Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone know if the Touchpad has Upnp support? I want to stream files from my Linux computer to my Touchpad.
    +1 id like to do the same....
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    No apps for this (yet). There is one DLNA client app, but it only supports photos and doesn't see any of my UPNP/DLNA servers (mediatomb, MythTV and PlayOn).
    There is an app called Bhome by Blue Star software. I don't know anything about it.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    that's the one I'm referring to. It says only images for now & doesn't work with any servers I've tried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    No apps for this (yet). There is one DLNA client app, but it only supports photos and doesn't see any of my UPNP/DLNA servers (mediatomb, MythTV and PlayOn).
    Apparently it will work with PlanOn's "mobile access" feature.
  7.    #7  
    Well right now I'm using Mediatomb to broadcast content from my desktop to the Touchpad. I can access my files through the Touchpad's web browser.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    Apparently it will work with PlanOn's "mobile access" feature.
    Please elaborate as I have a lifetime sub to PlayOn.

Ah...found the settings though it doesn't work and BHome is only for images, not video, right now anyway. Will try to get it working.
    Last edited by Mize; 07/09/2011 at 10:06 PM.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Well right now I'm using Mediatomb to broadcast content from my desktop to the Touchpad. I can access my files through the Touchpad's web browser.
    ???

Of course I can browse my database from http, but Mediatomb, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $cannot$ $stream$ $to$ $flash$ $or$ $html5$. $How$ $are$ $you$ $watching$ $movies$?
    Mediatomb sounds promising and I'd love to know more.

Either way, speaking of BHome uPNP SOFTWARE, manufacturer reported having problems and a bug in webOS 3.0 that was keeping their software from seeing uPNP and DLNA servers. They're working on a fix and trying some other options to make things work.

Thanks, Brian...
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    You can configure mediatomb via a browser. You cannot watch movies in a browser so I don't know what k4ever is talking about. It would have to transcode to flash *and* have an httpd service for it, which no released version of Mediatomb has.

k4ever, can you explain what you're saying you're able to do with mediatomb and a browser for us?
    upnp player would be awesome. I have all my media files stored on my nas system at home. Would be great if we could be able to play that on the TP. I must say I dont think there is a upnp player for the pre is there?
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Please elaborate as I have a lifetime sub to PlayOn.

Ah...found the settings though it doesn't work and BHome is only for images, not video, right now anyway. Will try to get it working.
    PlayOn works for me, both on my home network and when my TouchPad is tethered to my Pre via FreeTether.

Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    the touchpad has the mp4/h.264 file format and codec built-in (one of the HTML video formats.) all your videos should open in the video player if they are in a file format and encoded in one of the few supported combinations on the touchpad from mediatomb.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaihmeyer View Post
    the touchpad has the mp4/h.264 file format and codec built-in (one of the HTML video formats.) all your videos should open in the video player if they are in a file format and encoded in one of the few supported combinations on the touchpad from mediatomb.
    with the exception that you have to have a DLNA/UPNP client app that supports video...if you want to stream from your server.

What are you using?
  16.    #16  
    You can configure mediatomb via a browser. You cannot watch movies in a browser so I don't know what k4ever is talking about. It would have to transcode to flash *and* have an httpd service for it, which no released version of Mediatomb has.

k4ever, can you explain what you're saying you're able to do with mediatomb and a browser for us?
    Wow! I did not know that you folks did not know this. Files can be configured and accessed through the browser of any computer on your network, usually using the host (server) computer's IP address and the Mediatomb port number (usually 49152). For example if Mediatomb is running on computer with IP address 192.145.34.7, the you can access it from your Touchpad on the same network by placing 192.145.34.7:49152 in the Touchpad's browser. You will be presented with Mediatomb's webpage with "Database" and "Filesystem" as options. You configure which files to share under "Filesystem". You can then access those files under "Database". If the file is in a format recognized by the Touchpad (.mp4 or .m4v for videos) and you click on the file's link in the browser, the Touchpad will play the file in a separate streaming player. It sucks for music and pictures because it will only play one file at a time. Not a big problem for videos and movies which tend to be longer. Hope this helps. I've watched over 10 movies/videos over my server on the Touchpad since setting it up yesterday. I really want Upnp support because the device will treat the server as a native filesystem.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlopin View Post
    PlayOn works for me, both on my home network and when my TouchPad is tethered to my Pre via FreeTether.

How much is PlayOn per month? Would you be willing to post a tutorial?
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Wow! I did not know that you folks did not know this. Files can be configured and accessed through the browser of any computer on your network, usually using the host (server) computer's IP address and the Mediatomb port number (usually 49152). For example if Mediatomb is running on computer with IP address 192.145.34.7, the you can access it from your Touchpad on the same network by placing 192.145.34.7:49152 in the Touchpad's browser. You will be presented with Mediatomb's webpage with "Database" and "Filesystem" as options. You configure which files to share under "Filesystem". You can then access those files under "Database". If the file is in a format recognized by the Touchpad (.mp4 or .m4v for videos) and you click on the file's link in the browser, the Touchpad will play the file in a separate streaming player. It sucks for music and pictures because it will only play one file at a time. Not a big problem for videos and movies which tend to be longer. Hope this helps. I've watched over 10 movies/videos over my server on the Touchpad since setting it up yesterday. I really want Upnp support because the device will treat the server as a native filesystem.
    Seriously? Will give it a shot. Does it support transcoding?
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Indeed this works with Mediatomb with a few caveats:

1. no transcoding so no avis or mkv etc. will work (they transcode if you have a proper client)
    2. aspect ratio is wrong and not correctable with the player
    3. larger files just seem to churn and not start...

will mess with PlayOn later. I know it has to be configured manually for the mobile feature and am too busy right now.
  20.    #20  
    Indeed this works with Mediatomb with a few caveats:

1. no transcoding so no avis or mkv etc. will work (they transcode if you have a proper client)
    2. aspect ratio is wrong and not correctable with the player
    3. larger files just seem to churn and not start...

will mess with PlayOn later. I know it has to be configured manually for the mobile feature and am too busy right now.
    I can agree with #1, put I have not seen the problems listed under 2 and 3. I just watch The Wolfman, which is over an hour and 1/2 with no issues. Mize, did you encode your video right? Not saying that Mediatomb is a better solution than Playon but I did not have the problems you have. I wish it transcoded though.
    MrPsycho76 likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast