Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
    Global Posts
    499 Global Posts
    I used to have a Palm Pre. My current phone is Android (Samsung Galaxy S2) and I have an iPad as well as a Xoom. I recently bought a Touchpad to replace the Xoom. Using the Touchpad over the last week, I find that whenever I go to use my phone or my other tablets, I am always trying to swipe up from the bottom of the screen to minimize the app I'm in.

It's so much more eloquent than mashing buttons. Has anyone else's mobile life been ruined by WebOS? Please share.
    Quote Originally Posted by greyhulk View Post
    I used to have a Palm Pre. My current phone is Android (Samsung Galaxy S2) and I have an iPad as well as a Xoom. I recently bought a Touchpad to replace the Xoom. Using the Touchpad over the last week, I find that whenever I go to use my phone or my other tablets, I am always trying to swipe up from the bottom of the screen to minimize the app I'm in.

It's so much more eloquent than mashing buttons. Has anyone else's mobile life been ruined by WebOS? Please share.
    In other words.. webOS ROCKS YOUR WORLD!! =P
    in my best Beavis voice, "No back swipe for my TP!"
    I see pandas.
    Global Posts
    499 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    In other words.. webOS ROCKS YOUR WORLD!! =P
    Yes. Although it is a tad frustrating to pick up an Android device and constantly try to swipe up to minimize the app. It's worse on my iPad, which I only really use to play games now. When I get a new e-mail, I try to swipe up to minimize the game so I can open my email app.
    sketch42 likes this.
    No it has not ruined anything for me.

But i understand what you're saying. It's all about adjusting to a new interface. When i first got my pre i was always having a dedicated back button. It was confusing not to but i eventually adjusted. But the same thing happens for me with other things. My ipod has a hold switch that kills all the buttons. I always mistake the power button on my pre for that ipod hold switch. I'll slide the power button thinking now nothing in my pocket will wake it but it does.

There's just a bit of a learning curve for all O.S. But i'm sure others have found themselves swiping on a nonwebos phone. Just from my perspective i adapt pretty fast and nothing is "ruined. "
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    in my best Beavis voice, "No back swipe for my TP!"
    yeah i don't get why they did that. It annoyed the me doing the demo. Stuff worked a bit different then i expected with that.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    This also happens to me. Swiping up is such a natural gesture it becomes a second nature, everytime I'm using another device I ended up doing without thinking it.
    Global Posts
    499 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    yeah i don't get why they did that. It annoyed the me doing the demo. Stuff worked a bit different then i expected with that.
    I miss the back and forward swipe as well. It would seem that in an effort to evolve the OS, they took away something that made it unique and fun to use.
    Yes it has! I'm really spoiled now. That's why I'm still using my Pre- instead of a super Android phone.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Yes, when I went to go buy a tablet, I really, really wanted to see the superiority of the Android tablets. They all felt cheap and cumbersome to use so I got a Playbook, which feels like WebOS, instantly.
    Palm III -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Sprint FrankenPixi+ -> Blackberry Bold 9930
    lbray,

I have a Sprint Pre that's falling apart (yeah can you feel sorry for me now), but I refuse to give it up because of the way webOS works and helps me manage my life. I thought last January that the Touchpad would be ready for the masses. I saved up my Christmas money to buy one to replace my dying laptop. When I found out it would not be released until mid-year I got very discouraged and bought an Android 2.2 Tablet. Bad mistake! Although I think very highly of Android, I kept wishing that it would behave like webOS! I found myself using my Pre to do things instead of the tablet. I saved up some more money and bought the Touchpad on launch day. I gave the Android tablet to the wife and don't miss it at all. Yeah my webOS addiction cost me an additional $400 but my wife is semi-happy (she wants me to get her a 7inch webOS tablet and give the Android tablet to our daughter).
    Android 2.2 isn't really made for tablets.
    when im typing on my computer i hit shift to type the numbers then it comes up with an ! instead of a 1 and i get confused
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    k4ever
    I have only half a WebOS addiction I guess. I still have my Pixi and it is very capable. The unfortunate thing about all tablets is that none of them have a physical keyboard.

Since the Touchpad has the general slab form factor, I compared the Playbook and Touchpad. In the phone world, I would never buy a keyboard-less phone so there is the Pixi, about 2 Android devices and Blackberrys. WebOS works the best for me on phones so I have the Pixi. There was no compelling reason the buy the Touchpad over the Playbook since neither have keyboards. I'd say it would be a tossup for most folks between these two.
    Palm III -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Sprint FrankenPixi+ -> Blackberry Bold 9930
    the ui on webos rocks. gestures should be adopted by other platforms
    My name is Bill and I am a webOSholic
    When I bought the ipad, I would constantly try to swipe back, etc. Was always disappointed when I'd have to hit the home button all the time. I do the same thing with my ipod touch. I'm not a big button masher fan.
    on the comparison reviews iPad2 vs. Touchpad. I can always tell who is more comfortable with webOS and who is more comfortable with iOS but the up swipe. Some try to upswipe on the iPad and some only press the center button on the Touchpad. It is very telling. Which is why I find TechHarvest videos so interesting. He is obviously not a webOS user (check out his use of the center button) but very positive about the Touchpad.
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    the ui on webos rocks. gestures should be adopted by other platforms
    RIM's QNX sure did. I've tried adding gesture commands for certain things on my ipod touch via Activator... It doesn't work as well as i'd like. lol
    Yea webOS UI ruined me!...my brain is wired the pre way now so its uncomfortable and irritating playing around on an android or iOS device...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast