Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I tried out the Touchpad at hhgregg and here was my experience.

Software:
    The software is very beautiful and works very well. Nothing looks like an afterthought. Some places are choppy and laggy like opening apps(5-10 seconds sometimes) and multi-touch in the photo gallery. Some of the Android tablets I tested like the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the Asus Transformer were much faster when moving through the OS and instant when opening apps. Even with multiple apps in the background. Also, I find that the accelerometer is much more sensitive on the Touchpad while the Android tablets were slower to rotate to the point of frustration.

Hardware:
    The hardware on the Touchpad feels well built but isn't worth the 499 base price. The Galaxy Tab is much nicer and has a better feel and the Asus has a unique 2-tone copperish-brown and black look. Overall, the Asus has a more sophisticated and industrial design. I didn't get to test out the front camera on the TP because of the lack of a camera app and lack of internet. The cameras on the other two aren't very good but they are ok for being on a tablet. The TP has a very slippery back while the Asus has more grip than the other two.

Price:
    The TP's price doesn't justify the speed and the features it comes with. It feels like just another tablet and there really is nothing compelling about it.

Overall:
    The Touchpad really is a disappointing tablet for me. It feels like Asus and Samsung took more care optimizing the software. The other tablets also feel better built and like the TP is just an iPad 1 with a front camera and is slightly thicker and heavier and much more powerful but slower at the same time.

Experience at hhgregg:

The store is brand new and the associates are very friendly and are actually WILLING to help. The good thing about this store is that the tablets are the first thing you see with the Touchpad being the first one in the row of tablets. Sadly, only 1 person was playing with it. The associates are informed but the one I was working with wasn't too informed. He was more impressed with the Android tablets than the TP and sadly, so was I. So I think this store has potential to sell the TP well. They said the Transformer is their best selling tablet so I don't see the TP coming to the top anytime soon.
    I found hhgregg very satisfying and almost overly helpful with their customer service. Maybe I'm just so used to Best Buy not giving a rats about their customers or their simply too busy. Either way, hhgregg is certainly a breath of fresh-air store wise.

In relation to your TouchPad experience, sorry to hear that and my TouchPad has similar sluggish aspects that thankfully I can live with for now. I personally love webOS and the problems I've had a infrequent and not enough for me not the buy or for that matter return my TP. Either way, I'm hopeful that HP gets their OTA updates in process and completed soon, so we can remove some of these stumbling blocks and get on with business. Thanks for the comments, Sorli...
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    I found hhgregg very satisfying and almost overly helpful with their customer service. Maybe I'm just so used to Best Buy not giving a rats about their customers or their simply too busy. Either way, hhgregg is certainly a breath of fresh-air store wise.

In relation to your TouchPad experience, sorry to hear that and my TouchPad has similar sluggish aspects that thankfully I can live with for now. I personally love webOS and the problems I've had a infrequent and not enough for me not the buy or for that matter return my TP. Either way, I'm hopeful that HP gets their OTA updates in process and completed soon, so we can remove some of these stumbling blocks and get on with business. Thanks for the comments, Sorli...
    Your welcome . hhgregg is a breath of fresh air. I think that BestBuy is just too big and they don't really care. hhgregg has the experience of a small town home improvement store with a large variety of electronics and home appliances, etc.

The TP is a very beautiful tablet and anyone can fall in love with it but I just didn't feel right about it. Somethings were sluggish and choppy while other things felt in place and worked beautifully. I really hope HP will get to work before I place my order on a tablet.
    hhgregg is a commission-based store. All reps are paid on commission by what they sell. More than likely this is the reason why the Android tablets have been selling better than the TP. The reps are also more helpful, because they absolutely need you to buy from them in order to make a living. It's very different from places like BestBuy, where the rep gets paid whether you buy something or not.

I wouldn't dismiss what the representatives of the store are trying to sell you, just keep in mind that they may push the Transformer over the TP simply because they make more money on it. Also, it doesn't matter what anyone says about store policy that says reps need to sell what the customer wants - bottom line is they want to sell what they get paid more on (no doubt, all of us would if we were in the same position).

Of course, that's all moot-point if the TP actually makes them more money. In which case, I have to wonder why they wouldn't be pushing it more to potential customers.
    ~ Follow me on Twitter ~