webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Cnet Playbook vs. Touchpad
Cnet Playbook vs. Touchpad
Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By Cantaffordit
  • 1 Post By southflguy
  • 2 Post By innocentbystander
  • 1 Post By dcbo89

Old 07/09/2011, 08:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
riw

YouTube - ‪BlackBerry Playbook Vs. HP TouchPad‬‏

Cnet really doesn't like the touchpad
riw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2011, 08:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

I stopped reading at "cnet"
Cantaffordit is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by HelloNNNewman, IGNTNUNLMTD, jpa916 and 1 others like this.
Old 07/09/2011, 08:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yep...
HP fiddles while Apple innovates | Nanotech - The Circuits Blog - CNET News
jahjahlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2011, 08:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

I actually played with a playbook for about an hour today and that thing is wicked fast and stable. At this point seems to be more stable than the touchpad. Of course how they could release it with no built in mail, calendar or contact apps is nuts. But seriously I was impressed with it otherwise.
southflguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by WhoAmI likes this.
Old 07/09/2011, 10:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by southflguy View Post
I actually played with a playbook for about an hour today and that thing is wicked fast and stable. At this point seems to be more stable than the touchpad. Of course how they could release it with no built in mail, calendar or contact apps is nuts. But seriously I was impressed with it otherwise.
QNX has to be stable considering what it was being used for. I dont think WebOS is a microkernel like QNX.
gabe2gg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2011, 10:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Because obviously a rear facing video camera is more important than an email app.
innocentbystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by speedtouch and IGNTNUNLMTD like this.
Old 07/09/2011, 10:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

CNET Hates HP, that's just the fact of the matter.
ExWebOSFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2011, 10:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

The kinetic card scrolling does make the interface look faster but in then its just monumentally annoying

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Palm Pre3 AT&T October 2011
dcbo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by StuntmanMark likes this.
Old 07/09/2011, 11:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Wow... the best loved features of webOS - multitasking, the card metaphor, and ease of navigation... only gets a THREE??? Unbelievable... And no mention of how QNX is a sad ripoff of webOS, which is mentioned by every other professional reviewer? (Just listen to Lisa from MobileTechReview of Playbook)

However, it is true... playbook is put together very well and is very snappy and has lots of other hardware features that TP is missing. Can't deny those.
laoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2011, 11:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

But he speaks the truth and it hurts. I agree with him on all points. HP laptops really do suck from a design perspective. TP design is also unfortunately, very uninspired. Just take a trip to Best Buy or Costco and see HP's lineup for yourself. Overly shiny, overly plasticky, overly chrome-y, overly thick, overly heavy, and overly boring.
laoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2011, 11:31 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laoh View Post
But he speaks the truth and it hurts. I agree with him on all points. HP laptops really do suck from a design perspective. TP design is also unfortunately, very uninspired. Just take a trip to Best Buy or Costco and see HP's lineup for yourself. Overly shiny, overly plasticky, overly chrome-y, overly thick, overly heavy, and overly boring.
Tell me what makes a Mac more attractive than the new HP Dv6/7, dm4s....The new metallic casing with the light around the touchpad...(The original named touchpad/mouse of laptops). The new designs are really sleek and I bought the older model before these new ones came out why? Because it looked sexy and lightweight/strong and metallic.
HP makes a few lower class laptops the G series specifically that are plasticy and not attractive but their laptops that are above 600 bucks are typically really sleek and they look nice.
ExWebOSFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2011, 11:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

oh god. People think hp laptops suck cause they go to bestbuy and come home with a $499 hp laptop and compare it to the $1500 apple laptop.

Hp makes many different laptops. Yes an hp low end laptop sucks... But they make mid and high end laptops also. I have an envy and it is without a doubt the best laptop I have ever had. It also had a $500 coupon when I got it. You cant say hp laptops suck. You can say one of them suck like the G series. But def not all.
bigwood212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2011, 02:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
etx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
oh god. People think hp laptops suck cause they go to bestbuy and come home with a $499 hp laptop and compare it to the $1500 apple laptop.

Hp makes many different laptops. Yes an hp low end laptop sucks... But they make mid and high end laptops also. I have an envy and it is without a doubt the best laptop I have ever had. It also had a $500 coupon when I got it. You cant say hp laptops suck. You can say one of them suck like the G series. But def not all.
i sold my HP mjni to get a touchpad, but I have to say I loved that little thing. And ive been a mac user my entire life.
etx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2011, 02:32 AM   #14 (permalink)

Playbook < HP TP1 < ipad 2
Dazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2011, 02:42 AM   #15 (permalink)

look again at the final score.

playbook 4.4
touchpad 4.5 winner.
hagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2011, 02:49 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagster View Post
look again at the final score.

playbook 4.4
touchpad 4.5 winner.
No idea how they really got that, though I swear the presenter did say the playbook won.
dcbo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2011, 02:58 AM   #17 (permalink)

My boss has a Playbook & I own a iPad & Touchpad... I absolutely do not like the smaller screen and inch thick style of the Playbook.

Comparing my Touchpad to my iPad, I like the speed of my Touchpad, the Synergy of WebOS, the Notification system in the Touchpad, the ability to use Flash, the Phone + Messaging on Touchpad & the Audio quality when using my Bose headphones. MULTITASKING.

On the iPad, I like the App selection, the ability to easily sync music.

BUT I HAVE TO SAY APPLE SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO MONOPOLIZE THEIR MUSIC SYNC.

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
Put your device in Developer mode.
From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
Vualla Preware is installed.]
demetry14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2011, 03:14 AM   #18 (permalink)

ignoring screen size. HP will release a 7" and I thing RIM have a bigger screen in development.

if I want true elegent multitasking I think the TP or playbook are the only option. The playbook looks very compelling.

What it comes down to for me is the need to back a winner and not get a platform that big name developers support. Currently HP seems to be doing better on that front.
hagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2011, 07:28 AM   #19 (permalink)

Amazing that they made such a mistake at the end:

Scores order Playbook - Touchpad.
  1. Design: 3.3 vs 2.3 (Agreed)
  2. Controls & User interface: 3.3 vs 3.0 (Impossible, it should be at least a draw, in fact, it should be higher for both, specially for the Touchpad)
  3. Features: 3.7 vs 3.0 (this is absurd, the Playbook still doesn't have a damn email client! contacts, or any interesting app! The App Catalog in the HP Touchpad is pretty decent, as are the default apps! e.g. Facebook on the playbook is a joke compared to the Touchpad)!
  4. Web Browsing & Multimedia: 3.7 vs 3.0 (Agreed, the Playbook flash implementation is much better, not to mention it doesn't lag with 1080p, it has video out, it also stereo (like the Touchpad), and the screen is *much* better).
  5. Performance: 4.0 vs 3.0 (Agreed... but only on the native apps, third party apps are painfully slow on the Playbook)
  6. Value: 3.0 vs 4.0 (Agreed. Email alone...)

The final scores:
Playbook: 3.5
HP Touchpad: 3.05

----------------

How I think it should work:

Instead of assigning arbitrary numbers, we should define the scale, but not merely as x/10, but rather define 10. 10 shoudn't be an ideal, but a current products. So, for instance:

Design 10 = iPad 2
GUI 10 = HP Touchpad
Features = iPad 2 (I'm not including flash in this category, it belongs to web browsing).
Web Browsing & Multimedia 10 = Playbook
Perfomance 10 = iPad 2
Value 10 = Transformer

So, using this scale, I would rate them in the following way:

iPad 2: 10, 8.5 (iOS 4.x), 10, 8, 10, 9.
Overall: 9.25.

HP Touchpad: 6.5, 10, 8.5, 8.5, 7, 8.
Overall: 8.03.

Playbook: 9, 8, 5.0, 10, 9, 6.5
Overall: 8

If the playbook were =<450 with an email client, contacts, and the full cores apps, it would be really, really good. As would be Touchpad with good perfomance, or better hardware.

This mixed with an algorithm would create a rather interesting system, as it would allow us to do stuff like this:

A new tablet (let us image Opal XD) earns the category of best design, so it's the new 10, then, by just defining the iPad 2 in terms of Opal, let us say, 9/10, then all the other scores can automatically adjusted =)

Last edited by augustofretes; 07/10/2011 at 07:56 AM.
augustofretes is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0