Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Being in our IT department I get an opportunity to give suggestions for what types of hardware/devices we could use, etc...

At the requests of some upper management, we started deploying some Apple products (iPhones/iPads) cause that was the cool thing (I guess).

While I am partial to webOS, I tend to push those products a little harder than others. A few of our upper management folks are looking to replace their already tiny laptops for some tablet devices.

All the basically need is email and internet access, be able to display photos and videos, PDFs and give presentations (ala Powerpoint).

One of the folks up the food chain happened to stumble upon a TouchPad at a local Best Buy and with his prior knowledge of the products and software (via Me), he found it very intriguing, however, the question he asked is, "Can I hook this TouchPad to a projector or monitor display for giving presentations, etc...?"

As far as I know, this is not possible with the current TouchPad due to lack of hardware supporting features, correct? I know the iPhone/iPad crowd can with a dongle attachment to VGA, etc...

Maybe there is a projector or even newer monitor displays that can do a presentation via wi-fi/bluetooth?

Sucks, but it looks like on that fact alone (right now), the TouchPad wouldn't work for us (Sales/Management folk) for giving presentations. They will most likely go the route of the iPad.

Anyone have any further ideas or possibilities where this could be even remotely possible with the TouchPad? One can hope for something like video out in a future version I guess.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    there is no way to do this. This is a very hot topic out here and for me, there was no excuse for HP to leave this feature out. They keep saying this is a great business device.... uuummmm not really. Today, this is a toy and that's it.

Also, I don't think there is a way to go into presentation mode on a powerpoint - which is another requirement.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    there are wireless projectors, not sure if they'll work with the touchpad....
    mightymeeting is the closest...essentially you run a livemeeting style presentation w pc hooked up projector and use TP to advance slides
    does mighty meeting let you go into presentation mode for powerpoints? Today, no way to get into presentation mode which is a bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    mightymeeting is the closest...essentially you run a livemeeting style presentation w pc hooked up projector and use TP to advance slides
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    there is no way to do this. This is a very hot topic out here and for me, there was no excuse for HP to leave this feature out. They keep saying this is a great business device.... uuummmm not really. Today, this is a toy and that's it.

Also, I don't think there is a way to go into presentation mode on a powerpoint - which is another requirement.
    Well I was hoping that Quick Office would take care of that (at some point).

Quote Originally Posted by akshunj View Post
    there are wireless projectors, not sure if they'll work with the touchpad....
    Would be interesting to see if that would be possible via wi-fi or bluetooth or combo of both. Would require the other device to support it and the TouchPad to be able to push a signal via those technologies. Having an external adapter much like the dongle for the iPad to hook to older projectors that lack wi-fi/bluetooth would be beneficial to have on the TouchPad.

Would be close, but having to rely on a computer is not what our folks would be looking for. They essential would like to be able to ditch their current computers in favor of a tablet for the basics (email, presentations, photos/videos, etc...)

Hopefully, HP adds something as such to their next versions/lines of the TouchPads. Having a way to do presentations from a tablet device is a very business like feature that the TouchPad is currently lacking which in turn draws our people to look at the competition.

Don't get me wrong, personally I love webOS and having only played with a TouchPad at a local Best Buy, I'd surely like one for myself. Having used an iPad and other Android tablets, I can say that what webOS has going for it would work well for businesses if the toolbox was full of all the essential tools.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    It's strange.... If HP is truly pushing to provide mobile devices for the business world, one would think that providing the ability to run presentations from a tablet would have been identified early on as a basic requirement.

Either they didn't have time to deliver that functionality by their lanch deadline, or the goal for business-world applications came late in the development. Or they opted for what's behind door #3 - to rely on a 3rd-party solution like that MightyMeeting site for some reason.

On a side note, I can see how tablets may be desired by some. Mainly the executive types who don't do much else than read email, documents and webpages. Anybody who's a worker bee simply can't because of the limited power and inability to run in-house applications.
    Tikkanen likes this.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbz View Post
    On a side note, I can see how tablets may be desired by some. Mainly the executive types who don't do much else than read email, documents and webpages. Anybody who's a worker bee simply can't because of the limited power and inability to run in-house applications.
    Correct. The people in our company that would opt for something like this is those upper management and mid management folks that already have a small laptop (no netbook, no cd/dvd drive, etc...). A tablet would be a replacement for those folks with their basic needs.

As for our other traveling engineers/sales folks, a tablet wouldn't be all that useful for what they do. Still trying to make my case for one in IT.

they are bound to figure this out. There will be a solution, and soon. If they are serious about this platform, they have something up their sleeve.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWLandfair View Post
    they are bound to figure this out. There will be a solution, and soon. If they are serious about this platform, they have something up their sleeve.
    One can hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbz View Post
    It's strange.... If HP is truly pushing to provide mobile devices for the business world, one would think that providing the ability to run presentations from a tablet would have been identified early on as a basic requirement.

Either they didn't have time to deliver that functionality by their lanch deadline, or the goal for business-world applications came late in the development. Or they opted for what's behind door #3 - to rely on a 3rd-party solution like that MightyMeeting site for some reason.

There is another option. They disagree that this is a vital necessity.
    Quote Originally Posted by oakridge outdoors View Post
    Well I was hoping that Quick Office would take care of that (at some point).

Would be interesting to see if that would be possible via wi-fi or bluetooth or combo of both. Would require the other device to support it and the TouchPad to be able to push a signal via those technologies. Having an external adapter much like the dongle for the iPad to hook to older projectors that lack wi-fi/bluetooth would be beneficial to have on the TouchPad.

Would be close, but having to rely on a computer is not what our folks would be looking for. They essential would like to be able to ditch their current computers in favor of a tablet for the basics (email, presentations, photos/videos, etc...)

Hopefully, HP adds something as such to their next versions/lines of the TouchPads. Having a way to do presentations from a tablet device is a very business like feature that the TouchPad is currently lacking which in turn draws our people to look at the competition.

Don't get me wrong, personally I love webOS and having only played with a TouchPad at a local Best Buy, I'd surely like one for myself. Having used an iPad and other Android tablets, I can say that what webOS has going for it would work well for businesses if the toolbox was full of all the essential tools.
    at our work each conference room projector is hooked up to a built-in PC. So using mightymeeting would work in situations similar to mine.
    the lack of video out still amazes me. As a student it really hampers my desire as I do need a device I cna hook up directly to a projector quite frequently and until there is some solution for the touchpad I wish I could justify the 600 dollars for it.
    I can only hope that they will come up with some sort of device that can do it via bluetooth, DLNA or WebEx type of Meeting APP. A lot of companies will holdout or not buy it due to this reason.
    it doesn't help that with iOS5, the iPad with an Apple TV will do full mirroring on the device, ANY app. Apple TV costs only a little more than a couple adapters and a cable... Wish TP had something like this coming
  16.    #16  
    I had one of our users stop by this morning asking me if I knew anything about the TouchPad.. ha ha... no I don't...

He said he stopped by a Best Buy to look over the options. He travels about 80 percent of the time for our work and gives many presentations. He was wow'd by the TouchPad over the other options available.

The first thing he asked me (after if I knew about the TouchPad)... "Does this thing do presentations to a projector or monitor?"

Lost another one folks.

I wonder how hard it would be for HP to create an accessory like a little/portable device that can connect to a projector/monitor and then via wi-fi to the TouchPad to get around this business limitation*.

*So far after talking to about 20 people about business uses for a tablet device, 19 said that a video out to projector/monitor is a must and would be a major factor in whether they would get a TouchPad over some other device that could do that.

On a side note, I am a little excited that some other people I work with have seen/played with a TouchPad/webOS and now have that in their mind instead of me talking about it all the time.

Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    at our work each conference room projector is hooked up to a built-in PC. So using mightymeeting would work in situations similar to mine.

Yeah, I can see this being the case for many places. Unfortunately, I work for a fairly large company with a number of security ****s in the IT division. In order to prevent people from inappropriately taking proprietory information (theft), they have everything locked down. This includes needing biometric USB drives which logs each file transfer, most data sharing websites, etc.

The most common method for transferring files is via email, which is also logged. That's where the attorneys get nervous about sending confidential information, especially outside the Company.

This may sound extreme to some (including me), but these policies are in place because of people doing stupid things.

The result is people have to use laptops in many situations for presentations. I'm sure my company is not alone with this. Tablet functionality would be very helpful under these circumstances.
    Perhaps the Blackberry presenter may be the solution? It connects via Bluetooth, but the necessary software is required to connect to the Presenter tho :P
    Don't remember the name of the app right now, but there's one that is specifically designed to control control presentation in Powerpoint or Impres. It does this over WiFi to a PC connected to the projector. I'll try to find the name.
    Gomez he developed a power point controller for the pre, works pretty well, i had issues with win 7 64 bit, but once set up it ran not too bad
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast