1.    #1  
    Was just wondering if anyone had tried to use this on either of the friday practices and if it worked. It doesn't on theipad and I'm quite hopeful that it will on the touchpad

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Proud Canadian owner of
    Palm Pre- WebOS 2.1 Sept 2009
    HP Touchpad WebOS 3.0 July 2011
    Palm Pre3 AT&T October 2011
    have you got a link?
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    i think it requires java. At least it did..
  4.    #4  
    Formula 1

Yeah I think it is java still. Is that going to be a problem, was under the impression that WebOS was built heavily on Java

Edit: should add that live timing actually only works when there is a session on, say qaulifying or the race.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    was under the impression that WebOS was built heavily on Java
    You're right. It was. They removed it entirely on webOS 2.0
    Newness Developments apps:

6.    #6  
    So no f1 timing on any platform without an increadbly expensive app?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Proud Canadian owner of
    Palm Pre- WebOS 2.1 Sept 2009
    HP Touchpad WebOS 3.0 July 2011
    Palm Pre3 AT&T October 2011
    and none at all for webos?
    well, I'm about to be able to find out in a couple of hours. I'll sign in real quick and see if it even loads up though.

aaaaand no dice, loads it up just like my iPad
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    I have emailed Soft Pauer, the developer of the live timing app on iOS and Android, hoping they will support webOS too.

If more people were to email them too at enquiries@softpauer.com i'm sure they will eventually get the message, and develop for webOS too
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    I got an email back quickly, shown below

Dear Karl,

We're looking at WebOS. Currently it does not have a big user base,
    and as we're an ongoing service, every platform we support is a long
    term investment - its not just a case of port once and forget about
    it. Every platform must be maintained, fixed and updated. However
    WebOS does tick the technical requirements better than, say, Windows
    Mobile 7 or Blackberry. So we're watching to see if WebOS can gain a
    big enough market for Apps to justify the costs. However HP have just
    apparently contacted us, so who knows?

Best regards,

Alex

so they seem interested, but just worried about the small number of users, perhaps if enough emailed them, they would make it sooner rather than later.

But with HP contacting them, i hope they bring it really soon, and i hope HP are contacting many other developers about bringing more high quality apps to webOS
  11.    #11  
    I do wonder why we have flash and html but java is missing. I have emailed but I have high hopes if HP itself has a dialogue open with them, that carries a lot of weight with it I think.

Also, cant test this as I dont have a touchpad yet but Speed has its own version which I THINK is flash based. SPEED Formula 1 RaceCast can anyone pull up that link with their touchpad? might be an alternative until we have an official app.

Spoiler warning: only look at that page if you want to know the results of the grand prix

edit: response to my emailWebOS is definitely on the radar, but as yet we're uncertain about the
    market. When we commit to a platform it takes a good deal of long term
    investment. However WebOS hardware is suitable, so who knows what the
    future will hold?

Best regards,

Alex

does sound midly promising
    Last edited by dcbo89; 07/10/2011 at 11:26 AM.
    Yes. The SPEED version is flash and works fairly well. A little hard to use the scroller though.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    does the speed.tv timing work in the same way as f1.com?
    Quote Originally Posted by rkeni View Post
    Yes. The SPEED version is flash and works fairly well. A little hard to use the scroller though.
    Seems to work on a Pre2 too. Definitely hard to use the scroller. Haven't seen what the live feed is like yet. Will find out this weekend.

Shame no Official F1 app.
    Also shame no Java on webOS!!
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    If they did it in HTML 5, there wouldn't be a problem.
    Sorry for the bump, but I'm sure F1 fans won't mind. Here is a fantastic unofficial timing site that should work on webOS.

Unofficial Formula 1 Live Timing

This website takes the official live timing information from formula1.com and renders it in your browser without the need for Java or a mobile app download. This means your browser needs to be a modern version and support, amongst other functionality, the HTML5 Canvas element and AJAX technologies.
    I no longer have my TP so I can't test, but I have a Pre 3 incoming so I hope it's all good. If you're a reddit user, send your thanks to Kloopy.
    I wasn't awake @ 4 am local but I tried it just now and can see data. I'll have to wait until the next 8am race to see it work live.
    Sounds like it will be fine, thanks for the reply. When it's live, don't forget to try out some of the options with the following keys:

+ - F T [ ]
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I like the SpeedTV coverage. It works on my pre3 and my touchpad.
    Reminder for anyone who is awake: Quali is about to start if you want to test the live timing.