Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I'm in the process of transferring some of my dvd's that I have on my computer to the touchpad (file type mp4) and for some reason the touchpad wont display the file name or thumb image. It only displays the length of the movie and a generic pic. The movie plays fine so I know the transfer worked correctly. Can anyone tell me what I may be doing wrong or how to correct this.

Update:
    I have found the solution to the problem with a lot of help from other members. There is a program called metaX on download.com that will automatically edit the picture and tag info so it displays correctly on the TouchPad. This has worked for all 15 movies I have converted thus far.
    Step 1. Open MetaX
    Step 2. In the upper left hand corner select open file and find the movie you wish to edit and select open.
    Step 3. In the search bar make sure the name of the movie is correct if not enter the correct name of the movie and press search.
    Step 4. In the search results find the link that best matches your movie and select it.
    Step 5. Place a check next to any or all of the info you want placed on the tag for that movie.
    Step 6. Press write Queue ( The big red arrow on top)
    Step 7. Transfer updated file to your touchPad and enjoy.
    Last edited by woodyg8; 08/30/2011 at 07:09 PM.
    I don't think there is a way to correct it, I just put movies in separate folders.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    at least you can see ure movies.... I'm trying to figure out why I cant even see my folders or files =\
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    ijip,

If you have a windows computer connect your Touchpad to your computer using the usb cable. Once the Touchpad is properly mounted and you can view the drive, go to "My Computer", right click on the Touchpad drive letter and "Eject" it. Don't use "Safely Remove" because for some reason that causes issues with the Touchpad's internal drive. Once you eject the device go to the Photos and Videos App and see if your video is there now.
    ctoupin likes this.
    I'm also having the same issue with my videos. There is no name or thumbnail for the videos. Thank God I only put two videos on it. I chatted with an HP tech support person and he did not know how to fix it. He reported it to the engineering team. Hopefully it gets fixed soon. I can't load a lot of videos if I can't tell which ones they are on the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyg8 View Post
    I'm in the process of transferring some of my dvd's that I have on my computer to the touchpad (file type mp4) and for some reason the touchpad wont display the file name or thumb image. It only displays the length of the movie and a generic pic. The movie plays fine so I know the transfer worked correctly. Can anyone tell me what I may be doing wrong or how to correct this.
    If you can believe it, this is how the app is designed.

So to help out, try this. Through usb, you created a Movies folder or something, right. under this folder, create a new folder with each movie title. this is the workaround posted in a few other threads. worked for me.

I'm now running into a problem where movies over about 1.3gb won't display in photos & videos app. copied exactally as smaller flicks.

this video app/solution is pretty weak to say the least. For me, this device has a lot of promise, but I feel I may have purchased a product that is really still in beta, but at a full production price. Fool me once HP.... (i didn't buy the inital Pre, or I would have already been fooled once by Palm.)
    On Windows, I use the application "Mp3tag" (Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v2, MP4, OGG, FLAC, ...)) to add the information to the mp4 movie file including a "cover" picture (i.e. a scene from the movie).

The "cover" picture will show up as an thumb image on the TouchPad. BTW this works too for mp3 music file ;-)
    Hello Everyone -

New user on the forum. Just got my TouchPad, and overall I'm very happy with it. As an early iPad adopter, I'm really excited about it.

One problem that I can't figure out. I plugged the TP into my Mac, put it in USB mode and copied over a bunch of movies. I go to the video app, and the movies play wonderfully, but unfortunately, there are no titles or file-names associated with the movies -just a movie icon! Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    As of now, that's just the way it is. Hopefully that will be updated/corrected in the upcoming OTA update which hopefully isn't too far away.

-Skippy
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I have the same problem, and my movies came from a windows 7 usb way as well. They are also on my pre2 and their names show up there just fine.
    I've been through the desert on a horse with no name...j/k
    Yea, that seems like a basic thing to be left out.
    damdummy likes this.
    Hopefully there is a fix on the way... In the meantime, the best work-around I have found is to make a separate folder for each movie and name the folder the name of the movie it contains. (I nest all of my separate movie folders in one main folder labeled "Movies") This way you know what's what until HP addresses this.
    My movies have cover images. I believe it is because I added cover images to the files in iTunes before I copied them to the TouchPad. As I understand it, the cover images are stored as meta data in the movie file.
    damdummy likes this.
    Thanks everyone - it's nice to know it wasn't just me!
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Another thread someone said they worked around this issue by creating a folder in the Touchpad via USB mode, then they created folders with in the Movies folder, each with the name of a movie they were transferring over. Then transfer each movie into their respective folder. My TP doesn't come in till 7/20 so I haven't been able to confirm if that works but it's worth a try.
    I heard this is a feature. Definitely a differentiator from other tablets – no?
    Quote Originally Posted by ctoupin View Post
    On Windows, I use the application "Mp3tag" (Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v2, MP4, OGG, FLAC, ...)) to add the information to the mp4 movie file including a "cover" picture (i.e. a scene from the movie).

The "cover" picture will show up as an thumb image on the TouchPad. BTW this works too for mp3 music file ;-)
    Thanks that works for the cover, but I don't manage to get the name showing up...any idea? Alternatively I will apply to subfolder solution
    Quote Originally Posted by damdummy View Post
    Hello Everyone -

New user on the forum. Just got my TouchPad, and overall I'm very happy with it. As an early iPad adopter, I'm really excited about it.

One problem that I can't figure out. I plugged the TP into my Mac, put it in USB mode and copied over a bunch of movies. I go to the video app, and the movies play wonderfully, but unfortunately, there are no titles or file-names associated with the movies -just a movie icon! Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    HP has logged this in its software issue tracking system. We endeavor to continuously improve our software quality and thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are grateful to the community and will evaluate options based on customer feedback and software best practices.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Two ways around this bug.
    1. Make a folder for each movie with the name of the movie. Lame.
    2. Download the free file manager and then you can see the file names. What a concept, I know. Or you can purchase one of the more sophisticated file managers, but I found that this solves the issue of movies that are there that you can not see too. For me I was told by HP tech support, if you can't see it, then it isn't supported. WRONG!
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    There is a bug (IMHO) the way they display movies in the native app. They show no data, just a movie icon. No name, and some won't show up. Once they get too big.

Work around:

Go to the apps catalog. Do a search for file manager. There is a free one that works, but you have the scroll down and do local. Or you can buy the commercial one. Then go to /media/internal/ then wherever you have your files. Tap on the file you want to play. You can now see your file names and even those pesky files you could not even see.

There is some threads on here that shows how to rip your videos so you can see them, using hand brake. Works like a charm. I'm happy now. I'm just not thrilled to be having to re-rip all my movie formats to something that TP will see but I can live with that.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast