Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    I'm starting a new job on Monday. I'm a Microsoft .NET programmer.

The CIO sent an email out to the new hires last Friday saying our laptops won't arrive till mid-week (Dell), and would I please bring my own laptop on Monday. Problem is, I don't own a laptop. I do have a TouchPad though.

So now I'm going through the reasons they'd like me to bring in my own laptop.

1. They have an Intranet with web-based training stuff that I'll be working through.
    2. There's code I should start to look at - but that assumes I have a development environment set up on my laptop.
    3. There's documentation on the corporate file servers I'll need to look at.

The first should be a slam-dunk with my Touchpad, once I get hooked into their intranet.

The other two assume I can navigate to and open word documents, spreadsheets, text files, etc.

Please tell me there's a way I can connect my Touchpad to their local wifi, and navigate to folders on their MS file server!
    Or head to a place like Aaron Rents and rent one for a month...
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    I'm interested in this from a home network perspective. I have my home computers with files shared (workgroup) and would love to be able to look at files within the workgroup without having to sync via Dropbox/Box.net.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Or head to a place like Aaron Rents and rent one for a month...
    Yea, for this situation it sounds like OP really should just rent/buy a laptop. You don't want to show up your first day and find out the Touchpad can do what you need...
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I don't have a Windows box handy to test, but couldn't we do something like this via homebrew:

mount -t cifs //server/share -o username=user,password=pass /mnt/share

...then just access it via Internalz?
    irwinr12 likes this.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I would love to see this feature so I could do file transfers to my nas without having to plug in to one of my pc's.
    Quote Originally Posted by dsei View Post
    I don't have a Windows box handy to test, but couldn't we do something like this via homebrew:

mount -t cifs //server/share -o username=user,password=pass /mnt/share

...then just access it via Internalz?
    This would be awsome!

Btw, on my Pre- this works. just mounted a Samba share and browsed through my foto collection via Internalz :-)
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    We really need a shell app for Touchpad.
    irwinr12 likes this.
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olodin View Post
    This would be awsome!

Btw, on my Pre- this works. just mounted a Samba share and browsed through my foto collection via Internalz :-)
    If you mount it under /media/internal - or symlink to it from there - does the builtin Photos app see them?
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Are you serious, can we really just simply mount samba shares on webOS out of the box??? Why have I not known this before???

So we need a terminal app for the TP soon, or is there one already? Or better than that, have indeed Jason add this in Internalz.
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbah View Post
    If you mount it under /media/internal - or symlink to it from there - does the builtin Photos app see them?
    I haven't tried on the TouchPad, but have on the Pre, and I suspect the problem is the same. The /media volume (AKA the USB drive) is a FAT volume (which is why it's recognized by Windows) and doesn,t support symbolic links.
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I haven't tried on the TouchPad, but have on the Pre, and I suspect the problem is the same. The /media volume (AKA the USB drive) is a FAT volume (which is why it's recognized by Windows) and doesn,t support symbolic links.
    ... And Windows continues to make my life worse even though I don't even run it at home any more ...
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    If I can stream my mp3s from my Server on my Touchpad, I would jump for joy! Oh and my movies to. This thing has Wireless N. Let's get this going!
    Devices
    -Sprint Pre & FrankenPre 2
    -AT&T Pre3 4G
    Accessories
    -5 Touchstones for phones & Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbah View Post
    I've mounted it under /media/internal and the folder does not show up in the photos app.
    But maybe it is just to big for the app to display/scan? (it's 38G of photos)
    How do you perform the mount command on a TP? Do I need some app to do this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFL View Post
    How do you perform the mount command on a TP? Do I need some app to do this?
    I don't know for certain for a TP, but in a Pre you can use webOS Quick Install to open a terminal window on the Pre. Then issue the mount command from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    I don't know for certain for a TP, but in a Pre you can use webOS Quick Install to open a terminal window on the Pre. Then issue the mount command from there.
    This should also work for a Touchpad when put in devmode and accessed via novaterm or Webos Quickinstall.

I just confirmed that at least with the webOS 3.0 emulator we have a working mount.cifs command

Can't wait for a enyo terminal app!
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Terminal from a computer is pretty limited in utility...I have to have a PC in order to mount/openvpn/ssh, etc...but then I have this computer at the end of my USB cable that I can use instead with fewer steps.

I terminal/shell app that runs on the touchpad would be far more useful.
    irwinr12 likes this.
    I have no suggestions for the OP, except the possible suggestions already posted. But I will say; this is an urgent need for the TouchPad that would put it over the top IMHO. I have a networked home, Windows Server 2003, a desktop, 3 laptops, all running Windows, 1 XP and the remainder Win7. Also have a netbook running Linux (Ubuntu). My wife is a manager and uses one of the laptops at work on her hospitals Windows based wireless network.

No problems sharing/editing on any devices, but the biggest obstacle for me purchasing a TouchPad immediately is the inability to connect and share/edit files on my network, and my wife to do the same at work. I will subscribe to this thread to see if some of the WebOS genius minds who hang out in here get this figured out as a work around, or hopefully it will be something HP is working on as a push upgrade in the future. That would be the ideal solution.
    Hummm... someone can create an .IPK to solve this?

Only an interface to insert the username, password and domain and use that command line...

Best Regards...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast