Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The price was $599 everywhere and I really wanted one, but:
    - the discount doesn't apply to me because I was bought a Pre2 instead of a Pre+ (thanks for the support HP)
    - the QVC offer was not that good with shipping and taxes included
    - I read the reviews and I'll believe they can fix the lag issues when I see it (still waiting for a fix for the Pre2 issues)
    - And now, only a week after the release, I've heard about a 64GB model with a dual-core 1.5 GHz processor coming next month (it doesn't pay off to be a early [HP] adopter )

Then I saw the price on Amazon.com go down to $592, $582 and $572.65 , there is even a seller named vdc_enterprises who is listing it for $550.99 + $6.99 shipping My guess is he bought two for himself, got tired of it and decided to sell it quick (jk)
    So I guess they figured out they made the wrong move pricing the TP just like a iPad.

But I still want one, do you think I should wait and price is going to be under $550?
    Do you think they'll ship and new/faster model next month? Probably for $699?
    More importantly, do you believe they'll come up with a "TP Envy" for Christmas? I mean thinner, metal finish or not fingerprint magnet, not rear camera handicapped TP.
    "So I guess they figured out they made the wrong move pricing the TP just like a iPad"

HP knows that selling their products through retailers means immediate discounts and price drops so why price it lower than the iPad out of the gate. By the time the TP2 is released, the TP1 will be $80 to $100 cheaper. Apple keeps tight control over manufacturing, distribution and price and does not tend to drop prices until a new model is released. HP will flood the market with WebOS tabs of all types making them better and cheaper as time goes on. This has been their business model and that of most of the big electronics manufacturers except Apple.
    Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I almost walked out of bestbuy today with a touchpad or an Ipad. I ruling out android OS for tablets until later this year; it just couldn't measure up to the testing I was doing on the other two devices.

If I can get a 16gb touchpad for under MSRP or a 32gb for about the price of a 16gb, I'll go for it over the Ipad. WebOS is really slick but IOS just seems more refined and community supported right now and I've got to base my decision on the now. I hope that update comes out soon; I'm curious to see where this goes. Besides, messing with it in best buy was really annoying with that demo software. Once the thing boots though it seems fine though I did get a memory full message; which was disconcerting.
    I think the biggest avg of getting it from QVC are as follow:
    1. 5 payments of $142 if you cant drop about $650 at others places for a 32GB
    2. They bundle the touchstone ($80) and case ($50) with purchase of TP for $659

$659TP/dock/case+ $13.97S&H+ $40.38tax = $713.35 (again the payment plan can be the closer for many with a 30 day return, I will also get the $50 rebate from HP)

It ships on Jul 15th and I will receive it on Jul 20th, which I moved up from the 25th for an extra $5
    i'd wait and see if it goes to down $100. before you know it, it will be the holidays and i wouldnt think it impossible for $100 less.

exactly as you said... look at the amazon pricing already... i was actually surprised because it wasnt a week old yet. makes you think... that $50 'make it up ta ya' discount for pre adopters.... what a joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by observator View Post
    Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I almost walked out of bestbuy today with a touchpad or an Ipad. I ruling out android OS for tablets until later this year; it just couldn't measure up to the testing I was doing on the other two devices.

If I can get a 16gb touchpad for under MSRP or a 32gb for about the price of a 16gb, I'll go for it over the Ipad. WebOS is really slick but IOS just seems more refined and community supported right now and I've got to base my decision on the now. I hope that update comes out soon; I'm curious to see where this goes. Besides, messing with it in best buy was really annoying with that demo software. Once the thing boots though it seems fine though I did get a memory full message; which was disconcerting.
    I just had a Touchpad for 1 week. I returned it today and was going to walk out of BB with an iPad. The sales geek tried to tell me I'd never get my hands on a 16gb iPad anywhere in the city and told me they had 64gb versions and only white. So I left with my refund. Walked into my nearest Target and out with my iPad 2.

Since WebOS is VERY fresh in my memory, iOS seems clunky and relatively annoying compared to webOS. I can't tell you how many times I have tried to swipe UP from the bottom to show my cards. WebOS is amazing!!! I love the way it works and the user experience. I was sitting here surfing with the touchpad yesterday evening and it crashed on me 4 times in 2 hours. I'm a geek so I'm even generally ok waiting for kinks to be worked out....normally, I'd be ok just waiting for updates and kinks to be worked out. In this case though, the TP costs as much as the iPad. If something goes wrong with my iPad in the next year, I take it to the genius bar at any apple store and they give me a working one. If something goes wrong with a TP and you're within your return window it's probably ok. I shudder to think what they make you do for warranty repair (most likely send it somewhere and wait a looong time for a replacement).

Anyway, you might get the computer geek types to wait for updates etc, but you're not going to get the general populous to put up with a product that doesn't work well out of the box. If my parents who are in their 60's would have brought a TP home to try and it crashed on them once...they'd be done. They would have been in the store returning it the next day. Probably a huge majority of people don't understand what flash is....nor do they care.

Ultimately, I changed my mind and went with the iPad mostly because my son has autism and they use iPads at school so I know that I'll be able to get the same apps they use at school on the iPad. I truly hope webOS takes off and that next time I need a new tablet I won't even have to think twice on which to get..that it will be webOS.
    i am definitely stuck on the fence.

i really want a Touchpad but if in one month from now a newer model is unveiled that drops the price of the current models then id be kicking myself for pulling the trigger right now. likewise if a new model came out that was more aesthetically pleasing than the current models i'd be kicking myself cos of that as well. not that i care much about it being 'fatter' than the ipad, but it'd certainly look awesome just a tad thinner. hardly an issue though. more concerned about price and performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    I think the biggest avg of getting it from QVC are as follow:
    1. 5 payments of $142 if you cant drop about $650 at others places for a 32GB
    2. They bundle the touchstone ($80) and case ($50) with purchase of TP for $659

$659TP/dock/case+ $13.97S&H+ $40.38tax = $713.35 (again the payment plan can be the closer for many with a 30 day return, I will also get the $50 rebate from HP)

It ships on Jul 15th and I will receive it on Jul 20th, which I moved up from the 25th for an extra $5
    my Order come up to Sub Total:$659.00
    Total S&H: $13.93
    Total Tax: $26.92
    Order Total: $699.85
    [FONT="Garamond"]Dam1 J1sFONT]
    Quote Originally Posted by JillyBean View Post
    I just had a Touchpad for 1 week. I returned it today and was going to walk out of BB with an iPad. The sales geek tried to tell me I'd never get my hands on a 16gb iPad anywhere in the city and told me they had 64gb versions and only white. So I left with my refund. Walked into my nearest Target and out with my iPad 2.

Since WebOS is VERY fresh in my memory, iOS seems clunky and relatively annoying compared to webOS. I can't tell you how many times I have tried to swipe UP from the bottom to show my cards. WebOS is amazing!!! I love the way it works and the user experience. I was sitting here surfing with the touchpad yesterday evening and it crashed on me 4 times in 2 hours. I'm a geek so I'm even generally ok waiting for kinks to be worked out....normally, I'd be ok just waiting for updates and kinks to be worked out. In this case though, the TP costs as much as the iPad. If something goes wrong with my iPad in the next year, I take it to the genius bar at any apple store and they give me a working one. If something goes wrong with a TP and you're within your return window it's probably ok. I shudder to think what they make you do for warranty repair (most likely send it somewhere and wait a looong time for a replacement).

Anyway, you might get the computer geek types to wait for updates etc, but you're not going to get the general populous to put up with a product that doesn't work well out of the box. If my parents who are in their 60's would have brought a TP home to try and it crashed on them once...they'd be done. They would have been in the store returning it the next day. Probably a huge majority of people don't understand what flash is....nor do they care.

Ultimately, I changed my mind and went with the iPad mostly because my son has autism and they use iPads at school so I know that I'll be able to get the same apps they use at school on the iPad. I truly hope webOS takes off and that next time I need a new tablet I won't even have to think twice on which to get..that it will be webOS.
    I think you're right about the "Mom & Pop" consumer and the state of the OS as of today. But I played with an iPad 2 before the TP was out and I just couldn't get over the "Apple Phobia" that I have so I'm pretty sure, no matter how many apps there are, iOS wouldn't be for me - for the reasons you describe and more. So I guess I'm the geek waiting for updates and hoping they come fast and often!

But I also do want to say that I've had several experiences with HP hardware support/repair (Laptop, TV & Printer) and in my experience, while not at the "Genius" level, they're pretty good with making repairs on warranty (and sometimes even past warranty) issues.

With all that said, I didn't wait because I'm interested in the evolution of the OS (and BB 18 months no interest + 10% off coupons didn't hurt.) Normally, I'd wait for more updates and even a second round of hardware and it's what I'd recommend to anyone that asks me who isn't, um, on the koolaid, or pretty tech savvy at least. Or, I might suggest, if they're in the market for a new phone, to pick up a Pre2 (since their cheap now) and try it out to see how they like the OS.

I don't know if it'll be a week, a month or (gawd, I hope not!) 6 months, but I'm confident the 'glitches' will get sorted out and for me, even with them, I'm really glad I have the thing now. I'm having a blast with it but glad I don't have to depend on it for a while.

-just my 2c.
    I am on the same boat as you!

I REALLY WANT ONE and I LOVE the TP as I have tired it many times at BB. But the prices are actually going down. $570 at amazon.com

If it goes below $550 I will DEFINITELY pull the trigger but I am going to give it a couple of more weeks. Though I don't know how much longer I can wait! AHH!!
    Quote Originally Posted by damdre2 View Post
    my Order come up to Sub Total:$659.00
    Total S&H: $13.93
    Total Tax: $26.92
    Order Total: $699.85
    I assume the taxes has to do with ones state of residence, at least I hope. I will call QVC to find out, thanks for the info.
    I would wait until the update, which supposedly will come "very soon" (whatever that means to HP). The update could make the TP worth it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    I think you're right about the "Mom & Pop" consumer and the state of the OS as of today. But I played with an iPad 2 before the TP was out and I just couldn't get over the "Apple Phobia" that I have so I'm pretty sure, no matter how many apps there are, iOS wouldn't be for me - for the reasons you describe and more. So I guess I'm the geek waiting for updates and hoping they come fast and often!

But I also do want to say that I've had several experiences with HP hardware support/repair (Laptop, TV & Printer) and in my experience, while not at the "Genius" level, they're pretty good with making repairs on warranty (and sometimes even past warranty) issues.

With all that said, I didn't wait because I'm interested in the evolution of the OS (and BB 18 months no interest + 10% off coupons didn't hurt.) Normally, I'd wait for more updates and even a second round of hardware and it's what I'd recommend to anyone that asks me who isn't, um, on the koolaid, or pretty tech savvy at least. Or, I might suggest, if they're in the market for a new phone, to pick up a Pre2 (since their cheap now) and try it out to see how they like the OS.

I don't know if it'll be a week, a month or (gawd, I hope not!) 6 months, but I'm confident the 'glitches' will get sorted out and for me, even with them, I'm really glad I have the thing now. I'm having a blast with it but glad I don't have to depend on it for a while.

-just my 2c.
    I too hope it's not 6 months and it will be really fun to see what happens with the Touchpad. I fully intend on sticking around here and will probably end up with a pre 3 when my android phone dies. I dunno...maybe I'll start filling my coin jar again and maybe when I have enough for another tablet the glitches will be all worked out and the TP will cost $100 less than it does today. If that all happens then maybe the children will inherit the iPad.

Glad to hear you've had good experiences having things fixed through HP. My true intention is have a tablet instead of a laptop. I already have a desktop machine which I use so the laptop I have gets used for nothing more than web-surfing.

Apple is by no means the greatest thing ever, but I have some Apple products and I really like them due to the fact that they mostly just work (by no means do they always work, but they do seem more stable than most of the other stuff I've had). I have an android phone already and really don't like it due to memory leaks and crashes. I'm pretty sure it was the flash stuff causing my Touchpad to crash. I truly am hoping HP can make webOS take off. The world certainly needs more choices. I don't think you get Apple brainwashed unless you are prone to doing so, and once Steve is done I'm sure it just won't be the same.

Hopefully HP will find their way and be a formidable opponent. I don't think they even need to come close to the Apple market share to be successful...they just need a good, solid product that works and is easy to use (for the non-geeks) so that they can sell some. And hopefully their ad campaign won't include some creepy looking lady (ala palm pre).

FWIW, you'd never get my parents to consider an Apple product. It's just too weird and different than their current windows XP set up (yes, XP) and they really don't want me to upgrade them to windows 7 because it will be "too different."
    the only reason I am keeping mine is I paid $290 or so for a 32gb.. 10% off.. $200 in gift cards and $50 rebate. It does **** me off hearing of the price drops and new versions. Its also going to be alot harder to resell a tp1 when the tp2 comes out.. It better be at least year or I'm gonna flip out...
    Quote Originally Posted by ogloco21 View Post
    the only reason I am keeping mine is I paid $290 or so for a 32gb.. 10% off.. $200 in gift cards and $50 rebate. It does **** me off hearing of the price drops and new versions. Its also going to be alot harder to resell a tp1 when the tp2 comes out.. It better be at least year or I'm gonna flip out...
    My wife will get my TP 1 and I will get the TP2 when it arrives....... i already got a plan
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    My wife will get my TP 1 and I will get the TP2 when it arrives....... i already got a plan
    yeah.. I guess mine will go to my 1 year old. I bought my wife an ipad2 2 months ago. I didn't want to hear all the nagging like I get with the pixi troubles she has if I got her a touchpad. The ipad just plain works..
  17.    #17  
    JillyBean makes a great point, that we "geeks" never talked about in here = apps.
    Everytime a new product or service comes along WebOS is never listed on the supported devices.
    Also when my friends talked about their new/cool/fun apps I have nothing to say, specially since I'm locked out of the App Catalog. Something Apple doesn't do, you can download almost any app anywhere.

Thanks guys you make really good points.

I JUST DECIDED: I'm going to wait :-/
    I'm not completely happy wit h my choice though.
    Here's why:
    a. I like to buy "top of the line" products (easier to sell later) and if they come out with a new TP soon I'll regret it.
    b. I'm sure for every week I wait I'll save a couple of $.
    c. I NEED to see the issues have been fixed, instead of taking HP's word for it.
    d. iPad 3(HD) is coming apparently, an even though I'm kinda repulsed by Apple, I want to see what they're up to.
    Quote Originally Posted by ogloco21 View Post
    yeah.. I guess mine will go to my 1 year old. I bought my wife an ipad2 2 months ago. I didn't want to hear all the nagging like I get with the pixi troubles she has if I got her a touchpad. The ipad just plain works..
    Lol...too funny, I get the same nagging from my wife about her Pixi. I figure by the time the TP2 is here, the updates, etc for the TP1 will be safe enough for me to pass it on to here, since she is not as big on the most recent electronics as I am and just needs it to work like her friends Apple products. I cant wait to get my TP on the 20th!
    Quote Originally Posted by kyleoXD View Post
    I am on the same boat as you!

I REALLY WANT ONE and I LOVE the TP as I have tired it many times at BB. But the prices are actually going down. $570 at amazon.com

If it goes below $550 I will DEFINITELY pull the trigger but I am going to give it a couple of more weeks. Though I don't know how much longer I can wait! AHH!!
    Your wish has come true. http://digitaletc.com/sale/hp-touchpad-32gb.html
    Sadly I have to pay for tax...Stupid NY...LOLS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast