Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    I wanted to enjoy the touchpad - I really tried. But I have two issues that make it dificult for me to justify keeping it right now.

First is the lack of document editing. I know it is supposed to come, but we don't know when.

Second is the buggy calendar app. The first bug I noticed was the default calendar selection in preferences. The label never changes even though you could select different default calendars. Then I noticed that you can't see an entire day on the screen without having to scroll. There is no more accordion compression and no way to scale the display for more hours to show.

I could probably live with all that for a while. But then I discover that the calendar app does not sync reliably with google calendars. According to a live chat rep, webOS only syncs with google one month back and two months forward. This is apparently a webOS limitation - a new limitation, because this was never the case on the pre. I use several calendars on google and frequently schedule events six months to a year in advance - with no issues on webOS in the past.

Well it just so happens that doc editing and calendaring are the most important functions I need in a tablet. Touchpad just isn't ready in those areas. If I was confident that these issues would be fixed in the next few weeks with what ever update is pending, I could wait, but let's face it - there is no good track record with HPalm. Promises [perceived or not] keep getting pushed back or completely abandoned.

I really wish someone could assure me that this tablet will do what I need because I love webOS, but I don't want to be stuck with an expensive device that will not perform the basic functions I'm looking for.
    Hey Rix!

I agree with most of your post! They should not have said it would have doc editing and not have it at launch. Laggy UI and just over all buggy software. I know this can be fix by OTA updates but one shouldnt have to wait for that...

I am taking a small break from HP/WebOS. I am getting into an Android device for the time being and in a few years I will look back into HP.

Good luck with whatever you do! Like you I will be waiting/returning TouchPad.
    SGIII SOON! (ATT)

Palm Pre- > HTC EVO 3D > HTC One X > Samsung GSIII

If any of my posts help you please thank me!!
    Hey... good idea. I mean you dont lose money by sending back and say they do update whether in 30 days or 30 months... you can then buy again if you are still in the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by rixpre2010 View Post
    I wanted to enjoy the touchpad - I really tried. But I have two issues that make it dificult for me to justify keeping it right now.

First is the lack of document editing. I know it is supposed to come, but we don't know when.

Second is the buggy calendar app. The first bug I noticed was the default calendar selection in preferences. The label never changes even though you could select different default calendars. Then I noticed that you can't see an entire day on the screen without having to scroll. There is no more accordion compression and no way to scale the display for more hours to show.

I could probably live with all that for a while. But then I discover that the calendar app does not sync reliably with google calendars. According to a live chat rep, webOS only syncs with google one month back and two months forward. This is apparently a webOS limitation - a new limitation, because this was never the case on the pre. I use several calendars on google and frequently schedule events six months to a year in advance - with no issues on webOS in the past.

Well it just so happens that doc editing and calendaring are the most important functions I need in a tablet. Touchpad just isn't ready in those areas. If I was confident that these issues would be fixed in the next few weeks with what ever update is pending, I could wait, but let's face it - there is no good track record with HPalm. Promises [perceived or not] keep getting pushed back or completely abandoned.

I really wish someone could assure me that this tablet will do what I need because I love webOS, but I don't want to be stuck with an expensive device that will not perform the basic functions I'm looking for.
    Wait the calender doesn't have the accordian thing.!!!!! I didn't look at the calendar when I played with it. I guess I made the mistake of assuming that it did. I loved the accordian thing it really set the calendar apart from other calendars. But since I didn't open calendar app in the 15 minutes I played with it I guess maybe the calendar app is designed in a way that it couldn't use the accordian thing but still. Oh well I decided to wait for now on the touchpad anyways. I think I'm going with the Samsung 10.1 until some updates come out for the touchpad.
    Last edited by spectre686; 07/08/2011 at 08:47 AM. Reason: typo
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts

I figured I'd put up a response since you were asking for assurances, not because you're saying it's going back.

While many of us share your frustrations, I have one question. Is there a tablet on the market which integrates calendars as well as the TPad does (with the exception of Google calendars at this time)?

We knew there would be no document editing available at first. I can't remember how much advanced notice we had on this one, but we knew it. The calendar issues you mentioned seem to be bugs that should be (better be LOL) fixed soon. The only exception may be the compression of free time.

If there is another device that meets your needs - by all means, go for it.
    I agree the calendar accordion is very useful.

I have 6 Google calendars that all sync flawlessly, beyond 2 months out. I just added a Nov 2011 event in TP calendar and another Nov 2011 event in Google. Both events synced successfully.

Doc editing: yeah definitely needed ASAP!

EDIT: ok, after looking at my existing future appointments, they aren't syncing to TP calendar until they are edited in Google calendar. Ugh.
    Last edited by PrinceAlbert; 07/08/2011 at 09:00 AM.
    I see pandas.
    sorli and grappler like this.
    I wanted to enjoy the touchpad - I really tried...
    And so it begins. I wonder how many Pre's you took back?
    strykr_ac likes this.
  8.    #8  
    The doc editing wasn't a killer. I expected that and was prepared to wait.

It's the calendar not syncing that really bothers me. What I have seen is new events - whether created on the TP or elsewhere - tend to sync. The problem is one-time events [repeating events don't tend to be a problem] that are already scheduled more than two months ahead when the calendar is added to the TP. Those events don't show up. I can delete them on the PC and recreate them and they will appear, but I don't have time to go through a years worth of 5 calenders day by day and recreate everything.

This morning one of my calendars was gone altogether even though it was still listed in the accounts. Hiding and unhiding didn't change a thing.

The sad thing is I have a cheap 7" Archos tablet that does all of this - doc editing and calendar syncing without trouble [no real multitasking though]. Android seems to be maturing much faster than webOS. But I love my Pre and I wanted something larger and faster and was excited to get the TP. I don't think I can go forward with HP without some confidence that they will correct these two basic issues.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Eagle View Post
    And so it begins. I wonder how many Pre's you took back?
    Actually I am still using my original Pre+ on verizon that I bought on day 2, 18 months ago.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    EDIT: ok, after looking at my existing future appointments, they aren't syncing to TP calendar until they are edited in Google calendar. Ugh.
    Yeah - therein lies the problem.
    rix, actually on one of my Google calendars, existing repeating events did not sync. I'm submitting, and hope they will address this.
    I see pandas.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    How is it that HP is going after the Enterprise segment when it can't sync a Google calendar more than 2 months out? A lot of businesses use Google Apps w/Calendar. This limitation is crazy and will cost them sales if it isn't addressed.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I certainly understand the OP's frustration. But in answer to the Enterprise chase, how does the calendar sync with Exchange? That's what most businesses use, google isn't secure enough.

I personally think the Calendar on webOS sucks ***** and what about memo's? HP really doesn't seem to be thinking in line with enterprise which is contrary to what they say. Hmmm...

In regards to webOS, sure seems to me they are still in the little fixes mode not changing things that really need to be changed. Calendar, Email, Memos (notes), Tasks. Document Editing. All things that are required for an enterprise solution.
    Dan
    Understand the OP's situation perfectly. For me the killer was Kindle not working and to lesser extent no calculator. C'mon HP really! Those coupled with all the other issues...

Anyway, I took mine back to BestBuy. I just don't have any confidence in HP coming up with OTA update(s) that will fix all these issues. Their silence is deafening! Meanwhile I plan to sit on the sidelines for a while and see if they do any better in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by MortiseMaker View Post
    Understand the OP's situation perfectly. For me the killer was Kindle not working and to lesser extent no calculator. C'mon HP really! Those coupled with all the other issues...

Anyway, I took mine back to BestBuy. I just don't have any confidence in HP coming up with OTA update(s) that will fix all these issues. Their silence is deafening! Meanwhile I plan to sit on the sidelines for a while and see if they do any better in the future.
    silence = no info on if there will be a Kindle app.

silence != knowing there will definitely be one, but arrival date is unclear.

ps, I agree with the OP's frustrations about the calendar app. Not enough to dump a product, but enough to send my thoughts to HP. Whoever decided to add the calendar limits to webOS 2.x should have been fired, and whoever decided to remove the compression so we can't see an entire day should be right behind. Hopefully they are the same person...

I am hopeful that 3rd party developers will be able to fix those, and several other gripes I have. If Palm wants us to depend on gmail for PIM capabilities, they need to really make gmail integration permeate every aspect of webOS. IMHO.

but, they are irritations to me, not show stoppers.
    Big 'ole DITTO here regarding the calendar.

I had yet to look forward very far in the Calendar (only had TP under 48 hours), so did not realize issue with future events.

Also, I really love the accordion effect on free time, so I do hope it comes back!
    I see pandas.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Whoever decided to add the calendar limits to webOS 2.x should have been fired,
    Are you saying that the same calendar sync limitations are in webOS 2.x? I was seriously thinking about upgrading my Pre to a Pre2 - but not if that is the case.
    I think it wouldn't affect you if you are already using a 1.x profile and apply it to a 2.x phone. Unless you remove and then add the account back in.

for that there is a 2.x patch in Preware that makes your first sync include many months in both directions. Hopefully that will be adapted for the TP soon, too.

ps, the Pre2 rocks, and it's worth it unless your phone is primarily for scheduling appointments waaaaay in the future.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Sorry to hijack, slightly, but does the TP work OK with the Google Docs websites, for editing docs and viewing your calendar?
    1.x, 2.x and now 3.x calendar sucks, it may suck till 5.0 since 4.0 will be looking for integrating phone and tab softwares. H/P just doesnt have enough coders and senior managers and email and calendar are low priority. They just need to hire some calendar app developers from iOS and make them work hard.
    Last edited by kkhanmd; 07/08/2011 at 03:41 PM.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    PrinceAlbert likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast