Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    I bought my 32GB TouchPad this morning at 7:00 from Sams and I rushed to the office to play with my new 'productivity tool' ;-).

    I know the settings for our wifi at work, and use it on my laptop. It is WPA2, AES, PEAP-GTC, LDAP, non-broadcasted SSID. I entered my SSID, my username and password... the status shows "association failed" on the list of networks and I get "Username or password is invalid" on the credentials panel.

    I copied the "trusted server" certificates off of my laptop to the TP and loaded the certificates in the manager.

    Same results.

    I tried chatting with Palm support this morning and basically they just copied and pasted the specs on supported network types.

    Any further ideas?

    ps.. WiFi does work.. I was able to connect at Starbucks and to a co-worker's Sprint MiFi.

    If I can't get this to connect at work I will have to return it... and will be getting an iPad2... which I REALLY don't want to do.
  2. #2  
    I don't have a similar setup to that to try. I had to copy my certs to the touchpad and then the PEAP connection worked.

    Hopefully someone here has a similar setup and can help you out!
  3.    #3  
    Yeah, I saw your post and got excited that copying and installing the certs would have been a quick fix. Thanks for posting your info. I'm sure there are others that it will help.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by satterwc View Post
    I bought my 32GB TouchPad this morning at 7:00 from Sams and I rushed to the office to play with my new 'productivity tool' ;-).

    I know the settings for our wifi at work, and use it on my laptop. It is WPA2, AES, PEAP-GTC, LDAP, non-broadcasted SSID. I entered my SSID, my username and password... the status shows "association failed" on the list of networks and I get "Username or password is invalid" on the credentials panel.

    I copied the "trusted server" certificates off of my laptop to the TP and loaded the certificates in the manager.

    Same results.

    I tried chatting with Palm support this morning and basically they just copied and pasted the specs on supported network types.

    Any further ideas?

    ps.. WiFi does work.. I was able to connect at Starbucks and to a co-worker's Sprint MiFi.

    If I can't get this to connect at work I will have to return it... and will be getting an iPad2... which I REALLY don't want to do.
    Not glad to hear that. I have had the same problem with my Pre and our enterprise wirelesss. It had worked until the certs ran out; I got the supposed new ones, added them, and it has never worked since, even though the certs are up to date. I am really afraid I will be in the same boat. My IT people threw up their hands on the Pre...but I will have to have access on the TP. I am going to try it over the next few days. HOpefully someone can find an answer for you....but I am concerned that the Palm cert system has some kind of requirements that may not accept some active certs. I will follow with interest.
  5. lancepr's Avatar
    Posts
    125 Posts
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    #5  
    did you try the HP butler service? I would try talking to a higher level support person
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by lancepr View Post
    did you try the HP butler service? I would try talking to a higher level support person
    I did, but didn't press for an escalation at the time. I was hoping that importing the certs would have fixed it. That not being the case, I will try again tomorrow.

    Thanks!
  7. wheezy's Avatar
    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    #7  
    ask your it guy what the beacon interval is.. We had to set ours to 400 to get mine to connect
  8. #8  
    Another thing to check with your IT is whether Domain is required for login; you might want to try logging in with '<Domain>\<Username>' in the 'Username' field?
  9. #9  
    I cannot even us the Touchpad on wifi in my office at HP!!!
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by iamhives View Post
    I cannot even us the Touchpad on wifi in my office at HP!!!
    This is so hilarious. On the other hand this should guarantee a speedy patch update.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by wheezy View Post
    ask your it guy what the beacon interval is.. We had to set ours to 400 to get mine to connect
    LOL.. about that. We have around 8000 people in IT. It will take a while to find the right person at some other campus. If you are talking about adjusting the beacon interval on the access points, that won't happen because they would have to change it on hundreds of access points at many locations, just to support TouchPad, when iPad and 'droid are working fine. Granted, it would be centrally administered, but ricking destabilizing the infrastructure because one guy (me) decided to go off of the path won't happen, IT Director or not.

    Quote Originally Posted by newsalt View Post
    Another thing to check with your IT is whether Domain is required for login; you might want to try logging in with '<Domain>\<Username>' in the 'Username' field?
    No domain is needed, it's a flat LDAP. Just employee number and password.

    Quote Originally Posted by iamhives View Post
    I cannot even us the Touchpad on wifi in my office at HP!!!
    I needed that laugh. Thanks!
  12. mpachis's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    #12  
    I'm an IT Director and we are evaluating iPads and I had my staff bring in a TouchPad since I'm a WebOS fan.

    The iPad2's connected to our secure network no problem. The TouchPad could not, so I had my network engineer look at the error being generated.

    What is happening is the TouchPad is using CHAP for authentication which sends passwords in the clear. Our Active Directory and our Cisco gear do not support CHAP for authentication because it is not secure. It would support MS-CHAP but you cannot configure the wireless properties.

    Either the TouchPad does not support MS-CHAP or it does not auto configure correctly. The iPad2 does not allow you to configure the authentication protocol, but it does determine which one to use.

    I would like to bring this to HP's attention does anybody know the best channel to use? In an enterprise environment this is a requirement or the TouchPad can't play on a secure network.
    phil71 and Mordac like this.
  13. dale46's Avatar
    Posts
    139 Posts
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    #13  
    Interesting read, especially the last from mpachis.

    My corporate network is WPA2, AES, LEAP, LDAP, non-broadcasted SSID. I connected by entering the SSID (case sensitive) and specifying Enterprise. LEAP ID and password got me in.

    This was actually how I connected my pre- shortly after its release and before I went to 2.1. For my TouchPad, I used Save and Restore to transfer all my account and wifi info. Worked great.

    It is great to see the focus to identify corporate requirements. My company has focused on Apple and created a lot of non-standard web sites to accommodation it.
    Last edited by Dale46; 07/08/2011 at 06:11 PM.
  14. #14  
    I can't get my TouchPad to connect via WiFi to either my corporate network or my home network. I didn't try much on the corp. network as by the time UPS arrived with the TouchPad on Friday I was just about to leave the office... then I was off all week this week. I took an Overdrive camping with me this week and have been using the TouchPad on that with no issue. Just got home today and tried to connect to my home WiFi, but no luck there either. My AP is a Cisco Aironet 1240AG which is a real pain to configure. I believe I have it set up to be WPAv2 w/AES encryption and a PSK. Works fine on the iPad, my Windows 7 laptops, the Wii, the PS3, the Evo and I believe even my wife's Pre... no such luck on the iPad.

    Work is similar to what others have reported WPA Enterprise (I believe v2) w/AES (and I think maybe TKIP). I'm pretty sure it uses MS-CHAP for the password. The Wifi controller then takes that password and uses RADIUS to authenticate against our Windows domain. Again, works great on the iPad, Evo, Windows CE devices and (used to at least) even the Pre.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by StarDestroyer View Post
    [...] Just got home today and tried to connect to my home WiFi, but no luck there either. My AP is a Cisco Aironet 1240AG which is a real pain to configure. I believe I have it set up to be WPAv2 w/AES encryption and a PSK. Works fine on the iPad, my Windows 7 laptops, the Wii, the PS3, the Evo and I believe even my wife's Pre... no such luck on the iPad.
    I got it working on my home network.... I enabled TKIP as well as AES and took my WPA down to just "WPA" instead of "WPAv2"... not sure which of those changed made the difference, but one of them seemed to.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by mpachis View Post
    Either the TouchPad does not support MS-CHAP or it does not auto configure correctly. The iPad2 does not allow you to configure the authentication protocol, but it does determine which one to use.
    I still can't get the TP to connect to my work network. It is, in fact, an 802.11g network using WPA Enterprise and supporting WPA-AES, WPA-TKIP, and WPA2-AES. I think mpachis hit the nail right on the head as it uses MS-CHAP to send a username and password over RADIUS to a Windows domain controller which then does the authentication. I have verified that the authentication request never reaches the RADUIS server by looking at the server's logs.

    Quote Originally Posted by mpachis View Post
    I would like to bring this to HP's attention does anybody know the best channel to use? In an enterprise environment this is a requirement or the TouchPad can't play on a secure network.
    I am also a Network Administrator who would like to use a few TouchPads (we're looking to buy a half-dozen or so tablets within probably the next month)... however, if it can't authenticate to our Wifi network, that won't be possible and I'll probably be forced to go with the iPad. FYI - my iPad and Evo both connect with no problem. I also have a few Windows CE devices on this W-LAN w/out issue. I'm about 80% sure I've connected a Pre- to this AP.
  17.    #17  
    StarDestroyer, and all of the rest that are following this... I wanted to give a small update:

    I've submitted logs to HP dev via a PreCentral liaison. Hopefully I will hear something back soon. Otherwise... back it goes.

    The funny thing is our CIO asked me how it was going with the TouchPad since he is intrigued by the OS and heard some analysts speak highly of it. I had to tell him that it is a bit rough around the edges, but so was iPad when it was initially released. I see a lot of promise, but ultimately, it won't work on our WiFi (and iPad and Androids do).

    I'll hold off until the over the air update later this month and hope I hear back from HP before then. I have 90 days to return to Sam's, so I'm not in a major rush, but the money could be spent on a tablet I could actually use instead of having an expensive toy for home use.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by iamhives View Post
    I cannot even us the Touchpad on wifi in my office at HP!!!
    In order to use a WebOS device to get secure access within HP, you have to sign up for the MMS (Managed Mobility Service) first. Then use the standard steps to connect.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by horseybob View Post
    In order to use a WebOS device to get secure access within HP, you have to sign up for the MMS (Managed Mobility Service) first. Then use the standard steps to connect.
    I have MMS access and can access my Hp email via exchange (e.g. At home). I just cannot connect to wifi in the hp office.
  20. Mordac's Avatar
    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    #20  
    I'd like to add a 'me too' to this. My TP & Pre- have never successfully connected to my university's secure wireless network. -M
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions