Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes
    Does anyone know what formats are supported? Is it an mp4 only system, and at that, is it an H.264 only player? I can't get anything to show up on my touchpad, I've tried moving things around, restarting, ejecting properly and unproperly, nothing seems to show up.

I've tried both AVIs and MKVs with not success, (both H264 streams) While I can do it, it is a pain to have to remux things into an MP4 container just to get them to show up. Heck, I would be happy if there was some sort of acknowledgement "Yes, I saw that file, but I don't support it."

Love the touchpad, but video playback from anything other than youtube is pretty poor (Hulu has some issues with me).
    Per the TouchPad's website: Video formats: MPEG-4, H.263, H.264

In case you haven't tried this... here's the best trick I've come up with until the update:
    • Create a folder on your root directory of the TouchPad called "Movies"
    • In that folder create a separate folder for each movie - name each folder the name of your movie.
    • Place each movie file in the appropriate folder (ie: "Iron Man" in the "Iron Man" folder)
    • Each movie folder should now show on the list on the left side of the Photo app.

This usually helps people locate and manage their movies a bit easier.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/19/2011 at 09:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post

In case you haven't tried this... here's the best trick I've come up with until the update:
    • In that folder create a separate folder for each movie - name each folder the name of your movie.
    • Place each movie file in the appropriate folder (ie: "Iron Man" in the "Iron Man" folder)
    • Each movie folder should now show on the list on the left side of the Photo app.

Do you have any idea what containers are supported? Is it just the fact that I'm using Avi's and MKVs that this doesn't work?
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I used DVDfab8 to rip my Dvds, none of them show up in the video/photo apps but I can find them using the app Gemini and they play just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by cogman View Post
    Do you have any idea what containers are supported? Is it just the fact that I'm using Avi's and MKVs that this doesn't work?
    Look at the first line of my post. The current supported container is mp4 using either the H.263 or H.264 codecs.
    Look at the first line of my post. The current supported container is mp4 using either the H.263 or H.264 codecs.
    The first line of your post says nothing about supported containers. MPEG-4, H.263, H.264 can all be stored in AVI, MKV, and MP4. Heck, when talking about supported codecs, MPEG-4, H.263, H.264 is pretty vague considering each of those standards have multiple parts and levels.

Either way, thanks, so it only supports an MP4 container. That is good to know.
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Ok, I must be doing something wrong. I copied an mp4 file to a newly created movies folder. Rebooted but the folder nor the movie is showing up in the Photo & Video app.

what am I missing?
    The first line of your post says nothing about supported containers. MPEG-4, H.263, H.264 can all be stored in AVI, MKV, and MP4. Heck, when talking about supported codecs, MPEG-4, H.263, H.264 is pretty vague considering each of those standards have multiple parts and levels.

Either way, thanks, so it only supports an MP4 container. That is good to know.
    Nope, my bad... was at work and hurried through some posts - sorry. The best way to get the correct settings is to just use Handbrake and let it do the work for you. Set it for the iPad setting and MP4 container and it will do the rest. I've converted several types of files using that and it's always converted correctly.

The MP4 container supports: MPEG-2 Part 2, MPEG-4 ASP, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, H.263, VC-1, Dirac as the standards...
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/20/2011 at 09:53 PM.
    Does anyone know what formats are supported? Is it an mp4 only system, and at that, is it an H.264 only player? I can't get anything to show up on my touchpad, I've tried moving things around, restarting, ejecting properly and unproperly, nothing seems to show up.

I've tried both AVIs and MKVs with not success, (both H264 streams) While I can do it, it is a pain to have to remux things into an MP4 container just to get them to show up. Heck, I would be happy if there was some sort of acknowledgement "Yes, I saw that file, but I don't support it."

Love the touchpad, but video playback from anything other than youtube is pretty poor (Hulu has some issues with me).
    I don't know if this is still the case, but on webOS phone, sometimes video resolution also matters. Higher than screen resolution video, even when in correct format, may not play.

Overall, touchpad video player is really no good, HP needs to either fix it, or get some 3rd party player on board soon.

--
    Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

What do you do with TV Shows Ex: True Blood Season 3 there is 12 episodes do you create Movies/True Blood/Season3/Folders 1,2,3 etc? Hope that HP corrects the Problem very soo as it's very annoying just my $0.02
    Cheers.
    HP support told me that handbrake would work (verified!), just use the default MP4 settings and be sure the file name ends in .mp4 not .m4v. Playback was slightly choppy for me, but works. You still have the problem where the thumbnail is blank and no file name though. I'm going to try that mp3tag program to see if it helps.
    Last edited by luisdg; 08/29/2011 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Added file type info.
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyg8 View Post
    I'm in the process of transferring some of my dvd's that I have on my computer to the touchpad (file type mp4) and for some reason the touchpad wont display the file name or thumb image. It only displays the length of the movie and a generic pic. The movie plays fine so I know the transfer worked correctly. Can anyone tell me what I may be doing wrong or how to correct this.

Update:
    I have found the solution to the problem with a lot of help from other members. There is a program called metaX on download.com that will automatically edit the picture and tag info so it displays correctly on the TouchPad. This has worked for all 15 movies I have converted thus far.
    Step 1. Open MetaX
    Step 2. In the upper left hand corner select open file and find the movie you wish to edit and select open.
    Step 3. In the search bar make sure the name of the movie is correct if not enter the correct name of the movie and press search.
    Step 4. In the search results find the link that best matches your movie and select it.
    Step 5. Place a check next to any or all of the info you want placed on the tag for that movie.
    Step 6. Press write Queue ( The big red arrow on top)
    Step 7. Transfer updated file to your touchPad and enjoy.
    please ..could you update the name right of the software ..i didn't found it
    thanks in advance
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lz1h38 View Post
    please ..could you update the name right of the software ..i didn't found it
    thanks in advance
    Try this link.

MetaX for Windows - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12