Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By firebymike1111
  • 1 Post By OtinDaku
  1.    #1  
    Anyone have a nice workaround to setup the TP with multiple accounts?

    For example, I have my emails and facebook, picture accounts, etc. and my wife has her stuff, but I haven't found an easy way to get them separated so that we are not messing up each others stuff.

    It would be awesome if there was a profie switch or some patch that made this possible, but I haven't been able to find any to date.

    any ideas? anyone want to make one?
    cyberprashant likes this.
  2. #2  
    Currently there is no way to switch between Facebook accounts.
  3. #3  
    What youre asking for is a great idea, but doesnt exist for webOS...yet. I am not sure how feasible it is, but it would entail having the ability to log into a different Palm Profile.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
  4.    #4  
    yeah to think about it racked my brain because it goes against the grain of how synergy is currently setup.

    you would really have to keep both accounts actively logged in and "sync'd" but only have 1 live account that is displayed while giving the ability to flip to each profile from a switcher pane - a good location of which could reside in the settings area/drop down with all the other quick access stuff.

    smells like a great home brew project to me!
  5. #5  
    This bothered me for about a day until a moment of clarity had me recall how app-nuts we've all become: www.facebook.com and login as whoever you want

    Works well.
    jsgraphicart likes this.
  6.    #6  
    While I agree we have become app crazy, it's not just facebook that has log in accounts. everything in synergy is log in based. email, photos, FB, etc.

    then think of all the alerts that come in and out from calendar reminders, emails, texts, etc.
  7. #7  
    The solution is easy... just buy two TouchPads
  8. #8  
    Well you can make two different accounts and doctor the device every time you want to switch. lol
  9. #9  
    Now that you've brought this up, I'm honestly surprised that a profile selection mode wasn't incorporated into the TouchPad. This isn't a personal phone, that will travel with me and only me all day, every day. This is a computer that sits in my house (where other people live) and goes with me on long trips (which I take with other people).

    I can't imagine having a laptop that didn't let me have a separate profile for me and my girlfriend.
    Come play with my Twitter.
  10. #10  
    My guess would be at this point its an app cat/piracy issue. Maybe at some point they will have a good way to manage this, but right now I would rather they work out other bugs before tweaking anything else in the app cat.

    At least in the past we have seen innovation on how webos deals with anti piracy, so I wouldn't be surprised if we see further innovations in the future.

    -- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by firebymike1111 View Post
    Anyone have a nice workaround to setup the TP with multiple accounts?

    For example, I have my emails and facebook, picture accounts, etc. and my wife has her stuff, but I haven't found an easy way to get them separated so that we are not messing up each others stuff.

    It would be awesome if there was a profie switch or some patch that made this possible, but I haven't been able to find any to date.

    any ideas? anyone want to make one?
    yeah - we use the TP with all family members - question is who do you keep logged in? (profile switching somehow would be cool).
  12. #12  
    I recently lost my legacy Pre (Sprint) and would like to copy the apps I had in my old profile to the TP The phone was fuctional, but since I am changing over to ATT to purchase a Pre3, I wasn't going to be using it much. Can I somehow capture the apps that I purchased from the app store and copy them to the TP (where applicable?) or do I have to purchase everything again? Any insight would be helpful!
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by blacktreerecordings View Post
    I recently lost my legacy Pre (Sprint) and would like to copy the apps I had in my old profile to the TP The phone was fuctional, but since I am changing over to ATT to purchase a Pre3, I wasn't going to be using it much. Can I somehow capture the apps that I purchased from the app store and copy them to the TP (where applicable?) or do I have to purchase everything again? Any insight would be helpful!
    Its the same profile so you should be able to download everything you already bought for free. The only problem will be with games. You wont have all your save data. But there was an article here that showed how to transfer your angry birds save data. Im sure it will work with any game.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Its the same profile so you should be able to download everything you already bought for free. The only problem will be with games. You wont have all your save data. But there was an article here that showed how to transfer your angry birds save data. Im sure it will work with any game.

    Werd, if you can get data from save/restore you will be able to restore save history. Other than that every compatible app will download to your Pre3/Pre2/TP/Veer/etc we just did it and it is pretty flawless (if you haven't trusted your contacts to the Palm Profile, which we didn't have a problem with since I exported all of our contacts that had been initially in the Palm Profile to our gmail contacts).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  15. #15  
    Here's the catch. . . early on I had some challenges and changed Pre(s) a couple of times. I ended up creating a second Palm account which is the one my TP is currently linked to. Creating the second profile was a work-around suggested by an in-store Sprint rep. Any possibilities?
  16. #16  
    I would suggest hitting up an HP/Palm rep, not saying they can do anything for you, but based on your post I would say that's the next step.

    -- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  17. #17  
    Quick update to the story, my phone was returned to me at a Starbucks, good news. The bad news, I talked to HP and they seemed genuinely stumped. I thought that programs, especially those purchased through the app store remained saved in your profile. They were able to look at both profiles, but it seems the games weren't showing up there? Odd, I have my credit card charges, and the apps on my Pre to prove it lol. Is there a way to copy and paste the ipk to the TP?
  18. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraMav View Post

    I can't imagine having a laptop that didn't let me have a separate profile for me and my girlfriend.
    Right but the industry thinks about those devices like mobile phones, so there is no interest or incentive to develop multi-user profiles especially because they want ever user to have their own device - I don't think any of the tablet makers do it? (anyone?).
  19. #19  
    bump

    I think this issue needs some life suppoet
    What does this button do?


    crappy phones -->treo 600--> 700p--> 755p--> Pre--->Pre- 2.1 F104-----Franken Pre+ 2.1 f105 ---> Franken pre2 2.2.4
    touchpad 16gig uberkernel woop woop!!!
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Right but the industry thinks about those devices like mobile phones, so there is no interest or incentive to develop multi-user profiles especially because they want ever user to have their own device - I don't think any of the tablet makers do it?
    I believe you're right but I also think tablet makers are really missing an opportunity here, especially those that want to go up against the iPad. Supporting multiple profiles - multiple logins like a PC essentially - will encourage use in a one-tablet household. Kids can each check their own Facebook pages via the app, mom and dad can check their calendars, each can access their own email and their contacts. The more convenient the tablet is for everyone to use, the more contention there is for the one device and more demand within the household to buy another.

    Make it quick and easy to switch users on a tablet and you have a unique selling point that would be easy to feature in an ad, and it becomes a means to increase demand among existing users.

    My two cents...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions