Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By richardtank
  1.    #1  
    Mistakenly charged my Pre- with the HP TouchPad home charger and noticed it charged faster than usual. Also noticed the rate of battery drain when freetether is on is much slower when using the TouchPad charger.

Anyone else made such an observation?
    ~~~Asaseaban~~~
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    The TPad's charger is more powerful than the Pre. I first plugged my Pre's charger into my TPad at my office because I left the TPad charger in the box out in the car. I got an error message on the TPad saying I was using the wrong charger and the battery wouldn't recharge.

It may seem like your Pre battery lasts longer in the short term. I wouldn't be surprised if it's slowly killing the Pre's battery over the long term though. I've had that happen before with laptops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbz View Post
    The TPad's charger is more powerful than the Pre. I first plugged my Pre's charger into my TPad at my office because I left the TPad charger in the box out in the car. I got an error message on the TPad saying I was using the wrong charger and the battery wouldn't recharge.

It may seem like your Pre battery lasts longer in the short term. I wouldn't be surprised if it's slowly killing the Pre's battery over the long term though. I've had that happen before with laptops.
    The HP rep demoing the prerelease units replaced all his pre chargers with touchpad ones. He seemed to think it was ok. Considering that he was one of the people making the thing, I'd take his word for it.....
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Pumping around 6mA instead of 2! I have been using mine to "quick" charge my pre
    I can't remember where, but I recall seeing or reading a comment on that by someone from HP saying that with all the battery protection circuitry on the HP phones it was fine to use the Touchpad charger.
    Question here:

Will using the TouchPad charger in conjunction with the Pre touchstone charge it faster?
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    Question here:

Will using the TouchPad charger in conjunction with the Pre touchstone charge it faster?
    Sounds more like a faster way of frying an egg on the Pre's back!
    Rennat likes this.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    As lance mentioned, it's the current output. My Pre plus charger provides up 1.0 amp @ 5.0 volts, but the touchpad charger provides 2.0 amps @ 5.3 volts... I suppose you could see the difference with one the battery apps.
    I didn't expect this. The charge current is regulated by the chip in the battery.
    Someone could compare the charge current with govnah or dr.battery starting at the same % (e.g. 10% left)
    Usually it will be around 600mA but I saw 700+mA on my Mugen.