Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #21  
    Wow - thanks for the discussion! This is useful stuff not only for me, but for the P|C community.

Everything worked out well today. Turns out their main concern was whether I'd be able to browse documentation from the vendor's site, which I was able to do effortlessly with my Touchpad.

Interesting side-note.. I brought along the Touchstone for my Pre-, and when I popped the phone on the charger and it said "bing Bing", one of the other programmers jumped up: "You have a Palm device?". He showed me his Pixi, which he's loved for two years.

I sent a link to PreCentral along, and told him about homebrew. He apparently hadn't spent any time trying to figure out how to hack his phone. He asked, "how do you root it?". I said "Konami code, which is.. " and then "oh yeah, leftrightleftright, etc". He was incredulous that Palm/HP would support and even encourage "rooting" (which is not really rooting in webOS, it's called "using your phone").

Bonus is that he's the jQuery expert onsite. I told him about the SDK and how it seemed to use a lot of jQuery syntax, and he said "dude, I'm there".

So not only do I have a cool new job, with a fellow webOS fan, but I've also got a coach for Enyo programming.

It's been a good day.
    hparsons and Sukiyaki like this.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Wow. What a great day and new job. Congrats.
    Congrats on the new job! Very cool that you've run into a Palm/webOS fan there.

Back on topic...

Bump. Anyone have any further updates on this? I hope HP is working on a permanent solution for shared drive access but, in the meantime, I'm sure this would be a really useful feature for not only me but also for a lot of other folks.

Does anyone know if sshfs is usable on the Touchpad?
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    If I can stream my mp3s from my Server on my Touchpad, I would jump for joy! Oh and my movies to. This thing has Wireless N. Let's get this going!
    You can .... using Tversity or PLay On Media Server Software.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    It took me half a day, but I figured out that the stock (& uber) kernel on TP does NOT support connecting to network shares!!!

But, there is a solution:
    Install the testing kernel F15C (if you have the guts), this has CIFS support: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...kernels-3.html

And then edit fstab and run the appropriate commands in a terminal and you're up and running.
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...rk-shares.html
    Last edited by spud101; 08/07/2011 at 01:34 PM.
    GuyFromNam likes this.
    I am not able to mount to the /media/internal directory. I am getting an error: "No such device". Any advice? Below is my command from xterm:

mount -t cifs //192.168.1.20/users/myname -o username=user@mydomainname.com,password=mypass /media/internal
    It needs to be of the format :-

mount -t cifs //192.168.1.20/users/myname /media/internal -o username=user@mydomainname.com,password=mypass

Additionally - the point that it mounts the remote cifs filesystem to needs to be an existing, empty directory. /media/internal is already in use as the point the TP mounts the main user storage filesystem on.

You need to:

mkdir /media/anynameyouwant

then:

mount -t cifs //192.168.1.20/users/myname /media/anynameyouwant -o username=user@mydomainname.com,password=mypass
    Bump.

We need a solution to connect and stream from home servers and NAS.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mailtms View Post
    Bump.

We need a solution to connect and stream from home servers and NAS.

Thanks
    There are several solutions that have been available for sometime now that allow you to stream video and music from home servers and NAS.

KalemSoft Media Player
    BHome Pro
    UPnP AV Player
    AmpacheXL
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    Quote Originally Posted by noseph View Post
    There are several solutions that have been available for sometime now that allow you to stream video and music from home servers and NAS.

KalemSoft Media Player
    BHome Pro
    UPnP AV Player
    AmpacheXL
    Also, if you have a proper media renderer there's xmbc remote so you can browse the media on your WebOS device and choose what you want to play on your TV/Stereo. I haven't actually tried it though as my media player (PS3) isn't a full renderer so doesn't support it... I'm so upgrading if I get a TP!
    Quote Originally Posted by kuraikaze View Post
    Additionally - the point that it mounts the remote cifs filesystem to needs to be an existing, empty directory. /media/internal is already in use as the point the TP mounts the main user storage filesystem on.
    Actually, I think you can mount on top of an existing mount. I suspect that anything that is already open from the underlying fileystem will stay visible as long as the file descriptor is open.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12