to do stuff like this:
A new tablet (let us image Opal XD) earns the category of best design, so it's the new 10, then, by just defining the iPad 2 in terms of Opal, let us say, 9/10, then all the other scores can automatically adjusted =)