Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Weaser999
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Have seen the new TouchPad advertisemetns today on both USA and Discovery. Saw the MP one and the RB one. The Russel Brand one was funny. The Manny commercial was kind of a rehash of the Veer commercials.

Has anyone else seen them yet? Any others?
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    ive seen some on CNBC =]
  3. AZ8
    As an outsider.......I have to say the new commercials for both the Veer and the TP are not very effective. Why? Well, here is just one man's opinion:

I can't relate to Manny Pacquiao, Russel Brand and most certaintly Lady Gaga. All famous and all very rich. If they don't like a recent purchase...eh, they move on and buy something else.

I can't. If I fork over $600 for a tablet, Im pretty much stuck with it past the return date. Their world is much different than ours. Just like I can't relate to NFL players, movie stars or famous politicians.

Now here are a couple of Verizon commercials I can relate to. And are actually pretty funny. The guy buying the tablet with the salewoman reading his mind is freaking hilarious!! Now these represent us! Im the guy looking to buy the tablet...your average blue collar Joe America. I think Verizon hit a home run with this type of campaign.

Anyways....just an opinion. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ8 View Post
    As an outsider.......I have to say the new commercials for both the Veer and the TP are not very effective. Why? Well, here is just one man's opinion:

I can't relate to Manny Pacquiao, Russel Brand and most certaintly Lady Gaga. All famous and all very rich. If they don't like a recent purchase...eh, they move on and buy something else.

I can't. If I fork over $600 for a tablet, Im pretty much stuck with it past the return date. Their world is much different than ours. Just like I can't relate to NFL players, movie stars or famous politicians.

Now here are a couple of Verizon commercials I can relate to. And are actually pretty funny. The guy buying the tablet with the salewoman reading his mind is freaking hilarious!! Now these represent us! Im the guy looking to buy the tablet...your average blue collar Joe America. I think Verizon hit a home run with this type of campaign.

Anyways....just an opinion. Enjoy.

Unfortunately a lot of people worship celebrities. They feel that they can be just as successful if they copy everything that the celebrity does or if they buy what they think the celebrity buys. How many kids bought Air Jordans thinking that the shoes would make them fly through the air like Mike? There was even a movie made about those shoes. You or I may not like it but these campaigns are highly effective. If the Touchpad could pull in just 1/10th of Lady Gaga's supporters it will be a huge hit.
    Does this mean it's no longer a soft launch?
    The super-stars have an appeal to a broad audience though AZ8. Most people would think, Wow Russel Brand thinks that tablet can do everything he wants to do and he's got a busy life...I wonder if I could use that tablet like him.
    Not me but just saying the folks in the marketing department at HP are pretty good at what they do...considering they're a huge company and they probably find some professional marketing folk to do it.
    My two cents.
    Here's an interesting article about hard/soft launch
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/07/bu...ewanted=2&_r=1
    What channels are people seeing these ads on? I'm waiting around lol really want to see part of this launch live.
    there has been no ad campaign for the pre2, veer, or touchpad so far
    I kinda agree with AZ8, but there's also something to be said about a celebrity's image power.

However, on a funny note, that guy in the Xoom VZW ad is anything BUT your average blue collar Joe America. Sadly, Joe can't afford a tablet...
    HP should then make a commercial with a homeless guy pushing a shopping cart down the wide walk and using his Touchpad to navigate to the nearest food bank. It makes sense to have celebrities advertise products due to the fact that image and emotion sells products. Tablets are probably aimed at the middle to upper class demographic anyways.
    dj ozone likes this.
    Ads with celeberities just get the mindshare of people, kind of creating awareness about a product... In addition, celeberities make you watch the ad. Otherwise you will be working on your remote. Take FMCG ads for example. Do you think any product is better than the other? But with ads, they stay on your mind.
    Once again, what channel are they on?
    Really? First two posts: CNBC, USA and Discovery.
    Ah just wondered if any other channels had them.
    Saw one during The Daily Show on Comedy Central